Topics

"Please Wait" #app #windows10 #pmc-eight

Dallin

Hi,

I have been using/learning the ES PMC-8 with my Ipad Mini for the past few months for visual use. However, just purchased a new Dell XPS 9300 with Windows 10 home edition (I have always been a Mac user) to eventually operate the PMC-8 for astrophotography. For now I am just wanting to connect my new laptop to the PMC-8 using the Windows 10 ExploreStars app in order to get a feel for running the mount via the laptop. I'll worry about using other planetarium/guiding/imaging software after I gain more experience.

I downloaded/installed the Windows 10 ExploreStars app using the link provided on the ExploreScientific webiste (https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/microsoft-windows-10-explorestars-app-download). I then downloaded the Windows 10 ExploreStars app data and extracted the files in my "Pictures" folder per instructions on the PMC-Eight windows install tutorial video. After extracting the data and opening the app, I get the "please 'wait" as I should. After verifying that the app data is available in the app (I can see all objects/photos in the app) I closed out the app, powered off the PMC-8, and restarted the computer. However, after powering the PMC-8 back on, connecting to the PMC-Eight-xx wifi, and then opening the ExploreStars app, the "Please Wait" will not go away. I understand this means that the PMC-8 is not communicating with the Laptop. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall both the app and the app data with no success.

I am still able to successfully connect and control the mount via my Ipad Mini and the iOS ExploreStars app, so I am not sure why the laptop will not communicate with the PMC-8 via wireless. I am not interested in wired connection yet.

I have spent several hours reading these forums but none of the suggestions in other threads regarding the "please wait" not changing have fixed the problem.

--
Dallin McLaws
Location:

Eduardo Simone

Dallin,

The please wait is telling you that your computer is loading the data from the DB file, just let it sit there in that state for around 5 mins, maybe a little longer, if it doesn’t work, try installing the explore stars app through the pmc-8 configuration manager, it’ll put the database in the correct location, I ran into the same problem, I actually walked away from my laptop and came back to it 15-20 mins later and the “Please Wait” was gone and works great. Give it a shot and walk away from it during the “Please Wait”   If no go try reinstall through the config manager. Hope it helps.

Ed
--
Meade LX 80 6" SCT and Meade DS 114mm Newtonian
Meade 2nd Digital Series Goto mount with 497 bandbox

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 01:53 AM, Ed wrote:
The please wait is telling you that your computer is loading the data from the DB file,
Hi Ed,

No, this is not correct. The Please Wait message on the Windows ExploreStars means that the tablet does not have a communications connection with the PMC-Eight controller. To verify the database on the Windows host is there, you just select an object from the database and see that it has the graphic and the description for that object.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dallan

Can’t say what’s up but try this.  Make sure all the WiFi networks are not set to connect automatically in windows.  Perhaps the pmc8 is dropped and your home WiFi got connected by windows.

Also you have to probably make sure your firewall is allowing the connection.  Try just turning it off and see if that gets things going.

Dallin

Wes,

I should have included that I do have the connect automatically box unchecked. The firewall makes since so I will look into that.

thank you,

dallin
-
Dallin McLaws
Location:
Vail, AZ
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight EXOSII
Scopes: Omegon 110 F6 FPL-53 ED APO CF
Cameras:  Nikon D850
Operating System: Dell XPS Windows10 / Ipad Mini
Software: ExploreStars

Dallin

Hi again Wes,

I completely disabled the firewall, have all "connect automatically" boxes unchecked, powered on the PMC, connected to the PMC-Eight-xx network, and then opened the app and still no luck. Any other thoughts?

cheers,

Daliln
--
Dallin McLaws
Location:
Vail, AZ
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight EXOSII
Scopes: Omegon 110 F6 FPL-53 ED APO CF
Cameras:  Nikon D850
Operating System: Dell XPS Windows10 / Ipad Mini
Software: ExploreStars

Bob Trepiccione

Have you confirmed that you're connected to the mount via UDP and not TCP in the configuration manager?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 08:12 PM, Dallin wrote:
I completely disabled the firewall, have all "connect automatically" boxes unchecked, powered on the PMC, connected to the PMC-Eight-xx network, and then opened the app and still no luck. Any other thoughts?
Hi Dallin,

I am sorry you are having this issue.  I assume that you can still connect to the PMC-Eight with your tablet. The only other thing that I can suggest is to check you local WiFi traffic using the program wifiinfoview. You can download it here:
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

You should look and find a fairly quiet channel and use the WiFi dongle to switch the channel to that channel.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Yorksman

Edited

I had something similar happen to me when I connected via a serial cable and used the app. On the next occasion, when I tried to connect via wifi, the laptop would connect with the PMC Eight wifi connection, the app would open with the Please Wait notice. It was nothing to do with the location of the database. Same message but different cause. It would eventually close the app. It turned out that I had to reconnect to wifi using UDP in the PMC Eight configuration manager, as if some virtual switch had been flicked. Perhaps something similar is happening because you have successfully used the ipad. A step to try would be to download the PMC Eight Configuration Manager, connect to the PMC Eight wifi and then run the manager and make sure it is connecting using UDP. It might say UNKNOWN.

