Topics

Slewing behavior: POTH Hub vs Device Hub #iEXOS-100 #ASCOM

Bob Trepiccione

I have ascom 6.5 installed.

When selecting  the PMC-8 driver directly in Astrophotography Tool the slew controls work as expected.

If I choose Device Hub Telescope, AST can connect, park, unpark, but the slew controls trigger an exception error in AST.

Here's the  interesting part...if I select POTH Hub in AST, all controls work.

This holds true for using ASCOM Pad, as well.
Works with POTH Hub, slew controls do not operate when Device Hub is selected...

Any insight from our ASCOM afficienados?

I think this post is relevant to this forum. If not, ease delete...

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your report... This post is very relevant.  So if I can summarize, it appears that the Device Hub does not work the same as the POTH and is in fact, not operational as the POTH as it triggers an exception in AST. Have you tried it with any other ASCOM client program?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bob Trepiccione

Hi Jerry,

It seems that AST is the only one that seems to have this issue that I have found.

Sharpcap, backyard Eos, and Stellarium seem to function normally with both.

There does appear to be somewhat of a lag between button "push" and mount movement with POTH vs Device Hub.  Device hub seems more responsive.

I am connected via WiFi, but I've tried it with a serial connection and the lag is there regardless of connection method.

So maybe it's just an issue with AST itself,  but ASCOMPAD doesn't function with the device hub either. That may just come with the territory, though.

I came to this conclusion while trying to use an Xbox controller for slewing...got it to work with POTH, no go with device hub.

I've attached a pic of the actual message that AST returns...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jennifer Shelly

Bob:

I am familiar with APT, but I have not upgraded to the new ASCOM Platform.  I am still using the old way as you described.  The only thing you did not mention was Stellarium Scope which allows Stellarium to sync with APT.  Are you using Stellarium Scope?  Have you enabled Telescope Control and Remote Control in Stellarium?  What port number do you use in APT for Stellarium?   The default is usually 8090, but APT does not seem to like it.  I suggest changing it to 8093.  I apologize for having more questions than answers, but hopefully we will get you up and running.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

sshailendrasharma@...

The same happens with NINA. If device hub connected to nothing, it works fine, and is stable. if connected to NINA, it keeps disconnecting. I know Kent is looking into this as he has experienced the same thing. I rolled back.

Lloyd Simons

I had similar problems in NINA when it was 6.5RC. I went back to 6.4 and will wait to upgrade.
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI

I would suggest that if you are having problems with specific applications on the new ASCOM 6.5 platform, that you report it to the Application developer and also to the ASCOM-Standards developers. There is an ASCOM Platform Groups.io forum where you can report these issues and discuss them at:

https://ascomtalk.groups.io/g/Help

I am not going to pursue this myself as we are currently actively working on our PMC-Eight ASCOM Server that we will be releasing soon.
This will do away with the need to use POTH or the Device Hub. In the meantime,

I suggest that anyone wanting to use the new ASCOM platform 6.5 that you select POTH when you download the platform in the list of components to download. This is not automatically selected since it has been deprecated in this new platform version, but it is still available to select and install.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bob Trepiccione

Thanks for taking a look, Jerry.

Uninstalling 6.5 and installing 6.4 did the trick.

Using POTH under 6.5 didn't work for me, but others results may be different.

Looking forward to the completion of your solution. If you need a beta tester I'd be happy to help...

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Bob Trepiccione

Rolling back to 6.4 did the trick!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

From: "Jennifer Shelly via groups.io" <drunkendogg@...>
Date: 7/30/20 9:32 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io

[...]

Thanks Lloyd, rolling back to 6.4 did the trick!

Regards,

Bob

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

I had similar problems in NINA when it was 6.5RC. I went back to 6.4 and will wait to upgrade.
--
Lloyd Simons
Mattawan, MI
Telescopes: Astrotech AT72ED II, Orion 8" Dobsonian, Tectron 15" Dobsonian, Celestron Super Polaris C8
Imaging Camera: Canon T3i
Guide Camera: QHY5L-IIM on a 60mm F4 Guidescope
Mounts: iExos-100 PMC-8, Vixen Super Polaris
Mount Control: KODLIX gn41 mini PC, Explorestars on a Lenovo Tab 2 A10-70F Android 6.0
Software: N.I.N.A. for imaging, PHD2 for guiding, Sharpcap for PA, Cartes du Ciel, PixInsight

Steve Lang

Hey Jerry.

1) I downloaded and installed devicehub (on Ascom Platofrm 6.4 sp1/latest/whatever) and noticed similar behavior with NINA. It worked for a while, then failed to slew and was generally not responsive. Had to restart ascom and use POTH instead, but I'm not convinced that devicehub is compatible with 6.4sp1 anyway. Will try to log a fault with dev's, but...

2) More importantly, I'm keen to test the new ascom driver with built in server (no POTH required.) Would prefer to do that with 6.4sp1 (my current setup) if that's useful to you, and I can test/run ascom conformance tool as well.

Cheers -

Cheers -

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

This email has been filtered by SMX. For more information visit smxemail.com

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Orion Atlas
Scopes: ES FCD100-80, GSO RC8, Orion XT10i

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 06:17 AM, Steve Lang wrote:
More importantly, I'm keen to test the new ascom driver with built in server (no POTH required.) Would prefer to do that with 6.4sp1 (my current setup) if that's useful to you, and I can test/run ascom conformance tool as well.
Hi Steve,

Yes, I would appreciate any testing you would like to do once we have completed our internal Alpha testing. We have yet to create a standard installation package for the new server/driver, but once we have done that, it will be easier to distribute and get feedback on it. I am hoping we can do this within the next couple of weeks (crossing my fingers!)

jrh at explorescientific.com

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

This email has been filtered by SMX. For more information visit smxemail.com

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Orion Atlas
Scopes: ES FCD100-80, GSO RC8, Orion XT10i
Cameras: QHY 8L, QHY163m, QHY5L-II, Polemaster
Misc: QHY FW, OAG
Software: NINA, PixInsight

Timothy Myers

What is the status of the PMC-Eight ASCOM Server?  is it in beta yet?
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:           Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE, SkyWatcher 100ED Pro
Mounts:                 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:              ASI1600MC Imaging Camera, Cooled, ASI120 Guide Camera
Focuser:               ZWO EAF
Scope Mini PC:    Topton Pentium
Laptop:                Lenovo
Software:             CDC, SharpCap Pro, NINA, PHD2

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 04:05 PM, Timothy Myers wrote:
What is the status of the PMC-Eight ASCOM Server?  is it in beta yet?
Soon, Chris and I are working on it.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data