Topics

A New Subgroup Soon

Wes Mcdonald

Folks:

Been discussing things with Jerry relative to topics related to using the PMC8 with applications and or hardware from other than Explore Scientific.  Jerry is going to create a new subgroup, called PMC8 Application.  This follows your comments in response to his post concerning the thread on Kastars and other allied issues.  While the other subgroups have been reserved by the terms of service to discuss matters directly related to connecting, maintaining, and performance of the PMC8, this one is for discussions about other applications.  These do not need to be connected to the PMC8 directly, rather this is a subgroup for all of us PMC8 owers and users to exchange ideas and information concerning how to setup and use all the various applications we employ.  This is where we, as users of the PMC8, can get relevant information about how these applications can be used to get the most from our PMC8 products.  In my view this is superior to going out to Cloudy Nights where the average respondent will know nothing about the PMC8 or our ES mounts. Of course, for general information the Internet and other forums remain a valuable source for information, but this subgroup will be where application-specific and relevant information will be able to be shared among us all for our common mount and controller hardware.

Look for an announcement soon from Jerry.

Wes.

👍

On 19 Sep 2020, at 22:57, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael Whitaker
Wakefield, UK.
MOUNTS. Exos-2 PMC Eight..
SCOPE: RVO Horizon 72ed.
CAMERA: Not Applicable.
SOFTWARE: Just iPad at moment.

Harry

👍
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Affinity Photo, Lightroom,  SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500
Misc: ES USB Power Bank, Rigel QuikFinder, 0.8x Focal Reducer
Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

Chris Bourque

Awesome idea!

On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 05:57 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Been discussing things with Jerry relative to topics related to using the PMC8 with applications and or hardware from other than Explore Scientific.
I want to thank Wes for reaching out to me and helping to create a reasonable and rational solution to this ongoing problem we have been having related to the terms of service Rule Number 8. Creating a separate subgroup was suggested once before but I did not agree at the time that it was a good idea. The issue I have as explained in that previous post was that I do not want to provide a subgroup that will turn into a forum for other manufacturer's equipment to be promoted over our own current and/or future equipment and software. Rule number 8 in the terms of service will be different for the PMC-Eight Application Subgroup and will now state:

"The PMC-Eight Application Subgroup is available to members to discuss all manner of third-party equipment, software, and other materials needed for our customers to have the best experience using the PMC-Eight system with these third-party products. The discussion SHALL NOT BE LIMITED TO describing the how and why of the setup, configuration, and any other requirements needed to properly get the third-party product to work effectively with the PMC-Eight system.
In the PMC-Eight Application Subgroup, the members are invited and encouraged to discuss the integration of all the various third-party tools as necessary to get the best performance and experience using these products.

The only restriction is that members are not to either bash, or overly promote any specific manufacturer or product over any other manufacturer or product.  All that is required to keep from having a message or thread locked or deleted is to just state the facts about any circumstance or feature of the product and how you have configured or set it up."

I will be amending the terms of service to include this statement in Rule number 8.

I will be adding every member of the PMC-Eight MAIN group to the new PMC-Eight Application Subgroup,
YOU WILL HAVE TO OPT-OUT OF THE SUBGROUP if you do not want to be a member. You can also set your email preferences under the Subscription menu item at the top of the left hand menu.

Also, since this is a new Subgroup, you will have to copy your signature from the MAIN group settings to the new Subgroup settings. If you do not have a signature already set, please set one up, it helps everyone understand what equipment you have during your discussions.

Again, as always, I want to thank everyone for your support of Explore Scientific and the PMC-Eight system. We are moving forward and you can look forward to new and interesting products from us in the future.

Thank you, and Clear Skies!!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Luke

That's very nice solution. I honestly think it was the best option. Thank you Jerry. :)

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mounts:       ES PMC-Eight G11 - upgraded with OPWB on both RA and DEC
                     EXOS-2 GT PMC-EIGHT
Scopes:       Televue NP127IS with HSM20 and focuser boss II - Questar field model 3.5 - Takahashi FC76 classic MC Starbase Tokyo edition - Takahashi FOA60Q - Zeiss telementor - Lomo Astele 150mm
Cameras:     ZWO ASI071 PRO
                     ZWO ASI 290
Misc:            Televue 0.8 X  Focal Reducer - ZWO ASIAIR-PRO
Eyepieces:  Pentax - Masuyama - Televue - Takahashi - Vixen
Software:     Starry night PRO 8  - Nebulosity - Topaz studio - Sharp cap

I wanted to make sure everyone was aware of how to take advantage of the new PMC-Eight Application Subgroup, so here is what I posted on the Subgroup front page:
https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/PMC-EightApplication

Welcome to the PMC-Eight Application Subgroup.

Unlike the other subgroups that are restricted by Terms of Service Rule Number 8 (https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/3224to discuss matters directly related to the PMC-Eight:

The PMC-Eight Application subgroup is for discussions about other third-party applications that make use of the PMC-Eight and make up your entire Astronomical Imaging System (AIS), and IS NOT restricted to discussions directly or indirectly related to the PMC-Eight system.

Here is the new addition to Rule Number 8:

The PMC-Eight Application Subgroup is available to members to discuss all manner of third-party equipment, software, and other materials needed for our customers to have the best experience using the PMC-Eight system with these third-party products. The discussion SHALL NOT BE LIMITED TO describing the how and why of the setup, configuration, and any other requirements needed to properly get the third-party product to work effectively with the PMC-Eight system.
In the PMC-Eight Application Subgroup, the members are invited and encouraged to discuss the integration of all the various third-party tools as necessary to get the best performance and experience using these products.

The only restriction is that members are not to either bash, or promote any specific manufacturer or product over any other manufacturer or product.  All that is required to keep from having a message or thread locked or deleted is to just state the facts about any circumstance or feature of the product and how you have configured or set it up.

These discussions do not need to be connected to the PMC-Eight directly or indirectly, rather this is a subgroup for all PMC-Eight owners and users to exchange ideas and information concerning how to setup and use all the various applications we employ.

This is where users of the PMC-Eight can post relevant information about how various third-party applications can be used to get the most from PMC-Eight products.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 12:22 PM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
Unlike the other subgroups that are restricted by Terms of Service Rule Number 8 (https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/3224to discuss matters directly related to the PMC-Eight: The PMC-Eight Application subgroup is for discussions about other third-party applications that make use of the PMC-Eight and make up your entire Astronomical Imaging System (AIS), and IS NOT restricted to discussions directly or indirectly related to the PMC-Eight system.
I wanted to offer some additional guidance on this addition to Rule Number 8:

If you suspect that the thread you are about to start has the potential to veer off into discussion unrelated to the PMC-Eight, PLEASE post it to the new PMC-Eight Application Subgroup.

Thanks again for your support of this forum and the PMC-Eight System!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data