Topics

Counterweight improvising

Cody Hudson

So, the two counterweights including with the exos100 are a bit much for my Nikon D500 with a 35mm prime lens. They work fine when I have my Sigma 600mm attached. With a little creativity, I took the mount off the rings on my 4 inch ES scope and taped a C batter to it and then to the shaft. Just wanted to share the redneck ingenuity here. LOL

darrell burke

I've used those cast iron little cheap dumbbell weights and yes, tape!

This was for my own redneck. hockey stick, big bino homemade mount.

In my case form does not follow function - function follows function.  :0)

Kim

I have another recommendation for those times when you need a little more weight, but don't want to add another standard weight a situation I found myself in with the iEXOS 100. I needed a little more than 3 kg, but I didn't want to push the mount too far, so I added a few stick-on wheel weights to a standard weight. They come in a number of different weights and adhere well to regular mount weights.

Harry

Hello, I also have needed an additional weight for my iExos 100. Attached are 2 photos. The weights were from Walmart, and are 1 1/4 , and 5lbs. I added some pvc piping to
reduce the central hole to accommodate the 100 bar. So they don’t move, I place whichever one I’m using on the bottom of the stack, and secure it with another standard
weight on top, which has a securing bolt.

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Patrick Maher

I also need extra counterweights for my iEXOS-100 so I've been checking the ES website monthly since I purchased the mount (Dec, 2019) but have yet to see the black counterweights in stock.  It is possible I might have missed them being in stock for a week or two one time or another but they have yet to be in stock when I'm looking to part with my money.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do.  I want to keep the weights tight against the counterweight shaft just like the original counterweights so I don't want larger ones but I might need to opt for an alternative or compromise.  I could paint my CG-2 counterweights black and use them, I suppose.  I rarely use that mount.

I like my counterweights to be completely secured to the counterweight shaft...  each weight secured from all movement.  I don't like them being able to spin or even move a hair so adapting exercise weights are out of the question for me.  I do, however, use some chrome exercise counterweights for a homemade pipe mount I made but that is a manual mount and not used for astrophotography.

I could also use an extra counterweight for my EXOS2-GT too but, at the moment, I don't want to throw any more money into that mount since it isn't the PMC-8 version so I might be significantly upgrading that mount in the next year or two to a Losmandy G11 or similar.

Patrick
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

esanc001@...

Do you guys use the iexos-100 with guiding phd2 software?
I added a exos2 weight on mine sine I cannot find the weights for a while now and I am not sure if this could be causing me guiding problems? I have not been able to guide at all with this mount

thanks
--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

Jed Fish

The 2 1kg weights supplied with the mount were not even close for my ED102.  I bought an Orion 11lb weight on Amazon for about $40. As the bore is bigger than the OD of the counterweight bar, I cut a piece of thick vinyl tubing, length equal to the depth of the weight, to fill the gap.  I’ve cut the tubing lengthwise and trimmed into a “cuff” shape to allow the end of the retaining screw to push directly against the bar, pressing the tubing against the far side of the bore.  I can easily put the cuff where it needs to be, slide the weight on, and crank it down.  It provides better grip than the hard plastic sleeve that comes with the weight, and comes very close to centering the weight on the bar.  You can select the right thickness of tubing to get the centering just right, I used what I had at hand.

Hope my description made sense...

Jed Fish
ES ED102
iExos100

Cody Hudson

I mistyped. This isnt the EXOS100 mount. It's the EXOS2-GT mount. We've used those lift weights before on Temma 2 mounts with a Tak 130. Just put it in between the OEM counterweights to hold it in place. I think ES provides a 5 pound weight. Not quite sure. With my DSLR and a smaller lens, it doesn't take much on the EXOS2. The counterweight shaft alone is close to being enough. Not quite though.

Harry

Hi Edwin, I believe I have the same equipment as you do, but I have not used any guiding software, as I have a “no laptop” rule. I have been somewhat successful in astrophotography, but my exposures are limited to 30-45 seconds, and I am using ExploreStars on an iPad or Fire HD8. I know this is less than ideal, and not how the mount/software was intended, but I accept this limitation. I am waiting for a ASIair or other substitute, that is compatible with PMC 8. As my previous post and photos, I have been successful using a combination of ES and other weight combinations. The iExos 100 is a great little “engine that could”.
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8, Explore FirstLight EXOS Nano
Nikon D600, D5500

esanc001@...

Hi Harry!
So yes, I am happy with my iexos-100 and explorestars, it works nice but like you, I would get 25-45 secs before starting to star trail.  Now that it is the time to take photos of galaxies, so I heard, I am not an expert, I just started doing this so I consulted with a friend and he told me that the only way to take better photos was to guide. I took the plunge and little by little I've been getting closer since now, I cannot use explorestars and its a different ballgame.

I am desperately trying to find a iexos100 owner to see if they can guide with this mount as I have not been able to as of yet. It is a big learning curve for me but now I am just hoping that I can guide with this little guy.

Thanks for your reply, clear skies!

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100

filpod7

Harry, Einstein would approve 👍. Was just about to part with £20 for an original. Nice work.

---
Fil Pod. (Amateur/student)
United Kindom, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
TS Optics 65q - Astro Essentials 32mm f/4 guide
EOS 200D(Rebel SL2) - ZWO 120mm mini
iExos 100-PMC Eight
Sky-Watcher 3/8" stainless steel tripod
Sharpcap(polar align) - ExploreStars - APT - DSS - Photoshop

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Hello, I also have needed an additional weight for my iExos 100. Attached are 2 photos. The weights were from Walmart, and are 1 1/4 , and 5lbs. I added some pvc piping to
reduce the central hole to accommodate the 100 bar. So they don’t move, I place whichever one I’m using on the bottom of the stack, and secure it with another standard
weight on top, which has a securing bolt.

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8, Explore FirstLight EXOS Nano
Nikon D600, D5500

Lloyd Simons

Edwin,

I've been guiding with mine since last fall. I am still in the process of refinement but I have been able to capture 300s subs with fairly round stars. What seems to be the issue? Are you having trouble getting the equipment and software to work or are your guiding errors really high?
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

Kim

Since people are including pictures of their solutions, I thought I should add a picture of mine. Those are the stick on wheel weights that I mentioned in my earlier post. They are 1oz. each, but come in smaller sizes.

esanc001@...

Hi Lloyd,
yes, I been having issues with equipment and software to work. I just started trying to guide with 0 knowledge but now, I have the mount using the ascom serial and can connect using the poth hub.
when doing calibration I keep getting the errors
star did not move enough and also not able to make sufficient corrections in RA

i keep getting this error and when I guide any way it is not good at all, the red and blue lines go crazy.

basically I tought maybe I have too much weight because am using a 10 lb weight but I am also using the heavy duty tripod.

I was looking at someone to be guiding, and you are, so that gives me hope. If I could get even 120, I would be happy.

thanks for your reply and if there is something you can think of, please look at my post that deals with guiding so that Jerry does not get upset about being off topic on this thread.

 #iexos-100 - issues with PDH2 guiding

if you can look for it I would appreciate!!

--
Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100