locked 2 Star Alignment frustration #alignment

Mario

Thanks Chris, look forward to your feedback :)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 6:25 PM Chris Bourque <chrisjbourque@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 03:44 PM, Mario wrote:
Here's the guide I mentioned earlier to help with the overall process of getting started with the ASIAir Pro and the iExos 100.
Thanks to everyone that's helped me get my rig up and running over the last 6 days. I just wanted to put everything into a handy guide that might help others.

Feedback/point out errors/omissions totally welcomed.

I'm not sure if the attachment will come through or if I need to post this into the files section of the forum...guidance appreciated here.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Mario
Hey Mario

Meant to look at this sooner.
Wow, excellent job! I don't even own an ASIair, but feel well versed in how to setup and use on my iExos-100. No joke, this is better than many approved SOPs I need to review at work :P

Lots of time and attention to detail went into this. Much appreciated for sharing!

I will let you know how it goes when I have a chance to test your instructions! Hopefully soon.

Cheers
-Chris

--
Regards,

Mario
Streetsville, Ontario

Mounts: iExos 100, Skyguider Pro
Scopes/Lenses: Main/Orion 80mm, DSLR/Tamron 18-400mm lens, guide/ZWO-340A
Computer: ASIAir
Cameras: Canon T2i DSLR, ZWO120MM (guide)
Utility Software: iPolar (for Skyguider polar alignment), iCap, Explorestars, Canon EOS Utility
Image Processing Software: Photoshop

Chris Bourque

Edited

[...]

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 02:56 PM, Mario wrote:
I've loaded the document to the main forum files section here
Thanks Mario for you contribution, I was going to suggest that you put it in the Files section.  I was also able to open the file from your first message post about it.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mario

I think the attachment didn't go through. I've loaded the document to the main forum files section here

Regards,

Mario

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 2:44 PM Mario via groups.io <mario1546=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here's the guide I mentioned earlier to help with the overall process of getting started with the ASIAir Pro and the iExos 100.
Thanks to everyone that's helped me get my rig up and running over the last 6 days. I just wanted to put everything into a handy guide that might help others.

Feedback/point out errors/omissions totally welcomed.

I'm not sure if the attachment will come through or if I need to post this into the files section of the forum...guidance appreciated here.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Mario

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 10:08 AM Mario via groups.io <mario1546=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Chris,

I purchased both my ASIAir and iExos from Ontario Telescope as they had both in stock, prices were reasonable and the owner was very responsive on email and answering my questions (I'm new to astronomy/AP also:)...plus they have a small storefront 30 mins from where I live :)

Note, don't use Canada Post as a delivery option, they are very slow these days. It may cost a little more but I'm finding UPS is pretty good and the Ontario Telescope site sends you tracking updates direct to your email.

As a beginner, I find the amount of software/hardware options, configurations and combinations is really overwhelming. Everyone that's experienced has their own rig and their processes work on that hardware setup but seldom others. So, with iExos and the ASIAir we essentially have a common hardware *and* software base we can build from (the ASIAir takes a big step towards being hardware agnostic so my UI screen will look exactly like your UI screen. My process should be repeatable for you also)

I've added the ASIAir PA process to the guide...and below that is Wade's start-up procedure. I've also added the procedure for switching the iExos to a serial/USB cable necessary for the ASIAir and the firmware upgrade process for the iExos (the latest eeprom is required for Wade's process to work). I should have that ready later today. I'd appreciate feedback for any improvements.

Regards,

Mario

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 7:55 AM Chris Bourque <chrisjbourque@...> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 01:51 AM, Mario wrote:
Thanks for the updated steps....I've put them all into an 'ASIAir Pro with iExos 100' guide which I'll post into the ASIAir forum.

I would be very interested in your guide for this, Mario! You guys are getting me pretty pumped to try this ASIAIR Pro device. It sounds like a very elegant solution to (what seemed to me) like a very clunky procedure. That is, the idea of setting up an auto-guiding system seems quite daunting to me as a beginner to AP. Coupled with the fact that you need a dedicated computer system capable of processing the necessary images and software, and have this all setup outside in the cold/wet. Not to mention the multitude of options in terms of software setups.

I am really quite excited about the idea of the ASIAIR Pro, and think it would be an excellent investment for me.
Mario - quick question. I see in your signature you are located in ON, Canada (I am in New Brunswick). Where would you suggest I purchase the ASIAIR from? OntarioTelescope seems to have them listed, but they are currently on back-order (along with pretty much everything ZWO branded). Just curious if this is who you went with as well?

Thanks!

--
Regards,

Mario
Streetsville, Ontario

Mounts: iExos 100, Skyguider Pro
Scopes/Lenses: Main/Orion 80mm, DSLR/Tamron 18-400mm lens, guide/ZWO-340A
Eyepieces:  20mm, K9MM, KE100
Cameras: Canon T2i DSLR, ZWO120MM (guide)
Imagine Software: iPolar (for Skyguider polar alignment), iCap, Explorestars, Canon EOS Utility
[...]

