Topics

How Do I Recover From a RN-131 FACTORY RESET? #G11 #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL

zeccax@...

Hi everyone,
I'm a proud new owner of an exos-2 pmc-eight.

I probably made a big mistake:
I wanted to update the firmware so I connected putty to the mount with WiFi. I switched to serial connection, but I think my serial cable isn't good (I inverted dtr) because putty, parallax or config manager wasn't able to connect. I was still able to connect putty on WiFi but I wasn't able to switch back to WiFi connection.

Here's the mistake.. I made a factory reset thinking I was able to set the explore scientific default values on WiFi cause it was still connected. At the first set command putty wasn't responding and now I'm stuck.

Will I be able to connect with a good serial cable and set the default ES values or I bricked it in just 3 days?

I bought a new cable on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.it/DSD-TECH-SH-RS232A-Adattatore-seriale/dp/B07MYYCMJT
Is that good?

Sorry for my English, I'm Italian.
Any help would be great.

Filippo

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 03:03 PM, <zeccax@...> wrote:
Here's the mistake.. I made a factory reset thinking I was able to set the explore scientific default values on WiFi cause it was still connected. At the first set command putty wasn't responding and now I'm stuck.
Hi Filippo,

Your system is not bricked.  Tell me exactly where did you get the information you used to do all these changes, then I can understand where you issued the factory reset as you called it. I have a good idea what you did, but I want you to describe to me specifically so that I am sure we are on the same page. If what I suspect is true, I can direct you to how to correct the issue.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

zeccax@...

Edited

Hi Jerry,
I used the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight® Application Note PMC8-AN002 pdf. In putty i used the $$$ to access commands and used the factory RESET command.

Dan Kahraman

Hi Filippo:

They both have a cd disk that you have to install the software for the chip. They both work well. From looking at your link it should work. If not you can always return it.

Dan Kahraman

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 03:18 PM, <zeccax@...> wrote:
I used the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight® Application Note PMC8-AN002 pdf. In putty i used the $$$ to access commands and used the factory RESET command.
Hi Filippo,

Yes, I suspected as much.

You performed the section entitled:
"If you want to change the PMC-Eight WiFi RN-131 configuration then perform the following procedure:"

Unfortunately, you did not heed the warning in this section:
NOTE: Please refer to the Microchip WiFly Command Reference Manual located here: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50002230B.pdf
CAUTION: You change these parameters at your own risk,

The section you wanted was entitled:
"If you want to change the interface from the default WiFi Port (interface 1) to the Serial Port (interface 0), do the following:"

What you did was perform a "Microchip" Factory Reset which returned the RN-131 module to the Microchip Factory default configuration. This configuration is set before we at Explore Scientific set OUR SPECIFIC PMC-Eight configuration settings.

Here is what you need to do to recover and get back to the "Explore Scientific" Factory Default:
(This is an excerpt from the Application Note AN002 which is included on pages xx in the PMC-Eight Programmer's Reference located here:
http://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/PMC_Eight_ProgrammersReferenceManual_Release2_2019_March_07.pdf

Please refer to the Microchip WiFly Command Reference Manual located here:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/50002230B.pdf  for details about the following instructions
You must use the values in the Microchip manual for the "Microchip" default configuration values to attach to the RN-131 network SSID and telnet into the proper IP address with the proper port number. See the section in the Microchip RN-131 manual entitled: FACTORY RESET.

1. Connect your computer to the wireless network SSID of the Microchip SSID, whichever yours is. It may include the word "roving" or "wifly"
2. After connecting to the Microchip SSID, open up a Command Window and issue the command "ipconfig /all"
3. Look for the "Wireless Gateway value" under the "Wireless LAN Adapter WiFi" section. Record this value
4. Using Putty, TELNET into the IP address recorded in step 3 using port 2000
3. You should be greeted with the *HELLO* prompt of the RN-131 module.
4. Enter "$$$", and you should see "CMD".
5. Hit Enter again and the version number prompt, i.e., "<4.41>", is displayed.
6. Enter "get everything" to obtain a list of all the current parameters and what they are set to:

At this point please post these parameters here on this thread so that I can see them.

