Topics

Side loading Explorestars on an Android phone

Mike Hammer

Hello Jerry,

My apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this question. I only just started using my new EXOS2-PMC-8 mount this week.

I was speaking with Kent Marks the other day about trying to use my Android phone to run Explorestars. I understand that the buttons may not work (The phone has a 6" screen and a 2K resolution) but I would like to give it a try anyway. The phone should easily meet all other requirements as it has an 8 core CPU running at 2.1 GHz. The easiest would be to install from an APK file as I cannot obtain it from the Google play store. Is there any possibility of obtaining such a file? If not, then is there an alternative you can offer? Please let me know as soon as possible as the Android tablet that I was planning on using is having an odd issue (screen overscan) that is preventing me from accessing all of the buttons on the main screen to the right of the 1, 4, 7, goto buttons rendering the program inoperable.

Regards,
Mike Hammer

Hi Mike,

No, your message is fine.

Early on we offered the APK for sideloading but it has not been updated since last year. I did find this link that has the APK but is on a third party website that we do not officially endorse.

Here is the link to it, but again, you use this at your own risk, we do not guarantee that the files have not been manipulated.
I only post this for information only, Explore Scientific is not responsible for any issues using this page.
https://apkplz.net/app/com.explorescientific.explorestars

Here is the webpage for the old version of ExploreStars. You will find the APK if you scroll down a ways into the page. It is in step 5 of the installation section.
http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/Android.html

Let us know if you can get it to work.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mike Hammer

Hello Jerry,

Thanks for the links. I tried both versions of the APK. The program runs, but it is doing the same thing that my 8.4" Huawei M5 Tablet does - cutting off the right side of the screen. Only the screen to the left of the numbers 2, 5, and 8 on the keypad are visible, so there is no access to the menus. The Arrow keys to the left of the Site data do work, however. The phone is running Android 9, the tablet 8. This is very disappointing. I hope that something can be done to fix this, especially on my tablet.

Regards,
Mike Hammer

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Look in the settings to see if you can adjust the magnification or scaling of the screen. I have seen this on some Android devices. It's up to the tablet manufacturer to make this work. The ExploreStars application works out of the box on a large number of tablets.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mike Hammer

Okay, there is something called “View Mode” on the Huawei tablet that fixed the problem. Still working on the phone. I did find that if I swiped from the right edge of the screen toward the left it opened the menu, but I have not yet been able to rescale the main screen so I can access all of the controls there. The buttons that are visible do work, however. This means that at least some Android phones may be capable of running the Explorestars app if the screen scaling is not an issue.

Please let Kent Marks know that your suggestion resolved the problem as he was tying to get someone in the software group to look at it.

I will report back later if I get the phone to scale the screen properly. BTW, it is an LG Stylo 4.

Regards,

Mike Hammer

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!