Marvin Baker <marvinrb1@...>

As of a few minutes ago, High Point Scientific shows the Pro in stock. Which bothers me because they were out for a while so I ordered direct from ZWO on the 11th and so far, according to UPS, it has gone from China to Narita, Japan. I am in NC so ordering from High Point is a 2-3 day thing. Not sure about crossing the border.

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 09:36 AM, Nick Frederiksen wrote:

Chris
Try the ZWO website, I can see them for $299.00 incl free shipping, at least to the uk, priced in US dollars so probably the same. May have to wait a bit, think ZWO is Chinese.
Nick Uk

Good idea! I was considering that also. My only worry is the item physically getting across the border these days (restrictions are causing problems with customs lately, and I think its impeding some international parcels). Coupled with the probable customs and brokerage fees, which are always a mystery until the item arrives.

Chris Bourque

Nick Frederiksen <nfred1952@...>

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 12:55 PM Chris Bourque <chrisjbourque@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Wade,

You're bang-on....so long as the scope/mount is 'close to NCP'....the Goto Auto Centre / plate-solving centres the object really close to dead centre.
I've been having fun finding, centering and tracking Saturn, Jupiter, Arcturus and Antares until some clouds moved in.

Regarding the process above, I did a PA first, then brought the scope back from 60deg to the weight arm being in the vertical down position, then completed steps 1 through 5 above. Worked great....thanks!
And I think I understand now why you just don't need to leave the ASIAir app...it has everything in one simple interface.

My only issue is I've been using my guide scope and camera thus far. My main scope with my Canon DSLR is acting weird. It can perform a PA just fine, but then has trouble finishing the Goto Auto Centre plate-solving procedure.  Any exposures I take are grainy and it can't centre the object. The guide camera can do these things just fine...but the resolution is way too low obviously.
Played with the exposure on the DLSR quite a bit ....but I'm getting tired and need to call it a night. Need to save some problems to keep me busy tomorrow night :)

Thanks for the updated steps....I've put them all into an 'ASIAir Pro with iExos 100' guide which I'll post into the ASIAir forum.

Regards,

Mario

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 4:36 PM Wade Prunty <wadeprunty@...> wrote:
Mario,

1) ASIAIR Pro and iEXOS-100 mount are powered off.
2) Align/level tripod, scope and mount to NCP by sight. weight arm is in the vertical down position.
3) Power on the ASIAIR Pro and iEXOS-100
4) In the ASIAIR app, under telescope settings, click Sync to Mount
5) You're now able to accurately slew to targets using the Goto Auto-Center option within ASIAIR app, which is it's auto alignment (plate solving) method
6) Optional: Perform polar alignment.

As long as I have my equipment lined up fairly close with the NCP I have found that there might not be any need to run the polar align tool. I think the focal length you're shooting at will be the biggest factor for this, but watching your guiding graph once you start guiding on a star will also let you know whether you need to PA or not. Why wouldn't I always PA? Well, there has been some other discussions on this forum about issues that actually arise on these mounts from accurate polar alignment, like mount/gear float. It can be good for these mounts to have a constant pull/push on the gears, which can be done by biasing the balance to one side, or slightly being off PA. Doing a PA is totally up to you, and I definitely do a PA sometimes, but my point in all of this is the ASIAIR app, along with a fairly close NCP alignment, will center your target for you, no star alignments, calibration stars, accurate polar alignment needed. As long as you have a camera connected to the AISAIR Pro that it can control, and you have the GoTo Auto-Center option selected, the app will center the target perfectly every time.

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO

--
Regards,

Mario
Streetsville, Ontario

Mounts: iExos 100, Skyguider Pro
Scopes/Lenses: Main/Orion 80mm, DSLR/Tamron 18-400mm lens, guide/ZWO-340A
Eyepieces:  20mm, K9MM, KE100
Cameras: Canon T2i DSLR, ZWO120MM (guide)
Imagine Software: iPolar (for Skyguider polar alignment), iCap, Explorestars, Canon EOS Utility
Processing Software: Photoshop

Wade Prunty

[...]

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:55 PM, Mario wrote:
Then I think this is the June 8/2020 eeprom Wade is referring to, correct?

Yes,  that is the latest firmware released for the iEXOS 100 mount.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mario

Thanks for confirming Jerry, appreciated.

Then I think this is the June 8/2020 eeprom Wade is referring to, correct?

2020-JUNE-08 FIRMWARE RELEASE
iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight Mount Files:
1A01C_10B_5.eeprom
1) Updated Stepper Motor micro-step parameters to correct pointing
error when slewing between 1 and 3 degrees. Thanks Bill Black for
discovering this error and to Wes McDonald for tirelessly working
with me to nail down the root cause of this behaviour.
2) Updated motor current settings to raise the motor current when
slewing as compared to when tracking -

Regards,

Mario

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:50 PM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM, Mario wrote:
When updating firmware, do you need to apply all previous iExos firmware updates or can you just apply the June 8/2020 update and be all caught up?
Hi Mario,

You do not need to apply any previous firmware, these are not incremental updates. All you have to do is load the latest firmware.

jrh at explorescientific.com

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mario

Hey Wade....this is super helpful

When updating firmware, do you need to apply all previous iExos firmware updates or can you just apply the June 8/2020 update and be all caught up?

