Topics

locked ISO and Exposure Time #astrophotography #Off-Topic

Michael Anderson

Need advise on recommended ISO setting and exposure time for deep sky using a Canon M50 DSLR w/ astronomik light pollution filter in a class 8 city sky.
--
Michael Anderson: Earthling
Handle: MrThump30

Scope:
ES Comet Hunter Mak-Newt 152mm F4.8
Mount: Celestron AVX w/ All Star Polar Align & Polar Scope
Camera/Eyepiece: Canon M50 DLSR, Orion StarShoot Pro Mono / Hyperion MK4 8-24 Zoom
Finder Scope/Autoguider: ES 8x50 RA Finder Scope / Orion 50mm Guide Scope
Hardware/Software: Computer: HP 15" Laptop, Windows 10 / Programs: ASCOM 6.4, PHD V2
Cooler: Rubbermaid 48Qt
Beer: Cold
Coffee: Black
Music: Jethro Tull

Dan Kahraman

Michael:

Try both ISO 400 & 800. The chart for the 50D isn't clear. Your exposures will be longer with the filters than without...but don't change the ISO

Dan Kahraman

I did take 9 pictures 400 ISO @5 minutes each on M101, but it did not seem to pick up much detail in the galaxy when stacked. Maybe it is me just processing wrong. I will try 800 ISO when the skies clear next, thanks.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM Dan Kahraman <dkahra213@...> wrote:
[...]

Tons of discussions on camera ISO's, etc. over on CloudyNights, and some astrobin posters also list their ISO.  Probably best to figure out the ISO that best suits your camera, and then sort out the exposure with trial-and-error.

CN is where I learned the best astro-ISO for my D5300, and that for my specific camera, there was no point in taking darks.  Lots of back-and-forth to sort through.  Search is your friend...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide