Explore Stars Android App in mobiles phones: Samsung S10 #Android

Lucas Romero

Hi!

I have installed the Explore Stars Android App in my mobile phone: Samsung Galaxy S10 and the app is not displayed in a proper scale. I read the app is designed for tablets but I was wondering if there is a way to make it scale properly in smaller screens. An screenshot is attached.

What is the minimum screen size it supports? Or maybe is the issue related to this particular mobile phone screen?

Is the source code for this Android App also available to download? I just ask this to try to fix the scaling issue I have.

Thank you!!
Lucas

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 08:58 AM, <romero.lucas@...> wrote:
I read the app is designed for tablets but I was wondering if there is a way to make it scale properly in smaller screens. An screenshot is attached.
Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your questions. There is currently no cellphone device version of ExploreStars. The minimum screen size for tablets is 7-inches. Through our OpenGOTO Community, we currently provide all the information needed to create custom applications on any platform including cellphones. Any new developments and releases related to ExploreStars will be announced here on the forum.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Lucas Romero

Hi Jerry, thanks for you answer! I will try to buy a tablet then. Also, I will check the dev subgroup to see how the current app could be adapted in smaller screens in Android.

Thanks!

--
Lucas Romero - Buenos Aires, Argentina

Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Telescope: Explore Scientific ED80-FCD100 Series Air-Spaced Triplet Refractor
Camera: Canon 6D
Steering Software: ExploreStars App

Estel

Edited

I've tried to install this app on a 10 inch Samsung tablet and it has the same layout as the picture above, about 1/4th of the right side is cut off.

Aaron Thompson

Sizing displays across multiple devices is a real challenge for developers.  HTML designs have enough trouble across different browsers and screen sizes. On mobile the layout of the product needs to be handled differently then anything that designed for desktop.   This is alot of work and might have to be done multiple times in different development environments and code sets to make it compatible in different ecosystems.

Yorksman

I find it awkward with a tablet but am making slow progress. Every time I go out, I make a step forward. I have along the way tried using Cartes du Ciel using a laptop and serial cable link, again it's a learning curve. More stuff to learn. But, I was out tonight with a tablet and still making progress. I'm at the point now where I am  about to see if I can get tracking to work. No doubt the first photos will show trails and it will be back to improving on all the previous steps required. I am sure my progress is hindered by lack of knowledge and lack of practice. But, I agree, trying to use a tablet to move the scope to the right point isn't easy. I think I might try using a serial cable and a games controller. It sits better in the hand and you can look at the scope whilst you use it.10" tablets are like handling a bar of soap.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

My i ask what type of tablet your using for this program so i can help get to the bottom of this issue.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Can i also ask where are you located and are you using a there are some tablets that simply dont work like huawei or whatever its called just let me know and ill help you out on my days offf.

Mike Hammer

Tyler,

My Huawei tablet (an 8.4" Mediapad M5) works with Explore Stars. All that needs to be done is to change a display setting.  Go to Settings - Display - View Mode - set to SMALL by tapping the "-" symbol (Default is the standard setting). I suspect that this will work with the 10" Huawei too.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 6:00 PM Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tbowman@...> wrote:
Can i also ask where are you located and are you using a there are some tablets that simply dont work like huawei or whatever its called just let me know and ill help you out on my days offf.

Estel

I had to reduce my Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet's "screen zoom". All my other apps fit the screen just fine the way it was set, so I've never had the need to change that setting until now.

To fix this issue: go to "settings" > "display" > "font and screen zoom" > "screen zoom" and reduce the "screen zoom" setting.

Now ... if I could figure out how to get the catalog to load and work.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

  1. Unzip the download and place the folder on the root of the MicroSD card.
  2. Install the MicroSD card into your Android device.
  3. Under Settings/APPS/ExploreStars grant Permissions for External Storage and Location. .