Explore Stars app #ExploreStars

alandebrut

Hello,

I have an older iPad, due to its age I cannot download ExploreStars app
So I bought a new iPhone X with ios 14.

I get a message saying incompatible.

Please can you advise if the latest ios is compatible with ExploreStars?

And what if any is the course of action to be taken?

Many thanks

Alan--
Explore Scientific:
Telscope AR102, F6.5
Exos 2, PMC8

Celestron
SE8 plus mount
Starsense

Canon 80D

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service <Tbowman@...>

At this current time you cant use Phones to operate explorestars

Robert

You can remote desktop to explorestars on a PC with your phone. Microsoft has an iOS app for that in the app store (Remote Desktop Mobile). Setup with Win10 was easy.

Erik

Add my vote for an iPhone version, which I understand isn't yet available. But, can anyone comment on why not?

With an iPad version available, it would seem most of the work is done, but if not, what help is needed? What are the hurdles? Is one coming soon? Need any UI/UX help (not a programmer)?

There were nearly 47 million iPhones sold in Q4 2018 vs. less than 10m iPads (https://www.statista.com/statistics/253725/iphone-ipad-and-ipod-sales-comparison/), so unless there's a hidden reason why iPhones are being actively avoided, it would seem an opportunity to seriously grow the number of people who could quickly use the mounts like mine (iEXOS-100 PMC-Eight) without having to buy or setup a separate tablet or laptop. I know that everything takes effort, but what I'm not understanding is that I can't seem to find any information on any current efforts for an iPhone version, or reasons why it's taking so long, or if help is needed, what it might be? The latest info I've seen is here: https://explorescientific.com/pages/does-explorestars-or-the-pmc-eight-work-on-an-apple-iphone-or-ipad which is quite old at this point.

To be clear, I wouldn't necessarily expect the iPhone version to be 100% the same as the iPad or laptop versions. Ideally, it would at least:

- Align the scope
- Allow manual motion control (like a hand controller)
- Be able to choose from a catalog of sky objects
- Slew to that object
- Continuously track the object for viewing through the lens.

If that list is too much, even just having the ability to manually control the mount through an iPhone would make it 1000% more useable for a quick viewing. If a lightning-usb cable is needed, that's fine, but wifi would be great too. If you want a stretch goal, integrating a camera viewer into the phone would be really nice too.

I get that the community is aimed more at the advanced enthusiast to pro user, and that you can do a lot more things with a laptop for astrophotography, etc. I also get there are some telescopes that use an iphone, but they're generally really low level. But not having Explore Stars on the iPhone is actively excluding a HUGE number of people who just want to buy a scope and mount for a reasonable price, take it out in the yard when friends come over and be able to point it quickly at a planet for the kids (and adults) to see (and not have it fall out of view by the time someone else comes up to the lens).

Yes, I can pull out a laptop or tablet, but those are separate two handed or two-trip operations that take a decent amount of setup time and a place to put them near the scope that won't fall over or get stepped on. With an iPhone, you could get the scope outside, do a quick alignment, and be looking at stars or planets in a couple minutes, while running the whole thing with one hand on a device you can put in your pocket. If you want more customers, I can't think of a better way to lower the bar of entry and get people exploring the night sky.

Cheers,
Erik

PS - If an iPhone version is available (no pc required), and I just didn't see it, apologies, and please let me know:)

Wes Mcdonald

TLDR ;)

There is a lot that goes into maintaining a product line, improving the product line, creating new products in the line and supporting the user community of the product line.  All it takes to do it all is money and time and knowledgeable people.

I would agree with your desire to have an Iphone version, though your assertion of a HUGE market for telescope systems if only an iPhone controller were available is one I would need to see proof for.  This said, as Jerry mentioned in the recent post there are things coming along.

ES, from my view, is extraordinary in their access and support -- recognizing their deficiencies -- but knowing directly the effort that is put in.  As any company does, they have to set priorities.  Things get done, with the resources at hand, in the order they alone decide based upon their read of things like market need and customer acquisition and retention.

Don't worry.  Cool stuff is in the works.

Wes.

Erik

Fair enough;) The post had been building since I bought the mount and realized that iOS version didn't mean iPhone. My bad for not reading the details at the time:)

That said, unfortunately I don't think proof of an untapped market is easy to give, until it's already been captured by someone else.

As far as ES's priorities, they are of course theirs to determine, and they do a great job. I've found though, that it's difficult to see the forest for the trees when you're in the middle of it, so this is me waving a flag outside the forest. Take it for what it's worth.

From this perspective, when I was shopping for an upgrade to my 30-yr-old manual EQ mount and scope, there is a gap in the market for an easy-to-use EQ mount & scope that can be upgraded and used for astrophotography. The iEXOS-100 perfectly fits in that gap, which is why I bought it. It's just missing an easy hand controller so Joe Shmo (me) can also easily show it off to his wife and kids like the popular alt-az mounted ones can (but don't lend themselves to astrophotography).

As for money, time, and people, maybe a "help needed by ES" section for the community could get some idle hands to help out?

Cheers,
Erik

Wes Mcdonald

Erik

Let not your heart be troubled.  ES is not hanging around idle. 😀👍 anyone who purchased an iexos or for that matter any pmc8 is gonna be pleased. Patience is a virtue.   Practice yoga tree pose.   Tree pose teaches us patience.  As one of my old friends (hyper intelligent fellow in my view ) TTT.  Things Take
Time.