Topics

A question on exosgt2 with qhy polemaster

Hi guys,
I use my

EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System with a serial connection to the mount from my PC.

When setting up the polemaster from QHY, it has you move the mount
30° east or west.
What software do you guys use to move your mount if you have a serial connection to the mount?

Thanks,
Kevin Rea
Lancaster California USA

Jeff Snell

Hi Kevin.  I use CDC (Cartes du Ciel).  I connect to scope with POTH hub first,  Open CDC and connect the scope.  Unpark the scope. Open Polemaster and start the alignment process following the prompts.  CDC has a virtual handpad with adjustable speeds to slew.  Once complete with alignment which takes about 5 mins, I open APT and use that for astro photography.  I slew to a target with CDC once PA'd, usually something bright and identifiable, center the target through Live View on APT, then sync with CDC.

My Alabama brain wraps around the process nicely...it's really simple.

Jeff

PMC-Eight w/Explore Stars
ES ED80mm APO
Celestron 8" Edge HD
Canon Ti-5 w/ Spencer Camera Astro-mod

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 12:47 PM Kevin Rea <reakevinscott@...> wrote:
Hi guys,
I use my

EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System with a serial connection to the mount from my PC.

When setting up the polemaster from QHY, it has you move the mount
30° east or west.
What software do you guys use to move your mount if you have a serial connection to the mount?

Thanks,
Kevin Rea
Lancaster California USA

Chris Tardif

Astrophtography Tool.  There's a free version and its very simple.  As far as astro-photography software goes.
--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Wes Mcdonald

One can move the mount via an app.  But one can also just release the clutch and move the mount in ra manually.  It work fine that way with a polemaster at least for the exos2.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Mike Leemhuis

I use POTH and a serial connection to rotate my mount when doing a polar alignment.  I found that when you first start POTH it assumes you are pointing at polar north and the mount does not move in the direction or amounts that you might expect by the numbers on the POTH window.  But if you choose a certain move angle in POTH and then slew East or West, you can get the mount to rotate enough that your software can do a polar align.  You just need to understand the rotations you get with various inputs, I put a tilt gauge on my mount and measured the various rotations.  The table below shows the results.  This only applies when you first start up POTH and haven't moved off polar north.

image.png
The default rotation angle when POTH starts up is 30 minutes.  Thus if you just hit East twice, you will get almost 90 degrees of rotation.  I've found that you can actually get by with a lot less than that.  So I hope this helps.  I like to do as much from inside the house as possible - especially when it's cold outside!

Mike

--
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2
Scope: Explore Scientific ED102CF

Thanks Jeff
I will try that tonight.

Kevin

Hi Chris,
I have astrophotography tool, but it barely moves the scope when I press the east or west buttons.
It goes super slow. Probably take me 20 minutes to slew 30°.

Kevin

I believe I've read on a few different sites on YouTube for the polemaster, that you are not supposed to release the clutch and move the telescope that way.

Kevin

Wes Mcdonald

Kevin

Whatever.  I do it that way and have for years.  It works fine.  I dont do that now with my exos since I use NINA.  Polemaster does not care so long as you lock the ra axis before you tell it your move is over.  It just needs the thing to stay put.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Steve Siedentop

I’ve aligned with the PoleMaster by manually moving the mount for quite a while with no issues either.

I’ve been drift aligning with PHD2 lately while imaging from my backyard...no view to the north.  Now that I’m comfortable with it, drift alignment takes me about the same amount of time as the PoleMaster.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Chris Tardif

I seem to remember that as well.   I plate-solve now so I don't botter with manually moving it.  There is a mount panel in POTH you might try:

Also...Plate solving will change your life and you can build it into APT.  Install ASPS then it will magically find the target and put it dead center.  No manul slew or star alignment ever again.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
CameraASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

Thanks Jeff, the CDC worked very nicely for moving the mount east and west.

Hi Chris, if the poth direction mover for the scope you're talking about is the ascom pad, I was using that for quite a while but it quit working.

Kevin

Also,
What version of path are you using? My version does not have that little directional pad in it...
Kevin

Chris Tardif

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
CameraASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

Jeff Snell

Awesome Kevin!  Nice to know I can help out rather than always being helped😆

On May 12, 2020, at 7:07 PM, Kevin Rea <reakevinscott@...> wrote:

Thanks Jeff, the CDC worked very nicely for moving the mount east and west.

Robert Parks

Keven there is also a little checkbox in the POTH setup for "motion controls" that I believe you must check.
--
Robert Scott Parks - Northwest Arkansas, USA

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Polar Finder: EXOS II integrated with illuminated reticle
Telescope: Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 FCD1 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor
Finder: Telrad
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7", Dell Venue 10 Pro 32bit OS, Samsung Galaxy S20+
Steering Software: ExploreStars App, ASCOM/POTH + StellariumScope/Stellarium + Wifi Scope + SkySafari Pro

Thank you Jeff.

Kevin

Bill Black

Hi Kevin,
I use ASCOMPAD connected to ASCOM POTH for manual movements.
The ASCOM POTH works well, since I have several applications sending commands to the mount (Stellarium Scope, ASCOMPAD, and PHD).
The only drawback is that you can't look through an eyepiece or finder at the same time, since ASCOMPAD is running on the computer.
I understand that you can connect a game controller to ASCOMPAD and then you could actually have something in your hand to move the mount while using visually, but I haven't tried that yet.
--

Bill
Location: Dallas, GA

Mounts: EXOS II PMC-Eight, LXD75