Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

nfred1952@...

Hi all

Recently purchased above mount, can anyone confirm if the reticule in the polar alignment scope should be illuminated, I can turn the small knob and I can hear a switch made but no illumination, what am I missing, retailer I bought from not sure, is there a battery somewhere?
Plus I am having great trouble polar aligning. I am at 53 degrees latitude here in NW UK its virtually impossible without lying on the floor to get an eyeball to the polar scope viewing lense, are there any simple solutions i.e a 90 degree prism device I can attach, I am aware of Polemaster and Sharpcap but don't want to shell out another 2-3 hundred pounds, any thoughts/help??
Nick Frederiksen

Mike Hammer

The polar illuminator unscrews (counterclockwise) in the middle. Inside are the batteries in a small tube. There is probably an insulator preventing the batteries from making contact. Carefully remove it (don’t lose the batteries or the insulator, they are tiny) and reassemble. It should work then.

To improve access to the polar illuminator eyepiece, you need to raise the tripod by extending the legs. When done doing this, make sure that the tripod is level using the bubble located on the top of the tripod. Adjust as needed.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Hi Jerry.

Please see link.

Basically. As the dec mechanic housing is on the right hand side. I am having to use the guide scope in the finder scope position. But then it pulls left a bit more. I have played with the cbsking and its better but still wants to pull the opposite way.

Thanks
Shailendra

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

brian skinner

Hi Nick, I'm on the UK south coast and am using the PS without any problems. The illumination issue is already covered by the other guys so I'll just advise you on the eyeballing problem;
The PS position obviously can be adjusted by loosening and tightening its bracket fixing to the mount. The reticle is turned by turning the PS in its bracket, not by turning the mount. Finally you will need to remove your viewing equipment, OTA, Camera from the mount before Polar aligning, otherwise eyeballing is a problem for sure. Once polar aligned you remount your equipment, turn the mount on and so on and your good to go....
I'm at 50degrees latitude here and place my mount on a table for convenient viewing height but the mount is only at half height for increased stability, that may help you,
kind regards, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

brian skinner

Sorry Nick, just realised you're not using the iEXOS 100. My verbage covered the use of the iEXOS100 PS only, I guess yours is different,
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>

Thx Brian
Yes illuminated polar align scope solved, batteries dead boughtonly new a month ago so....
Getting a few tips on possible solutions, if they don't work, will take the plunge and get a guiding camera. Did not realise at start I would need such deep pockets.

Nick
Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight
Homemade 200mm dob(probably need to change this in future)
Canon 6d
Dell and acer laptops

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 4:14 PM brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:
Sorry Nick, just realised you're not using the iEXOS 100. My verbage covered the use of the iEXOS100 PS only, I guess yours is different,
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

Doug Doonan

Hi all,
The Mount Illuminated Polar Alignment scope in the EXOS2 has a reticule showing Polaris, NCP, and four other little circles that are supposed to be star positions. Does anybody know the names or catalogue numbers of the four stars that are supposed to be put into the little circles?
Doug Doonan

--

Doug Doonan
HomeBru  6 inch Reflector  f 6.6

Doug Doonan

Hi James,
 What is a half of a .965 bolt case. Also where do you find one?
Thanks
Doug doonan

[...]

Hi Doug, my modus operandi doesn't worry about putting stars in the reticle circles. I eyeball either Ursa Major OR CASS. (either will do). I then rotate the reticle of the PS carefully until the orientation of the real constellation and the reticule constellation are the same. I then physically move the mount and lat adjuster until Polaris appears in the reticule. Additional careful mount adjustment is done until Polaris is positioned in the little gap along the line marked Polaris. I then power up my mount and away I go.
Please note I am using the iEXOS100 PS, yours maybe different.

Hope that helps, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

James Hubbard

Hi Doug,
To answer your question. It's the larger half of a .965 eyepiece bolt case.  I'm sure you could use something similar to that or maybe a 35mm film case. It was just something that I had on hand.

--
William Optics Zenithstar 80edll
Skywatcher quattro 8
Meade 8" sct
Meade DS-10, outreach when I eat my wheaties
Explore Scientific first light 80- outreach
Explore Scientific Exos2 PMC8
Explore Scientific iexos100 PMC8
Canon 60d
Nikon d90
Zwo asi120mm
Zwo asi178mc
Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet
Amazon Fire10 HD tablet
Multiple windows laptops

Doug Doonan

Hi Brian,
 This sounds really neat and it is like what I want to do. Some questions:
Ursa Major is the big dipper, and it is big in the sky. What part of the BD do you use to align with what part of the reticule? The reticule has a bucket shaped arrangement of little circles opposite where Polaris is, at least in my scope. Is that what you align with the bucket in the  BD?
Casseopea (sp) is on the other side of of Polaris from the BD. I don't see how you can use  one OR the other to get a  Polar alignment. If you use the BD the NCP will be to the left of Polaris. If you use CASS the NCP will be on the right side. Only one can be correct, I think.
Great method if I could understand the details.
Comments?
Doug Doonan

[...]

I don't think the iEXOS100 has the same polar scope reticule as the EXOS2. The "bucket shaped arrangement of little circles" I think is for aligning with the south celestial pole.

I use the android app PolarAlignerPro and select the reticule for Meade LXD55 which seems to match my EXOS2 reticule.

Also, see this thread on CloudyNights:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/614983-polarscope-alignment-calibration-help-needed/
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER