Topics

#EXOS2 #PMC-Eight stops tracking after 18 seconds #EXOS2 #pmc-eight

harvey.richard2007@...

My EXOS2 #PMC-Eight stops tracking completely after 18 seconds when connected to my ASIAir Pro. Any exposure longer than 10-15 seconds will result in star trails, *even* if the Tracking button is on in the ASIAir Android app.  Did someone experience the same with this mount?

Dave Connolly

I would have thought you did not need Asiair with a pmc 8 ?

On Fri 24 Jul 2020 at 09:14, <harvey.richard2007@...> wrote:
My EXOS2 #PMC-Eight stops tracking completely after 18 seconds when connected to my ASIAir Pro. Any exposure longer than 10-15 seconds will result in star trails, *even* if the Tracking button is on in the ASIAir Android app.  Did someone experience the same with this mount?

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day Dave,

The ASIAIR or PRO eliminates the need to carry an external computer with you; everything is controlled from the box.

JR 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dave Connolly
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2020 3:39 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] #EXOS2 #PMC-Eight stops tracking after 18 seconds

I would have thought you did not need Asiair with a pmc 8 ?

On Fri 24 Jul 2020 at 09:14, <harvey.richard2007@...> wrote:

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 04:14 AM, <harvey.richard2007@...> wrote:
Hi Harvey,

It sounds like the Communication Watchdog timer is stopping the mount's tracking. This is designed to kick in when a program or in your case, the ASIAIR stops sending commands to the mount. Typically ASCOM or in this case INDI clients would continuously query the mount to get real-time position data at a minimum. It sounds like this is not the case with the ASIAIR program(s).

The fix is to download the latest EXOS 2 PMC-Eight "a" version firmware (9t_17a_EXOS2) and install it on your PMC-Eight system.

I think this will correct your problem.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Omar Rahman

I had the same problem and almost sold the Asiair before I saw a post by Jerry and tried the alternate firmware. That fixed the problem and it hasn’t happened since with either the original Asiair or the Pro. 

Omar
--

Scope:        
ES ED102
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-PMC-8, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras:   ASI1600MM Pro, Nikon D7500
Lens:
          Nikon 200-500mm, Tamron 70-200mm G2, Nikon 120mm manual lens
Misc:          ZWO ASI120Mini Guide Camera, ZWO 30mm mini guidescope, Stellarmate, Asiair
Software:  Kstars, SkySafari, ExploreStars (android), Pixinsight, DeepSkyStacker, Regim, Astrostakkert, LR/PS, RNC-color-stretch
Computer:  Macbook Pro, Surface Pro 4, iPhone, Fire 7

harvey.richard2007@...

Thank you Jerry :-))) I can't seem to find that 9t_17a_EXOS2 firmware file on the PMC-8 downloads page...?

Richard

Le ven. 24 juill. 2020 15:59, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> a écrit :
Hi Harvey,

It sounds like the Communication Watchdog timer is stopping the mount's tracking. This is designed to kick in when a program or in your case, the ASIAIR stops sending commands to the mount. Typically ASCOM or in this case INDI clients would continuously query the mount to get real-time position data at a minimum. It sounds like this is not the case with the ASIAIR program(s).

The fix is to download the latest EXOS 2 PMC-Eight "a" version firmware (9t_17a_EXOS2) and install it on your PMC-Eight system.

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Richard Harvey <harvey.richard2007@...>

Ok, never mind, just (obviously) found it in the PMC-8 downloads page...

Duh. 

Richard

Le ven. 24 juill. 2020 22:50, Richard Harvey <harvey.richard2007@...> a écrit :
Thank you Jerry :-))) I can't seem to find that 9t_17a_EXOS2 firmware file on the PMC-8 downloads page...?

Richard

Le ven. 24 juill. 2020 15:59, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> a écrit :
Hi Harvey,

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

Wes Mcdonald

Richard:

Use the Configuration manager to upgrade the firmware.  It knows where all the latest firmware is, brings it in, lets you select the version you want, and loads it all through an easy UI.  

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Thanks Wes much appreciated. I'll try that tonight :-)

Richard

Le sam. 25 juill. 2020, à 08 h 12, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> a écrit :
Richard:

Use the Configuration manager to upgrade the firmware.  It knows where all the latest firmware is, brings it in, lets you select the version you want, and loads it all through an easy UI.  

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL

It worked ! The mount now does not stop tracking anymore :-)))

A thousand thank you's to you all.

Richard

Le lun. 27 juill. 2020, à 23 h 48, Richard Harvey via groups.io <harvey.richard2007=gmail.com@groups.io> a écrit :
Thanks Wes much appreciated. I'll try that tonight :-)

Richard

Le sam. 25 juill. 2020, à 08 h 12, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> a écrit :
Richard:

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC