Topics

#iexos-100 Azimuth Adjuster Adapter experiences & ST2/ST3 mount question #iEXOS-100

Sean

I have a general question, and a question for those that have bought the Azimuth Adjuster Adapter for the iexos-100. First a general one, I plane to continue using my ED80 for quite some time, and when I get to the point where I would look at significantly longer focal lengths (and weight) I would also look to add a 2nd mount (G-11 is appealing). With that in mind, is there any benefit to choosing the ST3 mount over the ST2 considering I am doing fine with the stock one that came with the iexos-100?

Second question, for those that have purchased the upgrade Azimuth adjuster, how significant of an improvement is this? Polar aligning for me is a frustration primarily adjusting to follow Sharpcap's directions. It is too easy to go too far or not far enough, When turning the screw do you find the adjuster moving smoothly? How significant of an improvement have you observed with using this adjuster vs before?
--
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED80

Lloyd Simons

Sean,

I can't speak to the tripod specifically since I only have the stock one. I have the Azimuth adjuster and it was a game changer. My experience was similar to yours for PA and I was quite frustrated by it. Adding the Azimuth adjuster made PA a breeze. I usually have excellent (sub 20 sec) PA in less than 5 min using Sharpcap. I struggled before to get "good" PA (less than 1 min). I would advise any new user that wants good PA to buy it if funds allow.
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

Harry

Hi Sean, I also have the iExos 100, and the Azimuth adjuster, and my scope is the ED80 CF. So its slightly lighter. I do find the adjuster helpful. Before it, I had to loosen the adjustment knob to rotate the mount, and as I did the mount would move around, and it was not as accurate as I would like. It did take some time to fiddle with it, and adjust it to move the mount accurately. But, with a little practice, it’s definitely better.

Concerning the iExos 100 standard mount, its ok. When I add my Nikon D5500, and even with the heavier D600, it does ok, but I think its about at its limit. I have also tried it with my larger AR102, and I would not recommend that. I am planning on getting the ST3, and although slightly heavier than the ST2, and more expensive, the extra stability would be well worth it. I feel with the ST3, I would have room for expansion, especially when you add a guide scope, etc.

Hope this helps,  Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

medin003 University of Minnesota

Sean,

I don't have the Azimuth adjuster, when I get close I nudge two of the tripod feet and it works fine.  Obviously, the tripod needs to be on a hard, smooth surface.

Tom

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 6:42 AM Sean <ssa2207@...> wrote:
[...]

esanc001@...

Sean,
I do have the azimuth adjuster and the st3 tripod.  I did this out of necessity as I decided to get the ed-80 and start guiding and I could not get balanced.
I did have the tripod from my old exos2 so it was the best decision for me.
If I would have known what I know now, I should have gotten the exos2-pmc8 but to your question,
if you are going to put more weight (guiding), if you are going to use sharpcap for PA, and if you get st3 you MUST get the azimuth adjuster.

For me, all is working now after lots of learning/frustration.

GL
Edwin

[...]

Edwin Sanchez
Iexos-100
ed-80 triplet
canon T6i

paul fillinger

Here is a chart that I got from Kent showing you the increased capacities with the adjuster/ST2/ST3

[...]

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day all,

Azimuth Adjuster:

Yes, it is worth it, if you have your own reasons for not upgrading to the EXOS-2GT/ PMC8.  It will allow you

to make small adjustments when using SharpCap Pro.

This is a chart posted by Sir Jerry:

My Warped thinking:

The ST3 will allow a rated load weight of 42 pounds.  There is video with Scott and Alex loading up a EXOS-2GT/ PMC8 exceeding a load of 80-pounds.  ES has not

recommended this, but I thought it was pretty cool.   Going by my poor logic, if you can balance the load in RA, you should be able to exceed the 42 pound rated load.

I recently ordered a EXOS2CWB counterweight and it weighs in at approximately 11.25 pounds.

I measured some of the dimensions using a caliper (measurements may vary):

These are pressure fit bushings or should I say hammer fit bushings J.

Top of the counterweight inner diameter:   20.7mm

You will need to make a bushing for the top:

Bottom of the counterweight inner diameter:  25.06mm

Not required if you allow the weight to go pass the

Counterweight bar and rest atop the counterweight

bar knob.

You will also need a bushing for the bottom if mounted

above the counterweight bar knob:

Comparison photo:

Planetary Imaging iEXOS-100/ ST3 Tripod (SW-180mm/ Vivitar 1.4X/ 11.25Ib CW)

Item

Equipment

Wt (Ibs)

Imaging Equipment (Barlow Lens)

Wt (Ibs)

Maximum  Equipment Load on iEXOS-100

iEXOS-100 Mount Max. Rated Load (Ibs)

Counter Weights (1)/ max.  load

Counter Weights (2)/ max. equipment load

Counter Weights (3)/ max. equipment load

Counter Weights (4)/ max. equipment load

1

Canon 70D/ Hithut PU-200 Bar/ Meoptex Vixen Shoe

2.20

SW-180mm/ 2" cmr adptr/2" LiPo/fndr scp/ Viv1.4X

18.63

20.83

42.00

TRUE

TRUE

TRUE

TRUE

39.8

37.6

35.4

24.15

Item

Equipment

Wt (Ibs)

Imaging Equipment (Barlow Lens)

Wt (Ibs)

Maximum  Equipment Load on iEXOS-100

iEXOS-100 Mount Max. Rated Load (Ibs)

Counter Weights (1)/ max.  load

Counter Weights (2)/ max. equipment load

Counter Weights (3)/ max. equipment load

Counter Weights (4)/ max. equipment load

1

Canon 70D/ Hithut PU-200 Bar/ Meoptex Vixen Shoe

2 J.20

SW-180mm/2" cmr adptr/2" LiPo/ Viv1.4X/ Fndrscp/ GSO

20.28

22.48

42.00

TRUE

TRUE

TRUE

TRUE

39.8

37.6

35.4

24.15

In closing, I am pretty happy and hopefully tonight, I will be able to setup this monster for planetary imaging.  I will also attempt to target some DSOs at 2700 or 3780mm unguided; very short exposures J.

This monster was actually setup on a ST1 tripod indoor for testing, but I would never use a ST1 mount outside with this monster.  The vibrations along with wind, would make the system unstable.

Have fun.

JR

Sean

Thanks everyone for such quick responses, I just ordered one directly from ES's website. I won't be buying a new telescope for quite some time, so the existing mount + the adjuster should server me well as I am around 9lb. Now crossing fingers it arrives by 19th which is the perfect weekend to try this out.

Thanks everyone
--

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 09:16 AM, paul fillinger wrote:
Here is a chart that I got from Kent showing you the increased capacities with the adjuster/ST2/ST3
I created this chart a while back... These are only estimates based on what I considered possible by interpolating between the EXOS 2 and the iEXOS 100 with the various tripods. Your tolerance for flexure may influence how much weight you actually want to place on the system. The motor system of the iEXOS 100 is the same as on the EXOS 2, and the inertial load is managed the same. As always a very good balance needs to be achieved when loading up the mount at these larger capacities.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Kim

Why is this increased load capacity not reflected in the specifications for the iEXOS 100 HD?