Thoughts on an ES IEXOS-100 for a beginner #iEXOS-100

Apre

Hello, I am just getting into astrophotography; however, I have been into space and photography for several years now. I am a teenager and I want to buy my first set of astrophotography gear; I already have a DSLR and 2 telephoto lenses (plus other wider lenses) which include a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a 70-300 f4 - f5.6. So I was looking for a mount and I came across the IEXOS-100 which fell within my budget and looked like a good option; however, I have heard people say negative things about and some say good things. What are your peoples thought on this mount for a beginner; I plan to put a guidescope on it as soon as possible. I dont mind spending time to learn it but is there any major drawbacks apart for the polar scope issue (and how bad is that issue really).
Thanks for your time,
S.

Ian Morison

Hi S,
I can only say that it is an excellent mount for doing astrophotography with a DSLR and lens or small refractor as I am aiming to do with mine (when we get some clear skies).   My personal view is that it is better to take many short exposure frames (15 to 60 seconds) and then stack them in a free program like Sequator.  This makes the alignment far less critical. In fact I do not want the alignment to be perfect so that the stars move across the sensor during, say, a 30 minute total exposure.  This suppresses color mottling due to variations in sensitivity of the pixels and reduces the effect of hot pixels.  So I would certainly not spend money on a guide scope system but, rather, get some wider aperture prime lenses with the money that it would cost.

I am sure others would disagree.

Enjoy the hobby.

Cheers,

Ian M   ( Mount review etc at   www.ianmorison.com)  There are other articles that may help you too.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM Apre <777sek@...> wrote:
Hello, I am just getting into astrophotography; however, I have been into space and photography for several years now. I am a teenager and I want to buy my first set of astrophotography gear; I already have a DSLR and 2 telephoto lenses (plus other wider lenses) which include a Tamron 70-200 f2.8 and a 70-300 f4 - f5.6. So I was looking for a mount and I came across the IEXOS-100 which fell within my budget and looked like a good option; however, I have heard people say negative things about and some say good things. What are your peoples thought on this mount for a beginner; I plan to put a guidescope on it as soon as possible. I dont mind spending time to learn it but is there any major drawbacks apart for the polar scope issue (and how bad is that issue really).
Thanks for your time,
S.

brian skinner

Hi, my experience using the iEXOS 100 over the last couple of years has been excellent. It is a learning curve for sure but by trial and error and with the excellent forum groups available with excellent help also from ES themselves you will be taking some very fine images very soon.
You will also see that I have just started to use the purpose designed iEXOS 100 Polar Scope again with trial and error, I am now managing 2minute exposures without trailing.
Hope you come to enjoy and appreciate the iEXOS 100, any further advise required please let me know, thank you, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100