YOU SHOULD NOW BE ABLE TO ISSUE THE FOLLOWING COMMANDS TO RESTORE YOUR WIRELESS TO THE "Explore Scientific" Default Values.

RN-131 WiFi Module Explore Scientific Default Configuration Setup Commands
NOTE: It is suggested that you cut and paste each block of commands into the terminal and then manually type and enter the “save” command. Ensure you receive the “AOK” response after each command is entered.

START OF SETUP COMMANDS --------------------------------------------------

set uart b 115200
set comm size 64
set dns addr 0.0.0.0
set dns backup 0.0.0.0
save

set dns name dns1
set ftp addr 0.0.0.0
set ftp time 200 save
set ip dhcp 4
set ip flag 0x47
set ip gate 192.168.47.1
set ip addr 192.168.47.1
set ip net 255.255.0.0
save

set ip host 0.0.0.0
set ip protocol 0x03
set ip remote 54372
set ip local 54372
save

set sys autosleep 0
set sys sleep 0
set sys wake 5
set sys trigger 0x01
save

set wlan auth 4
set wlan hide 1
set wlan join 7
set wlan chan 8
save

NOTE: In the following 2 set commands, set the SSID to your specific module SSID, replacing the XX with your number.
             We use the last 2 characters of the MAC address

set wlan ssid PMC-Eight-XX
set apmode ssid PMC-Eight-XX

set opt deviceid PMC-Eight save
set wlan passphrase PMC-Eight
set apmode passphrase PMC-Eight
save

set wlan ext_antenna 1
save

Reboot

END OF SETUP COMMANDS -------------------------------------------------

Hopefully if you can follow all that, then you should be successful restoring your PMC-Eight.
Alternatively, you can return your PMC-Eight controller to us to restore the system.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 04:26 PM, Dan Kahraman wrote:
They both have a cd disk that you have to install the software for the chip.
I suggest you get the latest driver from the FTDI Website.
You want the VCP (virtual com port) driver. Here is the link to the Microsoft Windows FTDI VCP Driver:
https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM21228_Setup.zip

Here is the link to the driver download page:
 https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

zeccax@...

Edited

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 06:37 PM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
RN-131 network SSID
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your time.

Unfortunately I can't see the internal RN-131 SSID in the network list when i scan for wifi connection.

I probably didn't explain well in my previous posts, sorry:

I performed the command to switch to serial successfully using the same pdf in this part:

If you want to change the interface from the default WiFi Port (interface 1) to the Serial Port (interface 0), do the following: NOTE: This assumes that you start with the delivered configuration of the PMC-Eight with the WiFi interface enabled
1. Set your SSID to the PMC-Eight-xx, whatever yours is
2. Using Putty, TELNET into address 192.168.47.1 port 54372.
3. You should be greeted with the *HELLO* prompt of the RN-131 module
4. Enter "###" you should see "Diagnostic Mode Disabled#!
5. Enter "ESX!" and you should see "ESX0!" which says that the interface was switched to the serial port (interface 0)

Everything went good and i rebooted.

After that, I discovered that any software i tried (indi drivers/pmc8 configurator/parallax/putty) couldn't connect with the serial cable (It's an FTDI USB-RS232 cable and i used FT_Prog to invert the #DTR as instructed in a post i have read to make it work with the pmc-eight. Probably it's a bad cable).
Since i couldn't connect INDI drivers to use the mount anymore with the wifi, and the serial cable wasn't working I tried to revert it in WiFi doing the same procedure since i could still see the SSID of the PMC-Eight and i could connect with putty.
The *HELLO* appeared but the "###" command wasn't responding so i couldn't revert to WiFi in the same way using the ESX! command.

After that I got the stupid idea to do a factory reset thinking that at least it was going to re-enable the wifi interface and that I would have been able to perform the commands (the procedure that you wrote) to set all the ES default values back in the same putty session before losing the connection.