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Your firewall will have nothing to do with this! You need to think about it logically shooting in the dark won't help him resolve his issue.  Open configuration manager and check your connection. The pmc 8 configuration manager is there to help.see what you are connected too. For es needs to be udp. For anything else its tcp.

Cheers

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dallin

It is true that you have to get the config of the pmc8 set to communicate via udp.  But since you were on your tablet ok I figured you were set correctly.  So beefy you have the WiFi connection in the pmc8 set for udp.

Beyond that we just have to start at go.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 05:07 AM, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Your firewall will have nothing to do with this!
Hi Shallendra,

That's not true, the latest WIndows 10 configurations for the firewall can block UDP traffic to WiFi connections that are local ad hoc connections.
We have had several customers have this happen and identified this can be an issue.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Hey Jerry. I'm surprised.  As that what I do. My teams manage the end user desktop estate for banks. A standard configured windows device should have no problems. If private networks and individual firewalls have been configured then yes. Depending on what they have configured guest networks ghost networks etc. Yes defo. But out of the box setup should be fine. I have 4 independent windows machines all connected to es no issues. All on a confiugured guest network. So mine is non standard.

I have also tried it on an open network again no issues. With standard build win 10 Pro.  All in the uk of course.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

One thing I have noticed with es. If you conncet multiple devices.. ie when i first stated using it I'd often try the laptop. If it failed go to the ipad. It worked. Switch other way round and same issue but reversed. So weird. Thats when I started to always open the configuration manager (even though you don't need it) it gives you a quick view of what your system is seeing. Also the green light indicator on the mount is key. Sometimes it would say connected in es and config manager but the green light was not on. I think its like any system sometimes it gets confused. A reboot of all devices always cleared the fault for me. So I always stuck with using pmc 8 config mnager and that helped to stabilise the connection.

Cheers
:-)

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 09:59 AM, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Also the green light indicator on the mount is key. Sometimes it would say connected in es and config manager but the green light was not on.
Hi Shallendra,

You bring up a good point about the Green communications LED.  It is important to understand the function of this LED during the boot process and also during active communications.

When booting the iEXOS 100 mount, the first part of the sequence gets all the processors loaded with their individual tasks and starts up the ESP 8266 WiFi module by doing a factory reset and then sending commands to the module to configure it for use with the PMC-Eight controller. Some of the configuration parameters are hard-coded in the firmware instructions and others are stored values in the EEPROM that are used when configuring the module. After this is complete and the WiFi module is booted up, the processors start their tasks and one of the tasks lights up the Green LED. Once the boot process is complete then the Green LED goes out. At this point it is safe to try and connect the host computer to the PMC-Eight WiFi connection. When connected and active communication is occurring, the Green LED will once again light up and stay lit while communications is occurring. This is the same with Serial connections. Whenever communications is discontinued, the Green LED will go out.

This is basically the same for the G11/EXOS 2 PMC-Eight although the Microchip RN-131 module does not get configured during the controller boot process.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Yes i was left scratching my head many times. With it saying connected and doing nothing. So always checked the light. Is there a light on the exos 2 gt? I don't see it?

But tbh connection problems with exos 2 don't seem to be apparent. Connects brilliantly! I manage to get Terry L going. So he can finally use his mount :-)

I love the wireless on this thing.! Brilliant!

Cheers Jerry

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Is there a diagram what the lights on the exos 2 gt pmc 8 system mean? Just interested in the what they mean?

Thanks
Shailendra

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

I think i was having a blonde moment when I said about the light on exos 2! I was in 100 mode! 🤣

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Nemesis2a

Sounds like the same problem I had. I think the way we fixed it was uninstall Explore Stars then reinstall. Reboot laptop and it worked. Jerry might be able to confirm that. Ither thing you can do is watch video if show we did on that subject a few weeks ago.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/what-do-the-leds-on-the-pmc-eight-mean

jrh at explorescientific.com