Topics

Newb issues after firmware, ExploreStars Data Base update #iEXOS-100 #Android

Joe Izen

It's been a while since I last used my iExos-100.  I just flashed the firmware using the latest 1A01C_10B_5.eeprom
It went just as described in the youtube video, including the success msg.

Then I pulled my microSD card from my FireOS tablet, and using my WIndows10 PC, I updated the ExploreStars database.  Everything appears nominal.

Reinserted, the microSD card in my tablet, hooked up to the PMC-8 network which shows a strong signal, and relaunched ExploreStars.  The GPS coordinates are entered and I see them in System Settings. App reports a Scope IP of 192.168.47.1.

The DB appears healthy because the app shows pictures of Messier objects.

I've changed the mount type to something wrong, then back to iExos-100, exited, and restarted.

My mount is powered. I see lights, and hear whirring. It just doesn't move when I try to do an alignment sequence, GoTo, or a manual move with arrows.  What am I missing?

While doing the firmware update, I poked around settings in the Configuration Manager. Could I have screwed up a comm setting?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Izen

ES Version: 1.9.20051.494 DB Ver: 2.3 [85643] FW Ver:1.00

is the banner across the top of my About page in ExploreStars

Wes Mcdonald

Joe

I presume you are using the Fire Tablet and Explorestars.  Is the mount position correctly displayed on the main screen?  It sounds like the tablet is not connected to the mount.

The Configuration manager settings are not really important to the mount, except for one thing.  You must leave the mount in UDP mode for EXplorestars.  If you changed it to TCP EXplorestars will not work.  Try connecting via the CM and ensure the mount is in UDP.

Wes.

Joe, are your clutches tight? The fact that you hear motors whirring is a clue. If you left the clutches loose, the RA and DEC shafts could spin without moving the mount. But if the clutches are tight, you hear motor rotation, and you still see no mount motion, there’s got to be a disconnect somewhere in the drive train. Check belts. With the EXOS2 I can see motor rotation through the little gap in the motor housing; Maybe the IExos-100 allows that, too. If so, you could check that the motors are really turning and not just whining a little.

Chuck Lewis

--
Scope: Explore Scientific AR-102, Astro-Tech AD72ED, Nikon kit lenses
Mounts: Exos2GT-PMC8, Homebrew barndoor tracker

Joe Izen

Wes,

7       EVT:503-Checking COM3.
EVT:505-Propeller chip version 1 found on COM3.
EVT:506-Loading RAM
EVT:507-Verifying RAM
EVT:508-Programming EEPROM
EVT:509-Verifying EEPROM
INF:451-Success.

6       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\joe\OneDrive\Documents\PMC8Firmware\1A01C_10B_5.eeprom"
5       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
4       Attempting to upload ROM: 1A01C_10B_5.eeprom
3       Firmware sucessfully unzipped
2       Unzipping firmware file.
1       Firmware files successfully downloaded to C:\Users\joe\OneDrive\Documents\PMC8Firmware\Firmware.zip
0       Downloading firmware

How do I verify mount is in UDP mode? Even though my Fire tablet says it is connected, CM reports the mount as NOT CONNECTED with Current Connection NONE.  This is through the USB cable.

In Connection Tab,
The find Current Connection button reports
10       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.

I see a communication Method under the Advanced tab with a UDP button. Should I connect my PC to the PMC-8 ad hoc network and push that button? Windows 10 often has problems connecting to ad hoc networks.  Thanks.

I presume you are using the Fire Tablet and Explorestars.  Is the mount position correctly displayed on the main screen?  It sounds like the tablet is not connected to the mount.

The Configuration manager settings are not really important to the mount, except for one thing.  You must leave the mount in UDP mode for EXplorestars.  If you changed it to TCP EXplorestars will not work.  Try connecting via the CM and ensure the mount is in UDP.

Wes.

Joe

Windows 10 will connect ok to the iexos 100 adhoc it seems.   Has issues with the exos2 tho.

So make sure tablet WiFi is off.  Disconnect iexos from pc.  Reboot iexos.  When it boots join the network.  Cm should show green pmc8 connection on bottom.  On cm connection tab set mount type and set comm port to comm3.  If comm3 is. It visible press refresh and the. Select comm 3.  Then try find button.

If it cannot find the mount go to the advanced tab.  Set the radio button to tcp.  Send ESGv command with button see do you get a response.  If not light up the udp radio button and try again.

Assuming you get an ESGv reply on tcp you can then send an esx! Command via tcp that will reboot the iexos in udp mode

If neither connect, try using the serial button and ESGv. If that works then send the esx via serial

Try this and get Back to me

Wes

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 1:41 PM Joe Izen <joe@...> wrote:
[...]

Connected W10 successfully. CM reports connect at bottom right of CM. COMM3 is selected. It is the only selection.  Find button still can't find the connection.

What next?
Joe

I presume you are using the Fire Tablet and Explorestars.  Is the mount position correctly displayed on the main screen?  It sounds like the tablet is not connected to the mount.

The Configuration manager settings are not really important to the mount, except for one thing.  You must leave the mount in UDP mode for EXplorestars.  If you changed it to TCP EXplorestars will not work.  Try connecting via the CM and ensure the mount is in UDP.

Wes.

Use advanced tab as I described in last note.  Sometimes it works despite cm not seeing connection.

Joe Izen

Wes,

he only way I can get Com3 set is to restart CM with the USB cable plugged in.  I can unplug after CM restart, but plugging the cable in after restarting CM w/o cable doesn’t make COM3 appear.

UDP and TCP failed. Finally got ESGV response on serial after a reboot of the bount with USB plugged into PC. Issued ESX. Then diconnected PC wifi, reconnected Fire, and mount is responding.

Disconnected Fire from mount. Reconnected PC to wifi, and now explorestars on PC can also control the mount.

Victory!

Sober reflections after hallway dance concluded. Is the upshot that everyone should carry a USB mini cable and a PC with them in the field, even if they use a tablet?  What caused this problem?  The last time I used my mount was during the summer, and there was no problem with wifi control.  It’s only recent that I even own a PC. How would a Mac user fix the settings without a PC, if it is the wifi udp setting which is bad?

Joe

On Dec 7, 2020, at 12:48 PM, Wes Mcdonald via groups.io <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

The pmc stays in WiFi until changed.  My guess is that when you were fooling with the cm originally you changed the thing to serial.

Maybe one day this will be easier to know and change.

Glad you got it.  It had to be one of the three ways. I forgot to mention serial!