EXOS-2 PMC-8 Autoguiding noobie question. #pmc-eight

Kopytko

Hi,

I have question regarding autoguiding equipment. I plan to buy this Bresser Guiding Kit: https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/BRESSER-Guiding-Kit-AR90-500.html
Will it fit to EXOS-2 PMC-8? As I use Linux, should I expect any problems with setup and drivers?

br
Przemek

Steve Siedentop

These cameras, as well as the new cameras from Meade and Orion, are made by ToupTek.  They list Linux in the specs.

The ToupTek cameras are also supported by INDI.

However, I unfortunately I don’t have any direct experience with this particular camera to definitively say it works with Linux.

-Steve

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Ming

ToupTek specs show they are supported by INDI, so the usual INDI/Kstar/PHD2 combo on Linux should work fine.

But honestly choosing this Bresser 90/500 for guiding is a bit unusual. If your imaging scope is between 80 and 120mm, a 50-60mm guidescope along with ASI120MM or ASI290MM would have been enough. This way you avoid putting unnecessary load onto the mount. If you plan to use long focal length scopes (e.g. SCT), an OAG will not only be more accurate but also less load compared to the Bresser.
--
Scopes: APM-LZOS 115/805, Skywatcher 200P Dob & APM 107/700 (grab'n'go)
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro w/ Rowan belt mod + ADM saddle & ES iEXOS-100 PMC8 w/ Fine AZ adjuster + ST2 tripod

Eyepieces: ES68 24mm, ES82 8.8mm, 14mm; TV Delos 4.5mm, Panoptic 35mm & 2.5x Powermate; BST 3.2mm, 5mm, 12mm & 25mm
Imaging: Canon EOS 600Da, Canon 135mm f/2L + 1.4x extender, TS 2" 0.79x FR, IDAS NB1 filter, Altair Starwave 50mm + ZWO ASI120MM Mini (guiding)

Software: BYE, PHD2, Astrotortilla, Stellarium, DSS, PIPP, AutoStakkert2, PS CC

Binoculars: Vixen Ascot ZR 8x42WP

Kopytko

Finally I went with ZWO 60mm f/4.6 Guiding Scope and ZWO ASI290 Mini. Everything went smooth with INDI/Kstar/PHD2 on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Linux. I even managed to get some first photos!
My current telescope is Bresser NT-203s. As you can see on the photos, coma corrector is still missing. And I still need to do some work with mounting everything properly ;)
... and autofocuser is obviously needed ;)