We are currently working on the server version of the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver that will not require the use of the
POTH hub. NOTE that the POTH hub has been discontinued in this release and replaced with the new Device Hub.

I will probably talk about this on today's OpenGOTO Community Live!  Broadcast at 4 pm CDT (5 pm EDT, 2100 UTC)

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jerry,

What ASCOM platform versions do you anticipate supporting, for the future PMC8 Server/Driver?

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, at 11:39, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
The new ASCOM Platform 6.5 has been released (a few days ago) and is available on the platform website.

Please review this document prior to updating your platform.

I have previously tested the BETA version of the 6.5 platform and did not discover any issues. That's not to say you won't have issues as there have been reports.

It is important to run the Platform Diagnostics to verify that the installation is good prior to using the updated platform.
I would suggest that you re-install the PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver after installing the new ASCOM platform version.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:16 PM, Robert Hoskin wrote:
What ASCOM platform versions do you anticipate supporting, for the future PMC8 Server/Driver?
Hi Bob,

The current release version of the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver is fully compatible with platform version 6.5.  Future platform upgrades should never "break" previous versions of drivers that are out there. The platforms are backward compatible with previous platforms with the same major version number, 6 in this case. There was a break in compatibility (I believe) when the platform went from 5 to 6.

When we release new versions of the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver/server they will be tested against the latest version of the ASCOM platform.

It is important to note that the platform is not updated all that often, I think it has been at least 1 or 2 years since 6.4 was released.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

John Crisp

I just updated one of my control computers (the one I use as my primary to control my EXOS-II - PCM8 mount this weekend with ASCOM 6.5 - without installing new drivers) - I did not initially realize the elimination of the POTH hub in this version but after a few minutes of reading, I found the settings and connected the mount to Cartes du Ciel and did some slewing around inside the living room and did some unguided tracking (again inside) with my scope on the mount.

I also updated my Sequence Generator Pro to recognize the changes - should have clear skies tomorrow but so far it went without a hitch - famous last words... the good news is that I did not buy any new equipment so I should get some clear skies in the next few days to give it a real world test. I'll document my journey and let you know how it goes.

Prior to the update from 6.4 I had my comet hunter/Nikon D810 mounted for imaging along with my guide camera and was getting total RMS around 1 with the RA sitting around .87" and Dec around .5" - I run through a boosted USB and ASCOM guiding for the guide camera.

John - Cloudy Sky Observatory

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 03:18 PM, John Crisp wrote:
I did not initially realize the elimination of the POTH hub
Hi John,

I don't know if you noticed it during the install of the new platform. You can check the box to install POTH if you want it. That and 3 other programs are not automatically installed with version 6.5 but they are still available to install. This would probably only apply if you manually remove the previous platform version and install 6.5 fresh.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data