#iEXOS-100 Mount connection issues!!!! #iEXOS-100

Parag Modi

Hello all,

I was hoping to do some imaging tonight for the first time using APT.  I had a reasonable polar alignment done during the day time.  I started setting things up just before dark and was able to get my PC laptop connected to the mount via Wi-Fi ASCOM and 6.5 SP1 platform in APT.  I had my camera connected to the laptop with wired connection.  I then proceeded with focusing and got good focus.  But the problem started then!  I lost connection to the mount during my power down of the mount and I HAVEN"T BEEN ABLE to connect since then!  I go to the the Configuration Manager and I see my Wi-Fi status Green but connection status as Unknown.  I have tried several things in configuration manager such as "Find it", status request via UDP, status request via TCP but they all fail!  Before moving to the laptop and APT, I was able to connect to mount using a tablet and Explorestar but tonight I am unable to do so!  I have restarted the mount, laptop and tablet several times but still can't connect!

Can someone help urgently?  I have three days of good weather before moon phase starts becoming a factor.
--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Martin Eastburn

Status green might simply mean I see it and it is in good condition, not connected due to password to the site is needed.
Does that on my phone. House is automatic, office - metal building - green no connection until log in.

Martin

On 12/15/2020 9:30 PM, Parag Modi wrote:
[...]

Martin,

I checked the Wi-Fi connection on my PC and it showed it was connected to PMC with no internet.  Same thing with my Android tablet, it showed it was connected to PMC Wi-Fi in the settings.
--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Bear40

I had a similar experience.  It turned out that I had to hardwire using a serial connection to change it back to wireless using the manager.  Hope this helps.
--
Bear40 New to astronomy

Wes Mcdonald

Parag
Do you have a usb-serial cable?

If so connect it to the pmc8 and the pc

Go to the advanced tab of the configuration manager.  Set the radio button to serial.  See if you can push out an ESGv! Command .  If so send an ESX! Command to put the pmc8 back into WiFi.

Parag Modi

Wes,

Thank you, I made a little bit of progress.  Attached serial cable (8 pin USB A to Mini B), installed FTDI driver.  Configuration manager now showed COM3.  After that went to advanced tab, selected serial and sent ESGv!.  Got a response back.  Sent ESX! successfully. Clicked the UDP button and sent EGSv! again it failed.  Tried TCP with the same results.  Went back to serial EGSv! worked.  Went to connection tab and hit find and got message saying "Mount connected to COM3, Note: It does not mean mount is connected via serial"

What next?

Any reason why this would happen when at the beginning of my session I was connected to ASCOM wireless (TCP) just fine?

--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Wes Mcdonald

Parag

Each time you send an ESX! The pc WiFi must be reconnected.   Also you will need to be in udp mode to use explorestars.  Tcp is fine for ascom.   You can switch these modes by the ESY! Command

But in general get your cm connected to both WiFi and serial as you have done.  Then use the connection tab to set things up correctly for the use you want.

Remember the iexos can only talk udp or tcp, one at a time.

Parag Modi

Wes,

Thank you again, I'll try it tomorrow night.  One more question, what if I wanted to just use serial cable for ASCOM?  I know ASCOM driver supports serial but I was unable to get my ASCOM connected over serial either.  I'm also thinking of just reflashing the firmware over the serial link tomorrow to see if somehow firmware got corrupted.

--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Wes Mcdonald

Parag

It’s fine to reflash the firmware.  Probably not corrupted but it’s possible I guess.

Ascom serial is the recommended way to run the thing.  You can flash independent of the communication mode, just connect things and use the configuration manager to load the firmware from the internet and tell it to program the unit.    Once loaded you will want then use the configuration manager to set the communication mode to serial.

You will need to configure the ascom driver to use the serial comms.

Remember that only poth hub connected to the driver.  All other applications are told to connect to the poth hub.

But if you are now working in administrator mode there is nothing wrong with your pmc8.  Windows is just a mess.  I am sure there have been some posts that recommend administrator mode.   I have no idea what mode my laptop is in but it works fine with the mount.  So has my bootcamped Mac mini.

Also I believe you said the iPad connected and worked fine.  This indicates your firmware is not the problem

One final thing.   I had a heck of a time getting my pc to connect to my iexos, even though the iexos connected well to the iPad and to an android device.  But this is not what many report and was some kind of an anomaly.  Presently it seems to connect and operate well in WiFi.

You just have to love windows.

Parag

Ignore the bit about administrator.   That was Luiz that had that problem.  You might want to ignore other bits too. Too many threads.

Parag Modi

Wes,

I wanted to thank you for all your help.  I got everything connecting and communicating with APT.  This allowed me to take my first humble image on IEXOS-100.  30 subframes at 25 seconds each with my telephoto set to mere 50mm.  I'm beginning to get hooked to this hobby, now I have to wait till waning moon in January to get more.
--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Wes Mcdonald

Parag

Great start!  Let the addiction begin!

Wes.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 3:02 PM Parag Modi <pmodi@...> wrote:
Wes,

I wanted to thank you for all your help.  I got everything connecting and communicating with APT.  This allowed me to take my first humble image on IEXOS-100.  30 subframes at 25 seconds each with my telephoto set to mere 50mm.  I'm beginning to get hooked to this hobby, now I have to wait till waning moon in January to get more.
--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

Dave Cherry

Well done, I remember the first time I got a shot of the Orion nebula . Warning....  it gets addictive from here!
Cheers!
Dave C
UK

--
Scopes: Sky Watcher 200PDS, Skywatcher 72ED
Mount: Explore Scientific PMC8 EXO2