Topics

Comet Neowise near M53 #astrophotography

Mike Leemhuis

During yesterdays podcast, Jerry mentioned that Comet Neowise would be near M53 last night and asked people to supply pictures.  I'll attach my attempt from our Bortle 5 skies.   It was very cloudy but we did have about an hour when the clouds mostly parted and I was able to take pictures.  I ended up with 21 - 60 second exposures.  I processed the pictures in Deep Sky Stacker, using the mode to track the comet, then I used the mode to track the background stars.  I'll include both.  I also used Affinity Photo and Lightroom. The comet is obviously much dimmer compared to a few weeks ago and the tail has all but disappeared.  I am wondering though why it now appears to be reddish compared to the bright green color when it had a tail.  Any ideas?

Mike Leemhuis

--
Location: Nicholasville, KY
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2

Timothy Myers

Edited

Hey Mike, I must have missed that broadcast, here is my contribution. 10 x 20s exposures at unity gain 139, integrated in APP
--
Tim Myers

Telescopes:           Celestron 4SE, Celestron 8SE, SkyWatcher 100ED Pro
Mounts:                 4-5 SE, 6-8SE, EXOS-2GT with PMC-Eight
Cameras:              ASI1600MC Imaging Camera, Cooled, ASI120 Guide Camera
Focuser:               ZWO EAF
Scope Mini OC:    Topton Pentium
Laptop:                Lenovo
Software:             CDC, SharpCap, NINA, PHD2

Mike Forbes

Timothy,

Thank you so much.  I love it, so crisp and detailed.

Clear skies my friend,
Mike