POTH Crashing

ToddB

Im at my wits end and unless I can get an answer, I’m hanging it up, so thank you for your time.

I got the iEXOS100 about a year ago and it’s been a nightmare out of the box, mainly due to POTH crashing/freezing when using this mount.

My first question: Is this mount supposed to work with ASCOM/POTH or not (meaning it doesn’t consistently freeze)?

If No, then we can stop there. If Yes, then I need help understanding what the solution is.

Quick background: It was constantly freezing on one computer, so I eventually erased the hard drive and reloaded everything. Then I did that two more times. Then someone suggested it was my computer, so I bought an expensive powerful computer, but nothing changed. I’ve tried ASCOM 6.4 and 6.5, I’ve bought cables in triplicate to make sure it’s not a cable,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 03:48 AM, ToddB wrote:
Im at my wits end and unless I can get an answer, I’m hanging it up, so thank you for your time.

I got the iEXOS100 about a year ago and it’s been a nightmare out of the box, mainly due to POTH crashing/freezing when using this mount.

My first question: Is this mount supposed to work with ASCOM/POTH or not (meaning it doesn’t consistently freeze)?

If No, then we can stop there. If Yes, then I need help understanding what the solution is.

Quick background: It was constantly freezing on one computer, so I eventually erased the hard drive and reloaded everything. Then I did that two more times. Then someone suggested it was my computer, so I bought an expensive powerful computer, but nothing changed. I’ve tried ASCOM 6.4 and 6.5, I’ve bought cables in triplicate to make sure it’s not a cable,
Hi Todd,

I am sorry you are having these issues. Rest assured that the POTH works fine and has been working fine for several years with the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver. The issue is with your computer somehow. It is unfortunate that you have been suffering with this issue for a year. It appears that you only joined this forum about 4 1/2 months ago. I see you have posted your problem only one other time in June and you received a few responses with advice, but you never responded back after the advice was given.

I see you question if the ASCOM platform is good or not, of course it is, thousands of people have used it for decades, and version 6.4 has been around for several years.  I have personally been using platform 6.4 and POTH in our observatory for almost 5 years now since January 2016.

Have you reached out to our customer service before April 2020?  I don't think you have sent me a personal email, please correct me if I am wrong.

We will do our best to figure out what is going on with your computer system.  I am sure others will respond also to your call for help.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Todd

1.  What driver did you load.  You should use the one with a name containing “anycpu” or some such.

2.  Be sure to load a good driver for your iexos FTDI usb to serial adapter.

3.  When you load ascom be sure the ascom test passes 100% clean. For some unknown reason it does not always.

4.  You could try using ascom 6.5 and use their poth alternative.

5.  You don’t have some fancy IT stuff going on such as a virtual machine do you?  I think some on the forum do run on a VM but it’s not common I think and in my view is a good way for strange stuff to happen.

I can’t say why poth would be blowing up on you.  I have had it bomb a time or five but that was back when I was using a windows 10 tablet.  It hasn’t been a problem since I changed to a dell laptop, nor has it been a problem on my bootcamped Mac mini.  But I can assure you the likelihood of it being the iexos is vanishingly small, as I and many others have that thing.