locked Replacing the tripod for the IEXOS-100 #iEXOS-100 #Off-Topic

Ming

Edited

I'm thinking about getting the IEXOS-100 as a portable GOTO mount for my 4" refractor. It will be used for visual only as I've got a belt modded HEQ5 for imaging already.

The mount looks like it can take more payload than what is in the specs if I get the fine azimuth adjuster, additional weights and a heavier duty tripod. The AZ Adjuster and the counterweights are available in UK, but the heavier ST2/ST3 tripods are nowhere to be found. Bresser (the reseller of ES in the EU/UK) does sell the Twilight I Alt-AZ mount that includes the ST2 tripod, but the tripod isn't available on its own.

Does anyone know how I'll be able to get my hand on one of these tripods? If not, can I just get the AZ Adjuster and then use the mount with my Skywatcher tripod (the one for EQ5/HEQ5)?

Chris Bourque

How much does your 4" refractor weigh?
For comparison, I am imaging with a 71mm refractor, plus 60mm guidescope. Plus guide cam, and dslr with focal reducer, all-in is close to 12 lbs. Plus an 11lb counterweight to balance everything. All of this with the original ST1 tripod, and getting very impressive results!

Since you are only looking to do visual with the iExos-100, is it even worth upgrading the tripod?
--
Mounts: iExos-100 + ST1 Tripod + Az Adj
Scopes: WO Zenithstar 71 + 0.8x Flattener/Reducer, Celestron 5SE, Starfield 60mm guidescope

Ming

Edited

The refractor that I use for visual is the APM 107/700 which weighs about 5.7kg on its own. If I add a 2" diagonal and a decent eyepiece, it will be over the payload limit of the mount on the stock tripod (6.6kg + 2kg weights = 8.6kg as shown in the specs). And I haven't taken into account the extra weights that I'll need for balancing on the RA axis.

I've noticed that you're using the az adj with the stock tripod. Does that alone help increasing the payload limit to 10kg+ for imaging? If this is the case, I might give it a try with the stock tripod although I'd still like to know if the az adj would make the mount compatible with the skywatcher eq5 tripod (in case I need it).
--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & portable EQ mount (still choosing ...)

Software: BYE, PHD2, Astrotortilla, Stellarium, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

Chris Bourque

Hmm, I suppose at 5.6Kg + 2" diagonal + eyepieces, you may be getting close to (and above) the rated load capacity. But I would still think you'd be okay, for visual alone. Given I am in the same ballpark for weight (23-24lbs including CW), and I am imaging (visual weight limit is higher than for imaging). But perhaps one of the experts can weigh in? (gah... no pun intended! Haha)

In the mean time, I would refer you to the following thread re: weight limits for the various tripod configurations (perhaps you have seen this?):

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/34237941#4665

Jerry has provided a very nice comparison chart between the different configurations (focused on upgrade price though, so not exactly what you're looking for). In addition to this, I think if you search around these forums, you will run across a few other folks pushing the weight limits of this mount quite successfully.

I believe Jerry has also mentioned in several posts that the internals (gear and motor system) in the iExos-100 is very similar to that of the EXOS2. And thus weight limits for the iExos-100 mount should actually not be too far off, if not for the smaller tripod. Again, perhaps one of the experts can confirm?

I am afraid I am unsure if adding the az adjuster alone will help increase payload capacity of the ST1 tripod. All I can relay is my experience. And as I say, I am already above the rated limits of the mount using the ST1 tripod for imaging. Nevertheless I am having great success with it. Perhaps this is, in part, due to the addition of the az adjuster.

--
Mounts: iExos-100 + ST1 Tripod + Az Adj
Scopes: WO Zenithstar 71 + 0.8x Flattener/Reducer, Celestron 5SE, Starfield 60mm guidescope
Cameras: Canon 60D (non-astro) main cam, ZWO ASI120MM Mini guide
Software/Computer: ASIair Pro

Ming

Thanks very much for the link and for sharing your experience, Chris.

The ST2 tripod + 1x extra weight can help increase the visual payload capacity to 8.8kg. So theoretically it could go even further if the mount + az adj were compatible with the slightly heavier skywatcher eq5 tripod (compared to st2). That would be very impressive for a mount in this price range considering all the other features I get (belt drive, pmc8 and wifi). Let's hope someone who's tried this combination or an ES support staff could chip in.
--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & portable EQ mount (still choosing ...)

