Does Explore Stars only work on WiFi for a PC running Windows? #ExploreStars

David

Hi all,

Newbie question as I’ve trawled the forum and can’t see an answer. Does Explore Stars only work with WiFi?

I have installed it on my laptop and everything works fine over WiFi.

I then follow the application note and switch to Serial via parallax and putty programs and get all the correct messages as per the AN but when I connect the serial cable the green light briefly flashes when I connect the serial cable, but then goes out when I start Explore Stars.

I’m running the latest firmware etc. but tried two laptops and neither works.

any help greatly appreciated.

TIA
David

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tbowman@...>

What Type of mount are you using right now?

Yorksman

As far as I know, the application Explore Stars only works with wifi. You can get the mount to work with a serial connection and an ascom driver, but I don't think these work with ExploreStars. If you want to use a serial connection, the ascom device hub and Cartes du Ciel work well.

Wes Mcdonald

David

Explorestars only works over WiFi.  Serial is for ascom.

Wade Prunty

Wes, would it be possible to have WiFi and Serial enabled at the same time on PMC-8 system and have it accepting UDP and TCP requests? If the mounts shipped this way I think a ton of the support issues would go away and users would be able to use both ExploreStars and a computer without having to go back and forth through the config manager. If it is possible I'll submit it under the feature request subgroup.
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO

Wes Mcdonald

Wade:

The PMC-8 box associated with the Exos2 has a wifi module which will do either TCP or UDP.  The Iexos wifi module only goes one way or the other.

The serial port is not TCP or UDP, it is a direct serial connection.

It would be cool to have both the serial port and the WiFi able to be used without switching the mode from serial to Wifi.  That would be a great suggestion.

But the WiFi modules are what they are, at least for now so their performance probably won't change -- Exos2 is ambidextrous, but the iExos is not.

Wes.

Wade Prunty

Wes,

Yes, I understand that TCP/UDP are different protocols that work over the IP protocol. I didn’t mean for it to seem like I was associating them with serial, I was just hopping that all of the above could be enabled at once, which it looks like isn’t possible.

If that’s the case I think it would be very beneficial for there to be a Mac “app” that can manage these. I’m not talking about managing the firmware, just the type of connection the mount has enabled. There are a lot of Mac users who will not have a Windows machine to do this with, and who don’t have a clue how to use terminal.
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO
ZWO ASI183MM Pro, ASI533MC Pro
Canon 5D, T3i (Both Astro Mods)
William Optics UniGuide
ZWO ASI120MM-S
ZWO ASIAIR Pro

Ian Morison

Hi All,
       with thanks to you the other day I was able to take a 'first light' image using the new mount.  Nothing particularly interesting about the image but the mount proved its worth.  I was just able to balance a Teleskop Service 66mm quad astrograph and Sony A7S full frame sensor camera - quite a heavy combination.  The mount was aligned on the NCP using a laser pointer beamed through the alignment port.  (I could even try mounting my QHY Polemaster!)  The Sony A7S employs a noise reduction algorithm that can remove stars for exposures longer than 30 seconds so I took 40, 30 second exposures, and aligned and stacked the raw frames in Sequator. The  light pollution was  removed in Photoshop (I have an article on how to do this in my digest (www.ianmorison.com)  - note only 1 'r'. )

I also append the 'Astrometry.net' plate solve result.    The TS scope (now in 71mm guise) does give excellent star images right to the corners of the frame and this plus the mount will make a very good system to take out to a dark sky site.

Sadly, the total exposure was not long enough to see the H-alpha Nebulosity but it does show that the mount can handle unguided exposures of 30 seconds length with a 423mm focal length telescope - which was just what I had hoped.

Thanks again Wes and Jerry.

PS: There could also be some other useful articles within the ~80 in the digest.

Wes Mcdonald

Wade:

Sorry, my reply to you was circuitous enough to confuse.

It is not presently possible to have the serial connection live while the wifi module is selected, but it seems likely it would be possible to make it so.  I would say go ahead and make the suggestion.

Wes.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 09:15 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
It is not presently possible to have the serial connection live while the wifi module is selected, but it seems likely it would be possible to make it so.  I would say go ahead and make the suggestion.

Hi Wade, Wes,

This feature is already in the plans and requires a somewhat major change to the PMC-Eight firmware. The need for this feature is driven by new product development over the next few months.
Wade, could you write a command line script for people to use on the Mac to issue the ES commands to switch between WiFi and Serial?  It seems like this should be very simple. It is on Windows using Telnet on the command line,.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Wade Prunty

Jerry,

I'll definitely take a look at this. I just ordered my EXOS2 today, so next week I'll be able to test against the iEXOS-100, but also the EXOS2 board.
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO
ZWO ASI183MM Pro, ASI533MC Pro
Canon 5D, T3i (Both Astro Mods)
William Optics UniGuide
ZWO ASI120MM-S
ZWO ASIAIR Pro

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tbowman@...>

How is the mount going Wade?

Wade Prunty

The moon has absolutely killed me this week! Hopefully soon I’ll be able to post something from it with the AR102. I did run it one night off the ASIAIR Pro and it worked great! Here’s an image of it setup on my telescope platform.

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100
William Optics SpaceCat 51 APO
ZWO ASI183MM Pro, ASI533MC Pro
Canon 5D, T3i (Both Astro Mods)
William Optics UniGuide
ZWO ASI120MM-S
ZWO ASIAIR Pro

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Gorgeous

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC, LLC

1010 South 48th Street

Springdale, AR 72762 USA

Brands: Explore Scientific | Bresser | Explore One
Official Licensee: National Geographic | Discovery

Publications:  Sky's Up Magazine

Affiliations: UNESCO Space Education Program | AstronomyOutreach network