Factory reset worked, setting the values didn't.
I lost the connection at the first command i entered: "set uart b 115200"

I rebooted the device and now I can't see the internal RN-131 SSID in the wireless connections list. I can't connect to it and perform your procedure to set the values.

Is there any hope that a working serial cable can do the trick so i can set all the default values without connecting to the RN-131 internal SSID?

Filippo

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 11:28 PM, <zeccax@...> wrote:
I rebooted the device and now I can't see the internal RN-131 SSID in the wireless connections list. I can't connect to it and perform your procedure to set the values.
Hi Filippo,

I have a procedure to manually reset the RN-131 module back to the factory defaults again, using the hardware GPIO9 pin (as discussed in the Microchip RN-131 manual) but I am reticent to post it here because there is a fair chance that someone can cause a hardware failure if they are not careful or do not have experience doing this work on electronic circuitry. I want to verify that when you power up your PMC-Eight that 1) There is no SSID that pops up on your network list, and 2) that the system can still communicate via the serial port. I have notes that the SSID that pops up may have the word "save" in the name of the SSID, I am not sure if this is the case for your system. I know you are waiting on a cable to verify number 2 so we can wait for that. In the meantime, if you are comfortable opening up your PMC-Eight, you can still have your controller for use via serial and we can recover your wireless module if you can do the following:

1) Open up the PMC-Eight enclosure by removing the cover
2) Disconnect the antenna cable from the WiFi module daughter board
3) Remove all the DB9 screws (standoffs) from the 3 DB9 connectors (6 in all) this is how the board is mounted in the enclosure
4) Carefully remove the board paying close attention to the antenna cable and connector so that you don't damage them.
5) Pull the WiFi module daughter board from the main PMC-Eight board
6) Carefully place the main board back in the enclosure
7) Line up the connectors and screw holes in the enclosure and put the screws back in the DB9 connectors and tighten
8) Replace the enclosure cover.

If you decide to do this, you should first talk to Kent in customer support - service@... +1 (866) 252-3811 to get an RMA# or
you can log into our service request webpage at:

https://explorescientific.supportsync.com/

and submit a service request. If you submit a service request via our website, put a link to this message thread in the request to document our conversation.

Let me know what you decide to do.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 11:28 PM, <zeccax@...> wrote:
Since i couldn't connect INDI drivers to use the mount anymore with the wifi, and the serial cable wasn't working I tried to revert it in WiFi doing the same procedure since i could still see the SSID of the PMC-Eight and i could connect with putty.
The *HELLO* appeared but the "###" command wasn't responding so i couldn't revert to WiFi in the same way using the ESX! command.
HI Filippo,

I wanted to say here based on your comment above is that the ESX! command must be issued on the CURRENT communications channel to toggle back to the alternate channel. In this case, you had successfully switched from "wireless": to "serial" using the ESX! command on the "wireless" channel. To get back you would have simply connected to the "serial" channel with the terminal program on the com port and issued the ESX! command again to switch back to the "wireless" channel.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

zeccax@...

Edited

Hi Jerry,

Yes I know, that's why I said my serial wasn't working and then I just tried with WiFi before doing a factory reset hoping it would had give me WiFi connectivity back.

Now, knowing that I made a factory reset after switching to serial, is that the reason I can't see the internal rn131 ssid?
Do a good serial cable going to work to connect to it and set the Es values back?

Edit: sorry groups just went into maintainence and I missed your previous post

zeccax@...

Hi Jerry,

Thanks again for your time. Today the new cable arrived. I'm at work at the moment but I will try to connect to it when I'll be home before doing anything else.
I will try your procedure if the serial connection can't do the trick.
I have read about the reset hardware in the chipset manual using the gpio9 pin and I will use this as last if nothing works.

I'll keep you updated.

Kind regards,

Filippo

zeccax@...

Hi Jerry,
Sorry for the late reply.

There is no SSID, just to be sure i checked in Linux, Windows and Android.