Eyepieces: ES68 24mm, ES82 8.8mm, 14mm; TV Delos 4.5mm, Panoptic 35mm & 2.5x Powermate; BST 3.2mm, 5mm, 12mm & 25mm
Imaging: Canon EOS 600Da, Canon 135mm f/2L + 1.4x extender, TS 2" 0.79x FR, IDAS NB1 & D2 filters, Altair Starwave 50mm + ZWO ASI120MM Mini (guiding)

Software: BYE, PHD2, Astrotortilla, Stellarium, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

Wes Mcdonald

Ming:

You will get the iEXOS tripod when you buy the mount.  Buy the mount and see if you need to upgrade.  For visual I would guess you will be fine, but if you upgrade the tripod you will for sure.  The azimuth adjuster I would say is mostly to enable better polar alignment.  Once you get the iEXOS you can make a determination if you can make it fit your other tripod.

Wes.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 07:46 AM, Karol Trepala wrote:
Below is short movie where I try to apply the same force on both those tripods.
Hi Karol,

Please provide a link to the movie stored in your cloud storage or other web site as this file is very large at 15Mb and uses a significant portion of our limited overall storage limit of 1Gb.I will be deleting this attachment after a few days to conserve space on the forum. All members should note that we have almost 600 members and over 3 years of messages and attachments on the site and we are already using about 95% of our file space so I have to actively manage this limited resource here on the forum.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Edited

We appreciate the thought but they are all the same in designs for this price point not much is different between the two.

they are basically all the same the normal use of the mount doesn't put the stress as you demonstrated on the video.

Here is a link to a message from last year where I speculate on the weight capacity for the iEXOS 100 mount using the larger tripods. I imagine a lot of members that have joined since then have not seen this thread.

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/4663

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Karol Trepala

Edited

I tried to edit my previous message and I delete it accidentally, fortunately I copied text before, so I'm placing it again below:

"I live in France and dedicated tripods are also not available (or at least difficult to buy). But what I can recomend you is iOptron tripod. I have got it and I noted that despite the same size and weight as the standard iexos tripod. ioptron is much more stable. Below is short movie where I try to apply the same force on both those tripods. It is not very noticable on the movie, but belive me that iexos mount is bending much more than ioptron. You would have to switch tripod heads, and for that you must cut it a little bit according the line visible on the photo, but it is worth it. Probably it wont be as good as with bigger tripod but for sure much better than with standard one."

@Tyler Bowman
Yes both those tripods looks very similar, and I was surprised to, but ioptron is significantly more stable. it is mainly due to more robust plastic connectors between tripod head and the legs, and bigger diameter of internal segment of the legs.
I don't try to say that this can be an alternative for bigger tripod, but if someone would like to improve slightly tripod capacity keeping low weight of he tripod, and 90 euro is not an issue this can be some solution.

@Jerry Hubbell
Sorry I am not able to put movie somewhere in the cloud, nevertheless it isn't so important to keep it here forever. As a temporary solution I reduced size of that movie.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

The purpose of this forum is to educate people on our products and you have a right to your opinion.

We have Terms of Service for a reason and you breached them but promoting other product without our site page.

If you want to see about getting the bigger legs it would be expensive but it can be done.

Karol Trepala

I thought this forum is to give a good advice and support for the users of your products... sorry, my bad.
I gave that advice, based on my issues with looking for some shop with your bigger tripod. If you will tell me where in France or Belgium is it possible to buy ST3 tripod I will do that instead of looking for some alternative solutions like in my previous post.
If you don't wan't to see here any criticism about your products (which in general I really like, but they are not perfect), just remove my posts it's not an issue for me I just tried to help others.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Edited

There is a particular place within groups.IO that you can do that but not here.

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/PMC-EightApplication

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC, LLC

1010 South 48th Street

Springdale, AR 72762 USA

Brands: Explore Scientific | Bresser | Explore One
Official Licensee: National Geographic | Discovery

Publications:  Sky's Up Magazine

Affiliations: UNESCO Space Education Program | AstronomyOutreach network