Topics

IEXOS 100 dovetail and DSLR #iEXOS-100 #alignment

Stade

Edited

Hoping someone may have a similar setup as mine and could enlighten me?  I am currently learning the IEXOS 100 mount, using only a DSLR and red dot sight, no polar finder, no telescope and the polar tunnel is not much help.  Software I'm running (and learning), NINA, CDC, and astap.  I'm all set up with via serial and getting more comfortable by the night.  I'm thinking of getting a ZWO 120mm mini guide camera with a 50mm orion mini scope to mount on the dovetail beside my dslr to assist with polar alignment using Sharpcap, guiding (eventually) and eliminate the current red dot scope.  Currently during daylight, I will align my dslr, red dot sight and the iexos 100 tunnel all on something in the distance. How would I confirm that the guide scope is in sync with the polar tunnel, or mount since it's the mount that has to be polar aligned?
Thanks for any insight.
Meghan

Meghan,

I've never found it necessary to do more than an approximate alignment between my guidescope and my imaging scope. Indeed, with a sufficiently long-FL guidescope, you might need to angle it off a bit, to hit a guide star you like.

Don't worry about the tunnel.  If you take a look at the PA doc for Sharpcap, it's stated that a perfect guidescope alignment is not needed.  Don't forget that when you flip over 90 degrees, the center of that swept arc will still be defined by your RA axis.

- Bob

[Edited Message Follows]

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Chris Tardif

Hi...

I wrote a walk through for the IEXOS-100 which you can find in the files section to the left in the user contribution section.  It has pictures and descriptions.  I tried side by side and found it a little heavy and hard to balance.  Others have made this work.  I used a long dove tail bar and mounted the ZWO camera and ZWO mini guide scope underneath.  Polar align using software like ShareCap and platesolve using software as well.  Life will be good.

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

Stade

Chris, thank you for the article it's a great reference that I already have printed in my arsenal.  I'm looking forward to the help a guide cam will give me in polar alignment and future guiding.  Thank everyone for their help!

Wes Mcdonald

Meghan

As bob stated sharp cap computes the center of rotation even when there is cone angle between the finder and the polar axis.  This is one of the advantages of it.  Makes PA of the iexos a piece of cake, if you have northern sky views.

I would suggest you get a longer focal length guide scope.  This will decrease your pixel scale for guiding which will lead to better guide performance.  Something like 240mm is good, probably means a 60mm guide scope.

After adding guiding and sharp cap for PA the next thing that will change your life is plate solving integrated In NINA.  How does no muss no fuss centering of every target in you camera field of view sound to you?  Good, right?

One more thing to make your life a utopian dream is an auto focus capability.  Once you y get the focuser hardware NINA takes it from there.

NINA will also, through its total imaging automation chain, make it possible for you to start an imaging session and go away until it finished....including meridian flip.

Stade

Wes,
I enjoy the time under the stars, but at my age, I am also looking forward to the automation and turning in at midnight, instead of 4 or 5am (LOL).