Topics

PMC-8 & ASCOM / 1 program at a time #iEXOS-100 #EXOS2

nickerson.joseph@...

Hey Everyone,
I am brand new to this forum. I am usually pretty resourceful when it comes to figuring out problems on my own. But after digging through forums, FAQ and YouTube, I have finally broke down and I am asking for help.

I recently bought the EXOS2 w/ PMC-8 to use with my ES ED102 for astrophotography. Long story short, I can only connect one program at a time to the ASCOM/PMC-8. I.e. I cannot connect PHD2 and Cartes du ciel at the same time. Once I am connected to say Cartes du ciel and then try to connect to PHD2, i get the same error of "ASCOM driver problem during connection (ASCOM.Utilties) Access to the port 'COM7' is denied". This happens with any combination of programs, only one can be connected. I have to disconnect from Cartes du ciel and then I can connect just fine to PHD2. I have all the latest ASCOM drivers installed and again, any single program works fine. Is this normal for this mount? Ultimately, I am trying to run Sequence Generator and everything connect through that, but again, I can only connect 1 program at a time to the mount.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe,

The magic word you are looking for is 'POTH'.

It's an ASCOM component, and it is a server process (basically, a messaging hub).  You connect POTH to the mount (PMC8), and then you connect your various control applications to POTH, which routes messages between applications connected to it, as required.

Lots of threads here on POTH, driver setup, etc.  But that's the missing piece - all of that control messaging runs through POTH, and POTH (via the PMC8 driver) is the only program that connects directly to the mount.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Chris Tardif

Only one driver can connect to the mount at a time...that driver has to be the ASCOM driver for the mount.  Then you run POTHHUB which then connects using ASCOM to the driver.  Other software like SGP or others then connect to the mount on POTHHUB

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

nickerson.joseph@...

WOW, yup!!! That worked. Nothing like that fresh newb feeling. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Brian Murphy

I would like to thank all of you for this information I was at my wits end as I am brand new to guiding and could not figure out why PHD2 kept disconnecting my telescope. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU