Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

nfred1952@...

Hi all

Recently purchased above mount, can anyone confirm if the reticule in the polar alignment scope should be illuminated, I can turn the small knob and I can hear a switch made but no illumination, what am I missing, retailer I bought from not sure, is there a battery somewhere?
Plus I am having great trouble polar aligning. I am at 53 degrees latitude here in NW UK its virtually impossible without lying on the floor to get an eyeball to the polar scope viewing lense, are there any simple solutions i.e a 90 degree prism device I can attach, I am aware of Polemaster and Sharpcap but don't want to shell out another 2-3 hundred pounds, any thoughts/help??
Nick Frederiksen

Mike Hammer

The polar illuminator unscrews (counterclockwise) in the middle. Inside are the batteries in a small tube. There is probably an insulator preventing the batteries from making contact. Carefully remove it (don’t lose the batteries or the insulator, they are tiny) and reassemble. It should work then.

To improve access to the polar illuminator eyepiece, you need to raise the tripod by extending the legs. When done doing this, make sure that the tripod is level using the bubble located on the top of the tripod. Adjust as needed.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 5:47 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Hi all

Recently purchased above mount, can anyone confirm if the reticule in the polar alignment scope should be illuminated, I can turn the small knob and I can hear a switch made but no illumination, what am I missing, retailer I bought from not sure, is there a battery somewhere?
Plus I am having great trouble polar aligning. I am at 53 degrees latitude here in NW UK its virtually impossible without lying on the floor to get an eyeball to the polar scope viewing lense, are there any simple solutions i.e a 90 degree prism device I can attach, I am aware of Polemaster and Sharpcap but don't want to shell out another 2-3 hundred pounds, any thoughts/help??
Nick Frederiksen

Nick,

Yes, there are two batteries - little button cells. Mine are LR41's.  Lost one checking this.  No idea where the little dickens flew off to.  :-)) 

Just keep unscrewing the post, it's all in there.  Watch for stuff dropping out (the LED and its mount are tiny!), and you may need a magnet to pull all the bits out.  

Ergonomics?  Well, yes - can't imagine why anyone who ever tried a polar scope (particularly in light-polluted skies) would ever want one again.  I'm at ~43 degrees, and my old LXD55 settled that for me!  I've never used the one on my EXOS2.

If you're budget-constrained, do some searches on what the iExos-100 crowd did.  Their mount comes with a 'tunnel', and while the mount was perfectly fine for AP, that was a weak spot.  Phone apps, drift alignment, compass-and-offset, marking tripod spots for a predetermined alignment...  They were pretty creative, but it was worth it for them.  

You didn't say whether you're primarily visual or AP.  For visual, rough PA is probably fine.  For AP, you'd want better, see above.  

I went for Sharpcap PA right off, as I knew I'd need to guide.  The license is inexpensive and it leverages the guiding gear you already need for AP. If you do decide to get a guidescope and camera, take a look at the Altairs.  They're UK based, and the cameras, at least, are cheaper here in Canada than the ZWO's - I assume the same for you as well.  YMMV.

Hope this helps!

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Mike Hammer

I forgot to mention that the illuminator switch is also a potentiometer. You need to keep turning it (clockwise) to bring up the brightness. Just turning till it clicks on will not give adequate illumination. And don't forget to turn it off when done. there is no auto-shutoff timer and your battery will be dead the next time you go to use it.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 5:47 PM <nfred1952@...> wrote:
Hi all

Nick Frederiksen

nfred1952@...

Thanks Mike and Robert.
That helps and solves the illumination question.
Maybe got the wrong scope a Dobsonian, raising the tripod legs to gain more space for polar aligning would I can see help, but probably compromise if I just want to do just visual viewing
I was hoping to use for AP eventually.
I will check out iExos-100 comments, but he ho enjoying the learning curve, whats the fun if it all works first time!
Nick Frederiksen

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:18 PM Mike Hammer <kmhammer1@...> wrote:

The polar illuminator unscrews (counterclockwise) in the middle. Inside are the batteries in a small tube. There is probably an insulator preventing the batteries from making contact. Carefully remove it (don’t lose the batteries or the insulator, they are tiny) and reassemble. It should work then.

