Topics

#iEXOS-100 in Stellarium always complaining about the mount being parked #iEXOS-100

deonb

How do I "unpark" the mount to use it in Stellarium?

NINA also gives me a message that the mount is parked, but it unparks it itself. However, Stellarium doesn't.

I tried unparking it in SharpCap, but it doesn't make Stellarium happy.

This is using the Stellarium Telescope Control plugin. I see there is some old comments on this thread using POTH instead, but it seems like POTH is no longer installed with the ASCOM Platform.

Bob Trepiccione

Ascom 6.5 did away with the POTH Hub and replaced it with the device hub. That lets you connect multiple devices to the mount.

You can reinstall 6.5 and choose to install the POTH Hub, but you might be better off just uninstalling 6.5 a d going with 6.4.

That solved issues I was having...

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

How do I "unpark" the mount to use it in Stellarium?

NINA also gives me a message that the mount is parked, but it unparks it itself. However, Stellarium doesn't.

I tried unparking it in SharpCap, but it doesn't make Stellarium happy.

This is using the Stellarium Telescope Control plugin. I see there is some old comments on this thread using POTH instead, but it seems like POTH is no longer installed with the ASCOM Platform.

deonb

Ok, yeah, that works. But wow, this really feels like an obsolete slapped-together thing. Is Explore Scientific not really supporting these mounts anymore?

Wade Prunty

I actually think Explore Scientific supports their mounts a bit more than most other vendors. Their responsiveness in this forum is proof of that.
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO

Wes Mcdonald

Deonb

“Is explore Scientific not supporting these mounts anymore?”

Don’t be silly.  The pmc8 based mounts are their main line.  Of course they are supporting them.   The ways they do are to numerous to mention in my hunt and peck cell phone.

ASCOM has no affiliation with Explore Scientific.  What ever ascom does they do.  6.4 was the mainstay program for many years.  They just released 6.5 a while ago.  There are numerous complaints and issues that arise with it, among them issues with stellarium.

ES tests their firmware to the ASCOM compliance test and passes all tests.

Your inability to unpark has nothing to do with the ES product.  Unparking is an ASCOM thing. ES knows where park is but it does not stop responding once parked.   That is an ASCOM thing.   I imagine the driver might actually respond with a parked status to an ASCOM query tho, and probably won’t move u til an ASCOM method call demands an unpark.

POTH hub was deprecated and replaced in release 6.5 but POTH is retained but not installed automatically.   If you want to stick with 6.5 go ahead.  But be aware there are issues  You can still load up and run POTH.

NINA unparks mounts in ASCOM 6.4 just fine.  Personally I have not gone to 6.5 because of the reported issues with it.  6.4 works fine, and unless you specifically need what 6.5 added you don’t want 6.5.

In summary you won’t find anyone who supports their gear to the level of ES, to include the design engineer being in the forum everyday to answer questions.  Furthermore ES has a daily hour long video chat where topics specific to their equipment are discussed.  Furthermore the website has links to pertinent sections of every broadcast for your viewing and learning pleasure.

I haven’t seen your name around so I take it you are new here.  Welcome to the group.  This place has a lot of people willing to help.  And there are a lot of resources available to you within ES web resources if you take the time and bother to look and learn.

Again, welcome aboard.

Deonb

One other thing

Stellarium is a great planetarium program and a not so hot telescope control program.  As far as I can see it never had any ability to unpark an ASCOM mount.  In fact it couldn’t do anything with a mount prior to version 19.3– one had to use a helper app called stellarium scope.

POTH has a park/unpark button.  If you don’t run NINA or APT or some other program that incorporates the ability to demand an ASCOM unpark when you are using Stellarium, then you are going to have to use POTH.  Perhaps the new 6.5 has that feature somewhere.

There is no reason not to run NINA or APT with stellarium and the pmc8 and in fact they make great playmates.  Personally I moved from APT to NINA for its total automation and will never go back.  It is the next best thing.  As for Stellarium I use it with NINA as a planetarium and import it’s position into NINA.  But NINA catalog is danged nice all by itself.  And the ES ASCOM compliant driver just keeps percolating along with all of this stuff.

One thing the ES has that is different than most companies (if not all) is that their designer owns and runs their equipment in a research observatory he operates all the time to perform work with exoplanets.  He is well aware of all of the firmware and software as he has written much of it, uses it, and supports all of it.  And that same guy is available to everyone in the forum all the time.

Recently a user discovers an obscure characteristic that lead, under specific circumstance, to a pointing error.  This was so obscure that most users never encountered it and in fact non had ever reported it in years of operation.  I had never encountered it to where I noticed it.  When that was reported ES took to researching and correcting the issue— I know of the effort expended first hand as I was part of that effort (voluntary user helping out). Fixed and distributed essentially as fast as could be done.

So yes,ES supports their mounts.