Assuming the firmware updated to June 8/2020 release, would the new process look something like this?

1) ASIAir and iExos mount are powered off.
2) Roughly align tripod, scope and mount to NCP. weight arm is in the vertical down position.
3) Power on the ASIAir and iExos
4) Perform a Polar Alignment via ASIAir. Once completed, this will leave the telescope tilted at 60degrees.
5) Release the clutch and return the telescope/weight arm back to vertical down position
6) In the ASIAir app,  mount controls click 'Synch to Mount'
7) You're now able to accurately slew to targets using the Goto within ASIAir.

Is that correct?

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:05 PM Wade Prunty <wadeprunty@...> wrote:
I just wanted to let everyone know that after the responses I got about the oddity of the number of steps I had to do when I first turned on my mount I decided to take some time to go back over everything. I eventually tried a firmware update and found the June 8, 2020 release. I'm pleased to say that after updating the firmware I only have one step I need to complete to begin using the mount with the ASIAIR Pro app. Once the mount is powered on, and pointed to the NCP, I simply go into the telescope control tab and clicked the Sync To Mount button. After that I'm immediately able begin slewing to my targets. FYI, If I don't complete this step the mount doesn't seem to know which way it is oriented, and if I were to click the goto home position button it would slew east on the RA axis and lay completely horizontal.

This is a big win for me!

I wish I had notated which firmware the mount was previously on, but I did not. Is there a log file stored anywhere for the configuration management utility?
--
[...]

Sorry....last post meant to respond to Harry. Apologies!

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 8:39 PM Mario via groups.io <mario1546=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Steve, I'm not that familiar with either the mount or the ASIAir as yet  (I've only had the mount since Saturday :)

The video is literally me setting up the ASIAir for the first time and using the PA on the ASIAir for the first time also. Not bad eh? :)

Wade Prunty has the same setup as we do (ASIAir and iExos 100) and he's been able to give me some really helpful direction and guidance with with this setup (see below)
I literally asked the same question late last night: 'how do you connect the mount to the ASIAir' ....see Wade's response below.

CC'ing Wade on this note as I'm not entirely sure the forum will see my reply.

My goal for this evening is to connect the mount to the ASIAir and then to practice the ASIAir PA process.
If I have time, I'm going to try and align and track...

Sorry I can't be of more help...but I'm happy to share any knowledge gained along the way.

Regards,

Mario

============

I had to use the PMC-Eight configuration manager utility to enable the USB port on the side of my iEXOS-100, but that was a one time process. It's remained active ever since. From there I run a mini USB to USB A cable from the mount to the ASIAIR Pro. The ASIAIR Pro has the iEXOS-100 as one of it's mount choices within the setup screen, so once the USB port is enabled on the mount the ASIAIR Pro can connect to it and control things like slewing and guide correction. So, other than using th CMU once, months ago, the ASIAIR Pro app is the only thing I'm using to control everything.

There is a 2-3 minute process I have to do when I first boot up the mount. I just tell myself this is the calibration process and get it over with. And I don't really know how I figured out how to do these steps, I just fiddled around with it enough.
  1. Power on the mount and connect to it with the ASIAIR Pro app.
  2. Release both clutches and align the RA and DEC, so that the mount is pointing towards the NCP. (This will become the home position)
  3. In the app, under the telescope controls, tell it to GoTo Home Position. The RA will slew to a horizontal position.
  4. Release the clutch and move the mount back to the true home position (pointing at the NCP).
  5. Lock the clutch, and click Sync to Mount in the telescope control settings.
  6. Select a target and have the mount slew to it. It usually goes to the wrong place.
  7. Select GoTo Home Position again in the telescope controls. Again, it usually ends up in the wrong place.
  8. Release the clutch and move it to the home position.
  9. Click Sync to Mount one more time under telescope controls in the app.
  10. You're now ready to use the mount.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:07 PM Harry via groups.io <flykai1=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Mario, I enjoyed your video on a “manual“ PA alignment with the ASIair pro. Like you, I cannot connect my iExos100 mount to the ASIair yet. Can I ask a couple of questions?

After you’re done with the PA, I assume you return the mount to the home position. Do you then open ExploreStars, and use the “Reset Alignment “ button? If you do, do you then do a 2/3 star alignment, or skip this step as you should already have an accurate PA.

Do you power on the mount before you do the ASIair PA, or only after you have completed the PA and returned the mount manually to its home position?

Thanks, Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars iPad, Fire HD8
Software: MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Affinity Photo, Lightroom,  SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500
Misc: ES USB Power Bank, Rigel QuikFinder, 0.8x Focal Reducer, Filters:
 Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance