Goto issues #iEXOS-100

Apre

Hello, I have recently got a iEXOS-100. After star aligning the mount I selected andromeda and pressed the slew to object button and it began to move; however it slewed to the totally wrong place and i am not sure what I am doing wrong.
Also, how do can i make it track an object that i manually move to.
Finally can someone show me some good tutorials for the mount as I cant find many.

Thanks all,

Ian Morison

Hi S,
   Was the telescope in the polar home position (ie., pointing towards the North Celestial Pole)  before powering up the mount ?   I made the mistake of not doing this once when I had just got my mount.
If the mount is coupled to your tablet or laptop then after a manual move it will track at sidereal rate.

Cheers,

Ian

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 4:29 PM Apre <777sek@...> wrote:

Hello, I have recently got a iEXOS-100. After star aligning the mount I selected andromeda and pressed the slew to object button and it began to move; however it slewed to the totally wrong place and i am not sure what I am doing wrong.
Also, how do can i make it track an object that i manually move to.
Finally can someone show me some good tutorials for the mount as I cant find many.

Thanks all,

Apre

Yes, the telescope was in the polar home position before I powered up the telescope.
Also, my mount doesn't seem to track, I manually moved to M45 and there was lots if star trailing at 200mm on a aps-c dslr with 30s exposures.

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

Can you provide some more information step by step please to help better diagnosis the actually problem.

To leveling the tripod to how your trying to control the mount either with the tablet or computer.

Apre

Hello, I levelled the tripod using the built in bubble level and position it at polar home, however this is only rough as I dont have view of polaris so I set my mount to my latitude and just try and make sure both the dec and ra are at 0 like instructed in the supplied manual. After this, I power on my mount and connect my iPad to it; once I do that the motors begin to make a noise. I then press reset alignment and after that I press the 2 or 3 star alignment buttons. Once I have done this the mount moves to close to the target star, I use an app on my phone to confirm the star I am looking at is the correct one and then use the left/right/up/down buttons in the app to position the target star in the centre of my screen on my dslr. Once I have centered it I press enter and repeat on the other 1/2 stars. Finally, once the star alignment is complete I go to the catalog and select the object I want to go to and press the slew to object button.
Hope this a good enough explanation,
Thanks,

brian skinner

Hi Apre, sounds as though you are setting up correctly. A couple of possibilities, when you say the Polar home position presumably your mount is pointing North or close to it, also are you satisfied with your 12v supply?
Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

Jennifer Shelly

Apre:

Did you enter you location data in Explore Stars?  Latitude, longitude, and elevation.  If your coordinates have a negative value be sure to enter the - minus sign in front.  You also want make sure your date and time are correct as well.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Ian Morison

Clever thought Jennifer -  I did not think of that and it had thrown me  the first time I tried. the mount. The default latitude is  zero which the mount regards as  the southern hemisphere and tracked backwards!  (I once did an imaging session with the tracker set to South - lovely star trails!)
Cheers,

Ian

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:21 PM Jennifer Shelly via groups.io <drunkendogg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Apre:

Did you enter you location data in Explore Stars?  Latitude, longitude, and elevation.  If your coordinates have a negative value be sure to enter the - minus sign in front.  You also want make sure your date and time are correct as well.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Yorksman

Apre,

You are not alone! I have used the bubble level to polar align and a spirit level. They show different results so, something has to be improved on there. I align my polar alignment scope with the pole and can even get to see the north star through the narrow tube yet, when I slew to my first alignment star, it's way off. I adjust, set and move onto alignment star 2, have to adjust again but then when I slew to mt target, it's way off.

Except, 'way off' is too strong'. I looks a long way off but isn't in reality. Every time I attempt this, I get better, and more accurate. It is a scintific instrument and using it has to be learned. My wife who works in a lab told me of a newly graduated scientist who couldn't seethe cells under a microscope. Two days into the job he was despondent and he was convinced that he would never be able to use the microscope properly. Third day into the job and he had success.

There are many many new skills to learn here. Practice makes perfect. I haven't managed it yet but, I get a little bit more accurate every time.