Topics

#iexos-100 - issues with PDH2 guiding #iEXOS-100 #TECHNICAL

Edwin

Hi all!
i am having the following error and I am really hoping someone can give me some pointers in troubleshooting the below error I am having with phd2
1. When I do calibration - i did this by Vega it was high I did not get the 20 degree warning,
2. I am poth hub connected thru serial, after many days of trying to connect mount (special thank you to Chris Moses!!)
3. I have the mount iexos-100 mounted on a heavy duty tripod because my total load is about 22lb
so when calibrating I get
RA CALIBRATION FAILED BECAUSE STAR DID NOT MOVE ENOUGH.

after turning off pdh2, I just let it pick a guide star and start guiding after 30 seconds I get this error

PHD2 cannot make sufficient corrections in RA

i get this over and over, i do the manual pulses for 5 seconds, no problem, I have used the guide assistant and done whatever it has suggested

I wonder if iexos-100 is just not the mount for my equipment??

does anybody successfully guide with a telescope on this mount?

i have seen Jerry give troubleshooting videos but nothing like this errors.

if anyone can help with pointer so that I either move on to a different mount or just stick to using dslr on this mount just like a star tracker??

thank you!!!!!!!

———————--
Edwin Sanchez
IEXOS -100
ED-80 Triplet
Canon 6Ti
SVBONY 60mm guide
AZO ASI 120Mini

Edited

Edwin,

Don't worry - PHD2 can be a bit cranky.  Lots of people guiding with the iExos-100.
The EXOS-2 w/PHD2 can also throw the "star did not move enough" error, and I may have a solution, but the weather where I am has been poor for a long time and I've only done limited testing on it - wondering if Wes had a chance to try it.  I expect that if it helps an EXOS-2, it'd probably help an iExos-100 as well.

Wes,

I'd passed you that PHD2 change: Brain/Advanced->Guiding->"Advanced" button->Detailed Calibration Parameters-> Calibration distance, px" (was 25, updated it to 50)

Did you have a chance to try that?  Worked for me when I tried it, but the weather hasn't let me out for much testing since...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Edwin

Bob,
makes me feel better that guiding can be accomplished using the little guy iexos-100.

i will  check the logs from last night to see if I find anything there that catches my eye and share.

thank you!

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Wes Mcdonald

Bob after you put that one out I went and checked what mine was set for.  It is already 50 px so that was that.  I note there is a claibrstion step count setting which I just noticed.  Mine is at 12.  Edwin maybe you need to increase this.  These settings are under Guiding/advanced.

I have issues in Dec with warning due to Dec backlash.  This is a fact of life with these mounts.  I suggest Edwin go through a backlash adjusent in his iexos.  I can't say why his pulse guiding works but his automatic cal doesn't....perhaps manual pulse guide allowed larger steps.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Wes,

Ok, so we're trying stuff.  The rationale on the parameter change I mentioned came from a single post on a phd2 forum.  The usual response to the "did not move enough" complaint is that it's the mount hardware's fault and the software's fine.  This particular post went farther, and outlined that for the OP's (insert other mfr's name) mount, there was enough mechanical backlash that the mount simply had to move father in order to calibrate well.  IIRC, increasing Calibration Distance solved it for the OP, and it did work the one time I was able to test it.

FWIW...

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Edwin

I got this picture from the log File of pdh2,
does this tell you guys anything that Might be not set correctly?

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Wes Mcdonald

Edwin

A few things you can do:

I see your calibration distance is set to 25 pix.  That is the setting Bob is talking about.  Move that that up to 50.  It is set in calibration/advanced in PHD.

I also see you were trying to cal at 30 deg Dec.  I believe you want to be closer to 0 Dec.  But in truth I don't think that is the major problem.  Also I usually try to calibrate closer to the meridian.  Suggest you try something like azimuth at 150 degrees.

Make sure your guide camera is oriented along the horizon when your mount is in polar home. Ensure it is tight in the finder scope.  I think that has messed me up in the past

During the day time set up your mount and point it at a tree top or tower or something far enough away that you can focus the scope.  Put your camera in live view.  Set your guide rate in the ascom driver to 1. Now with the mount running, use PhD manual guiding buttons to see if you can manually guide in RA.  Since your rate is set to1, you can stop.the mount from.moving in RA by guiding continuously manually toward the east (I think).  You will see the image in the live view change as you guide vs not guide.  When you see movement in the correct direction you can stop guiding.  In RA the moment you stop guiding the mount will resume moving in RA in the opposite direction. Unless there is a great deal of backlash.  If there is you can count how many seconds it takes to resume.movement.  that number of seconds x 15 is your approximate backlash in arc seconds.

Read about the star cross test in the PHD manual.  Perform that test at night.  The shape of the cross will tell you about backlash.  If things are working, the cross image will be good.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Edwin

Wes,
thank you much!!
i will follow your suggestion today and tonight as I think I will catch a clear night for a change.

i will report back with results to see you feedback, I knew if I added this guiding to my setup, it was going to take time, as Kent (cool guy from ES) always tells me, this is a journey!

have a nice Sunday!

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Edwin

Wes,
you said to pit tue guide rate to 1 in the ascom driver, I did it here and set it to 1000, hope thats it

Maximum Pulse time - 1000 ???

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Edwin

Wes,
forgot this one, I change to 50 for calibration distance

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Wes Mcdonald

Edwin

Set the rate fraction to 1

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 4:24 PM <esanc001@...> wrote:
Wes,
you said to pit tue guide rate to 1 in the ascom driver, I did it here and set it to 1000, hope thats it

Maximum Pulse time - 1000 ???

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100
ed-80 triplet
canon T6i

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Edwin

Wes,
I was able to:
Set the rate fraction to in in the RA sidereal rate fraction on the ascom driver for the mount.
Set calibration distance to .50 on the phd2 option  (.50 like period 50 not 50, I hope that is it)

I was able to do the day time test using the phd2 manual guide, I could not figure this one out "Set your guide rate in the ascom driver to 1" but I up the minimum pulse time to max, it read 500 on the ascom driver.

This are my result and observation, first I center the guide scope and ota to a street STOP somewhat far away.  When I was doing the pulse rate, I set it to 5000ms in phd2, I notice the STOP sign moving in my live view but at first it looked like when I did West, and East it move to the same side. I am not sure what you mean here " In RA the moment you stop guiding the mount will resume moving in RA in the opposite direction" I am not sure I saw this behavior?
Since the movement of the STOP sign was not like I expected, specially with going north, south.  after equal pulses of 5 seconds, the STOP sign just moved from my live view but I never came back to see the STOP sign as when I first set it.  I use the RA, DEC on the poth scope and this is the results.

I did 5 pulses for a total 25 seconds for each direction N,S,W,E
move North RA 15:20:57   -> 15:20:57
                   DEC: 89:58:59 -> 89:56:29
Move South  RA 15:20:57  -> 15:20:57
                     DEC 89:56:29 -> 89:59:10
Move West  RA 15:20:57 -> 15:20:46
                    DEC 89:59:10 -> 89:59:10
Move East  RA 15:20:47 -> 15:20:57
                   DEC 89:59:10 -> 89:59:10

I was not able to do the calibration close to meridian or do the cross test as the sky did not collaborate.

Please let me know so far, what you see on the result of the live view test, to me it moved accordingly but the picture never came back to how I started.
I was not expecting that, the STOP sign ended up above to the right on the live view.

Thank you!!

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100