I did some tests with the serial cable:

PMC8ConfigurationManager Connected to it just the first time i connected the new cable to my Windows pc but I wasn't able to replicate this, I don't know why. Now it can't find the mount. I tried to clean my com ports thinking it could be this but it didn't work.

INDI Works fine! So at least I can use the mount.

Parallax and other terminal softwares like Termite or Tera Term connect to the pmc-eight unit. I was able to connect and receive answer from it with the 115200 8 1 and DSR/DTS flow control configuration (even though the factory reset should have changed this settings to different values?).
It require some time to receive an answer from the unit, the work around i found is to power it up while i'm already connected with the terminal to the serial cable.
I don't receive the *HELLO* line but I can still use some commands:

ESGv! works and i receive the version correctly.
%%% Debug mode works, I receive the correct answer and i receive a flow of values.
### Debug mode off works and it stop the flow of values of the debug mode.
$$$ Command mode doesn't work at all. I don't receive any answer from the unit. I tried anyway to use some commands just to see if it was just the CMD answer that was missing but no, command mode does not work.

So basically works everything apart from the Command Mode (No I will not try to use the ESX! command since it will switch to wireless mode while it doesn't work. I'm pretty sure i will not be able to use the mount anymore doing this).

Any ideas?

Filippo

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 12:23 PM, <zeccax@...> wrote:
$$$ Command mode doesn't work at all. I don't receive any answer from the unit. I tried anyway to use some commands just to see if it was just the CMD answer that was missing but no, command mode does not work.
Hi Filippo,

To be clear, the $$$ is the command mode for the RN-131 WiFi module not the PMC-Eight controller. So what I conclude from your excellent testing is that the WiFi module is still in the FACTORY DEFAULT configuration probably but has also failed in some way since the SSID is not showing up. Remind me where you purchased your PMC-Eight mount from again?  We can probably send you a replacement WiFi daughter board if you send yours back to us if you are comfortable removing it from the system. The PMC-Eight will still work fine with the serial adapter cable with the WiFi module removed. The alternative is to send your PMC-Eight box back to us to repair.

Please contact Kent at service@... to arrange an RMA or if you are in Europe we need to arrange with Explore Scientific Germany to get a repair done.
Kent will see this message as he monitors the forum.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

zeccax@...

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 10:18 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
To be clear, the $$$ is the command mode for the RN-131 WiFi module not the PMC-Eight controller.
That makes sense now, thanks for clarifying.

I bought the mount on amazon sold directly by them.

I'm comfortable with opening the unit and remove the daughter board, but i'm comfortable to try and make an hardware reset procedure too. I have read the procedure on the chipset sheet and that i need an alligator jumper to connect the GPIO9 but I want to be sure to what other pin i need to connect it. I think I need to use a 3V3 pin..but i don't want to make mistakes as I don't know wich other pin is a good one for the procedure. I won't do this until i'm pretty sure on what i'm doing. If I need something else other than an alligator jumper i won't do that either since my knowledge in electronics is limited.

I know you don't want to share the procedure and i can understand why. I don't want to make mistakes so if i said something wrong just tell me, but if what i need is just an alligator jumper and i just need to know what's the other pin that i need to use for the procedure i can make a try.

Thanks

Filippo

Wes Mcdonald

Filippo

1.  The configuration manager has this off thing that sometimes ( mostly) if the pic is not connected to the WiFi it cannot find the serial connection.  So that explains the C M not working.

2.  If the rn131 is reset you will need to configure it again per the settings needed for the pmc8. Not sure where these are.  But you set them using the putty connection.  I think the settings might be in the programmers reference manual.

We’d

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

zeccax@...

Hi Wes,
1) thanks for that, I hope it will fix when my pmc8 wifi unit get fixed.
2) that's what me and Jerry were talking about. settings can bet set in command mode, but as Jerry stated you can't go in command mode with the serial cable cause it's a rn131 thing and I don't have access to it.

I'm waiting for an answer about hardware reset so maybe the rn131 can start again and I can set it.

Filippo