To improve access to the polar illuminator eyepiece, you need to raise the tripod by extending the legs. When done doing this, make sure that the tripod is level using the bubble located on the top of the tripod. Adjust as needed.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, July 31, 2020 5:47 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Hi all

Nick Frederiksen

James Hubbard

This was my solution to this same issue. I found that this Nikon 90° viewfinder for a SLR camera works very well. I simply attached a half of a .965 bolt case over the threads from the viewfinder, then just slide it over my polar scope eyepiece. Definitely a improvement over kneeling on the ground.
--
William Optics Zenithstar 80edll
Skywatcher quattro 8
Meade 8" sct
Meade DS-10, outreach when I eat my wheaties
Explore Scientific first light 80- outreach
Explore Scientific Exos2 PMC8 
Explore Scientific iexos100 PMC8
Canon 60d 
Nikon d90
Zwo asi120mm
Zwo asi178mc
Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet
Amazon Fire10 HD tablet
Multiple windows laptops

Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>

Thumbs up from me, looks just the job.
Spurred me on to look for similar and adapt to fit as you have done.
Thx

Nick Frederiksen

Exos-2 mount
Home made 8 inch Dobsonian
Canon 6d
Dell laptop
Acer laptop

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, 23:32 Mike Hammer, <kmhammer1@...> wrote:
I forgot to mention that the illuminator switch is also a potentiometer. You need to keep turning it (clockwise) to bring up the brightness. Just turning till it clicks on will not give adequate illumination. And don't forget to turn it off when done. there is no auto-shutoff timer and your battery will be dead the next time you go to use it.

Hi all

Nick Frederiksen

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Hi guys. Will this affect my guiding and cause a problem?  Anyone found a good solution? 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 7:47:59 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io <MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Thx

Nick Frederiksen

Exos-2 mount
Canon 6d
Dell laptop
Acer laptop

Hi all

Nick Frederiksen

I'm not sure the video has attached to the email. So i have posted it on the fb page.

Cheers
S

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 11:10:09 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight GOTO Mount illuminated polar alignment + 90 degree polar alignment

Hi guys. Will this affect my guiding and cause a problem?  Anyone found a good solution? 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 7:47:59 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io <MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io>

Thx

Nick Frederiksen

Exos-2 mount
Canon 6d
Dell laptop
Acer laptop

Hi all

Nick Frederiksen

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 06:35 AM, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
I'm not sure the video has attached to the email. So i have posted it on the fb page.

Hi Shailendra,

If you could just describe the problem and provide a link to the video that would make it easier for us to take a look at it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Hi Jerry.

Please see link.

Basically. As the dec mechanic housing is on the right hand side. I am having to use the guide scope in the finder scope position. But then it pulls left a bit more. I have played with the cbsking and its better but still wants to pull the opposite way.

Thanks
Shailendra

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...>
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 2:21:56 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io>

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 06:35 AM, Shailendra Sharma wrote:

Hi Shailendra,

If you could just describe the problem and provide a link to the video that would make it easier for us to take a look at it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

brian skinner

Hi Nick, I'm on the UK south coast and am using the PS without any problems. The illumination issue is already covered by the other guys so I'll just advise you on the eyeballing problem;
The PS position obviously can be adjusted by loosening and tightening its bracket fixing to the mount. The reticle is turned by turning the PS in its bracket, not by turning the mount. Finally you will need to remove your viewing equipment, OTA, Camera from the mount before Polar aligning, otherwise eyeballing is a problem for sure. Once polar aligned you remount your equipment, turn the mount on and so on and your good to go....
I'm at 50degrees latitude here and place my mount on a table for convenient viewing height but the mount is only at half height for increased stability, that may help you,
kind regards, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

brian skinner

Sorry Nick, just realised you're not using the iEXOS 100. My verbage covered the use of the iEXOS100 PS only, I guess yours is different,
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>

Thx Brian
Yes illuminated polar align scope solved, batteries dead boughtonly new a month ago so....
Getting a few tips on possible solutions, if they don't work, will take the plunge and get a guiding camera. Did not realise at start I would need such deep pockets.

