Issues with tracking on iExos 100 with Asi Air Pro #iEXOS-100

vijaysam@...

I have got asi air pro connected to iExos 100 over serial and am able to access the mount through the asi air app. I am able to control the mount as well being able to slew to an object etc.,

The problem I have is sidereal tracking does not seem to work even though the tracking is enabled on the app to track sidereal.

How could I get the mount to track through asi air pro?

I have tried to connect the same mount over serial to a computer and using POTH, I am able to see that tracking works without any issues.

What is it that I am missing in asi air pro where its not tracking proper?

Thanks,

-vijay

Wes Mcdonald

 Vijay

I believe this is a common condition with the asi air. The solution is to load the “a” version of the firmware into the pmc8. That version tracks continuously without being continuously pinged.  The other version stops when it thinks it is disconnected.  Asi air does not keep that version alive but the “a” version works well.

vijaysam@...

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 02:51 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
“a” version of the firmware into the pmc8
What is the "a" version and where can I get that?

On PMC eight configuration manager, firmware tab I see a bunch of eeprom listed some referring to the mount type. Is the "a" version one of them?

Thanks for responding.

-vijay

The iEXOS 100 mount firmware does not stop the tracking like the G11 or EXOS2 mounts. There is no "a" version firmware for the iEXOS 100. That is not the issue with your ASIAIR, it is something else.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Oops.  Missed that detail.  Nice catch Jerry

vijaysam@...

Jerry,

What could be the issue then?

I notice the green light coming on when I am on the telescope settings on asi air. I will try to wait and see if it does any tracking in this mode.
As  soon as I move out of the page, the light goes off. I have usually noted that when tracking is happening through other means (POTH or explore stars), the green light is on consistently as long as those applications are tracking.

Thanks,
-vijay

vijaysam@...

I came across this thread

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/iexos100_tracking_issues/34540664?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,40,34540664

which refers to issues with iExos and asi air.

I confirmed the firmware version on my mount was also ES1A10B2.
I flashed ES1A10B5 which was the latest from the eeprom downloaded through PMC eight config manager. I didn't see any difference atleast on the green light being consistently on just accessing air app. It behaved the same way, when the telescope settings page was accessed, where it became green and went off immediately as soon as one exited the page.

I will try to do some more testing and see how things look with the newer eeprom.

Thanks,
-vijay

Harry

Hi Vijay, I am assuming you are controlling the ASIair with a tablet.If so, iPad or Android? I know when I use my iPad with ExploreStars, I must be careful to not let the iPad ever sleep, or have any other app running in the background. ExploreStars must be the only active app. So probably the same when running the ASIair app. Android seems less fussy. So perhaps its a tablet interface issue.

Secondly, have you seen this document from ZWO (see attachment). Especially the beginning about
Explore Scientific PMC Eight Application Note PMC-8 AN003.

Hope this may be helpful.  Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars iPad, Fire HD8
Software: MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Affinity Photo, Lightroom,  SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500
Misc: ES USB Power Bank, Rigel QuikFinder, 0.8x Focal Reducer, Filters:
 Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

vijaysam@...

Edited

Hi Harry,

Thanks for responding.

I actually have tried to access the mount through both Android and IPad. I usually use android.
In both platforms, the behavior is same. There is no tracking.

With ref to your ZWO document reference, I had already got the serial port switch done and am successfully connecting to the serial port over a USB cable. I am able to control the mount like a goto mount where I am able to slew to targets without any issues.

But the biggest problem is where there is no sidereal tracking control from the app to mount though tracking is enabled on the app. This is only with ASI AIR. I have tried the mount over serial to a computer and tracking works as it should over POTH.

Thanks,
-vijay

vijaysam@...

I think I have got the problem resolved. I can see the mount tracking now.

I did the firmware update to the latest ES1A10B5.

Seems that fixed the problem.

I will test the mount out tonight and see how things go. So far, things look its working as it should though.

Thanks,
-vijay

Richard Harvey <harvey.richard2007@...>

Hello!

I've had the exact same problem a few weeks ago! You have to install the "a" version of your PMC-8 firmware. The problem is that the "regular" firmware stops tracking after about 18 secs (can't remember why), while the "a" version will not do that. I'll forward the mail I got from J. Hubbell to explain this better.

Richard

Richard

Le sam. 8 août 2020 15:48, <vijaysam@...> a écrit :

I have got asi air pro connected to iExos 100 over serial and am able to access the mount through the asi air app. I am able to control the mount as well being able to slew to an object etc.,

The problem I have is sidereal tracking does not seem to work even though the tracking is enabled on the app to track sidereal.

How could I get the mount to track through asi air pro?

I have tried to connect the same mount over serial to a computer and using POTH, I am able to see that tracking works without any issues.

What is it that I am missing in asi air pro where its not tracking proper?

Thanks,

-vijay

vijaysam@...

I got the problem sorted out and am imaging happily right now.

Thanks,
-vijay

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 08:39 PM, Richard Harvey wrote:
I'll forward the mail I got from J. Hubbell to explain this better.
The iEXOS 100 mount does not have an "a" version of the firmware because the firmware never had the communications watchdog enabled.
Only the G11 and EXOS 2 versions of the firmware (9TXX) had the watchdog timer.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 04:49 PM, <vijaysam@...> wrote:
I confirmed the firmware version on my mount was also ES1A10B2.
The message thread you refer to discusses a short term issue that was never applicable to any production iEXOS mount delivered as far as I know.
Unless you installed the firmware available from August 5 ,2019 to October 15, 2019, you would never have seen this problem in the production version ES1A10B2 delivered after October 15, 2019.

 It seems that in vijaysam's case, if he did not install version ES1A10B2 last year then it was somehow installed on the mount at our HQ for some reason during that period.

Nonetheless, reinstalling the firmware will fix the issue.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 04:49 PM, <vijaysam@...> wrote:
I didn't see any difference atleast on the green light being consistently on just accessing air app. It behaved the same way, when the telescope settings page was accessed, where it became green and went off immediately as soon as one exited the page.
Hi Vijay,

The green light only comes on when communications is occurring on the mount.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Vijay <vijaysam@...>

Edited

Jerry,

Thanks for responding.

I bought the mount on 13 Aug 2019. I don't remember updating any firmware, but I could have as I was trying out the PMC 8 config tool sometimes in the past. The mount was shelved for almost 10 months as I was not very impressed with the polar alignment process on this mount where you have to loosen the mount and turn by hand. Got the alt az adapter few weeks back and getting now to use the mount finally.

Updating the firmware seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks,
-vijay

Richard Harvey <harvey.richard2007@...>

Sorry for the confusion, I thought the two were the same firmware.

Richard

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data