PMC-8 & ASCOM / 1 program at a time #iEXOS-100 #EXOS2

nickerson.joseph@...

Hey Everyone,
I am brand new to this forum. I am usually pretty resourceful when it comes to figuring out problems on my own. But after digging through forums, FAQ and YouTube, I have finally broke down and I am asking for help.

I recently bought the EXOS2 w/ PMC-8 to use with my ES ED102 for astrophotography. Long story short, I can only connect one program at a time to the ASCOM/PMC-8. I.e. I cannot connect PHD2 and Cartes du ciel at the same time. Once I am connected to say Cartes du ciel and then try to connect to PHD2, i get the same error of "ASCOM driver problem during connection (ASCOM.Utilties) Access to the port 'COM7' is denied". This happens with any combination of programs, only one can be connected. I have to disconnect from Cartes du ciel and then I can connect just fine to PHD2. I have all the latest ASCOM drivers installed and again, any single program works fine. Is this normal for this mount? Ultimately, I am trying to run Sequence Generator and everything connect through that, but again, I can only connect 1 program at a time to the mount.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe,

The magic word you are looking for is 'POTH'.

It's an ASCOM component, and it is a server process (basically, a messaging hub).  You connect POTH to the mount (PMC8), and then you connect your various control applications to POTH, which routes messages between applications connected to it, as required.

Lots of threads here on POTH, driver setup, etc.  But that's the missing piece - all of that control messaging runs through POTH, and POTH (via the PMC8 driver) is the only program that connects directly to the mount.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Chris Tardif

Only one driver can connect to the mount at a time...that driver has to be the ASCOM driver for the mount.  Then you run POTHHUB which then connects using ASCOM to the driver.  Other software like SGP or others then connect to the mount on POTHHUB

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

nickerson.joseph@...

WOW, yup!!! That worked. Nothing like that fresh newb feeling. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

murfkcco@...

I would like to thank all of you for this information I was at my wits end as I am brand new to guiding and could not figure out why PHD2 kept disconnecting my telescope. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Andreas

Is this true? I have the same problem that i am not able to connect to multiple programs via Ascom. But i hoped that the solution is a cable with a FTDI Chip. I need a connection to NINA for PlateSolving and to PHD2 for Guiding.

Regards
Andreas

Sebastian

Edited

Use Ascom „Hub“ for more than 1 device. You have to configure the pmc8 telescope in the hub then you can choose the hub in Nina telescopes and Phd2.

Leigh Caldwell

Robert's answer earlier in the thread is the one to read. Instead of connecting all your programs direct to the mount, you just connect the Hub to the mount. Then all your other programs connect to the Hub.

The Hub in ASCOM has been renamed from POTH (Plain-Old-Telescope-Hub) to "ASCOM Device Hub", so if you find forum posts or blog articles from before 2020, they will probably refer to POTH. Just replace with 'Device Hub' and you will be fine.

Once you have run the ASCOM Device Hub and connected it to the mount, you can then start your other programs. in PHD2 and NINA, when you select which mount you want to connect to, you choose 'Device Hub Telescope' (or something similar - it might be slightly different for each program but hopefully it will be clear which one it is).

The Device Hub can have as many programs connected as you want, and it will pass on the messages to the mount - so that the mount doesn't get confused getting multiple signals from different programs.

Andreas

I had many mounts but this workaround never was necessary. Very annoying, but it works now.
Thanks for your explaniation.
Regards
Andreas

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 03:22 PM, Andreas wrote:
but this workaround never was necessary. Very annoying
Hi Andreas, this is not a workaround, the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver is just a driver like many other drivers. It is not a server. In order to connect multiple ASCOM clients to a driver, you have to use some kind of ASCOM hub or server. POTH has been proven reliable over the past several years.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data