Nick
Explore Scientific EXOS-2 PMC-Eight 
Homemade 200mm dob(probably need to change this in future)
Canon 6d
Dell and acer laptops 

On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 4:14 PM brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:
Sorry Nick, just realised you're not using the iEXOS 100. My verbage covered the use of the iEXOS100 PS only, I guess yours is different,
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

Doug Doonan

Hi all,
The Mount Illuminated Polar Alignment scope in the EXOS2 has a reticule showing Polaris, NCP, and four other little circles that are supposed to be star positions. Does anybody know the names or catalogue numbers of the four stars that are supposed to be put into the little circles?
Doug Doonan

--

Doug Doonan
HomeBru  6 inch Reflector  f 6.6
HomeBru  85 mm Refractor  f 5.6
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

Doug Doonan

Hi James,
 What is a half of a .965 bolt case. Also where do you find one?
Thanks
Doug doonan

-----Original Message-----
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Aug 6, 2020 3:09 pm

This was my solution to this same issue. I found that this Nikon 90° viewfinder for a SLR camera works very well. I simply attached a half of a .965 bolt case over the threads from the viewfinder, then just slide it over my polar scope eyepiece. Definitely a improvement over kneeling on the ground.
--
Skywatcher quattro 8
Meade 8" sct
Canon 60d 
Nikon d90
Zwo asi120mm
Zwo asi178mc
Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet
Amazon Fire10 HD tablet
Multiple windows laptops

--

Doug Doonan
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

brian skinner

Hi Doug, my modus operandi doesn't worry about putting stars in the reticle circles. I eyeball either Ursa Major OR CASS. (either will do). I then rotate the reticle of the PS carefully until the orientation of the real constellation and the reticule constellation are the same. I then physically move the mount and lat adjuster until Polaris appears in the reticule. Additional careful mount adjustment is done until Polaris is positioned in the little gap along the line marked Polaris. I then power up my mount and away I go.
Please note I am using the iEXOS100 PS, yours maybe different.

Hope that helps, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

James Hubbard

Hi Doug, 
To answer your question. It's the larger half of a .965 eyepiece bolt case.  I'm sure you could use something similar to that or maybe a 35mm film case. It was just something that I had on hand.

--
Skywatcher quattro 8
Meade 8" sct
Canon 60d 
Nikon d90
Zwo asi120mm
Zwo asi178mc
Samsung Galaxy 7 tablet
Amazon Fire10 HD tablet
Multiple windows laptops

Doug Doonan

Hi Brian,
 This sounds really neat and it is like what I want to do. Some questions:
Ursa Major is the big dipper, and it is big in the sky. What part of the BD do you use to align with what part of the reticule? The reticule has a bucket shaped arrangement of little circles opposite where Polaris is, at least in my scope. Is that what you align with the bucket in the  BD?
Casseopea (sp) is on the other side of of Polaris from the BD. I don't see how you can use  one OR the other to get a  Polar alignment. If you use the BD the NCP will be to the left of Polaris. If you use CASS the NCP will be on the right side. Only one can be correct, I think.
Great method if I could understand the details.
Comments?
Doug Doonan

Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2020 9:21 am

Hi Doug, my modus operandi doesn't worry about putting stars in the reticle circles. I eyeball either Ursa Major OR CASS. (either will do). I then rotate the reticle of the PS carefully until the orientation of the real constellation and the reticule constellation are the same. I then physically move the mount and lat adjuster until Polaris appears in the reticule. Additional careful mount adjustment is done until Polaris is positioned in the little gap along the line marked Polaris. I then power up my mount and away I go.

Hope that helps, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

--

Doug Doonan
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

Rick Hughes

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 02:01 PM, Doug Doonan wrote:
Hi Brian,
 This sounds really neat and it is like what I want to do. Some questions:
Ursa Major is the big dipper, and it is big in the sky. What part of the BD do you use to align with what part of the reticule? The reticule has a bucket shaped arrangement of little circles opposite where Polaris is, at least in my scope. Is that what you align with the bucket in the  BD?
Casseopea (sp) is on the other side of of Polaris from the BD. I don't see how you can use  one OR the other to get a  Polar alignment. If you use the BD the NCP will be to the left of Polaris. If you use CASS the NCP will be on the right side. Only one can be correct, I think.
Great method if I could understand the details.
Comments?
Doug Doonan

Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2020 9:21 am

Hope that helps, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100
Canon 1300d dslr
Various lenses
ES Polar scope
Sequator image stacker
PIXR image editor

--

Doug Doonan
PMC-8, EXOS 2
Long retired EE.

I don't think the iEXOS100 has the same polar scope reticule as the EXOS2. The "bucket shaped arrangement of little circles" I think is for aligning with the south celestial pole.

I use the android app PolarAlignerPro and select the reticule for Meade LXD55 which seems to match my EXOS2 reticule.

Also, see this thread on CloudyNights:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/614983-polarscope-alignment-calibration-help-needed/
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER