Control the mount with a Joystick or Cellphone #iEXOS-100 #app

Luiz Sanches

Hello
I want to control the mount iExus 100 with a controler, that can be a Joystick or Cellphone.
I dont want to use the Explore Stars on Cellphone, because I want to Slew to a target with other aplication using TCP or Serial on computer, and after that make a fine ajustments with the joystick or the cellphone. With the computer, I can make the fine ajustments, but I want to make this ajustments with a cellphone or Joystick when I am looking on the finder. Do you know other aplication on Cellphone?

I saw that I can use joystick with Kstars, but I am not using Indi drivers (windows is working better). Or I can use EQMod, but I dont know how to connect the mount in the EQMod. I caught Tutorial learning how to connect, but the Ascom driver of the mount don't appear. Look the images of the configuration of EQMod:

Thank you for the help!

Yorksman

It is possible to connect to the iexos-100 with serial cable and ascom and use the ascom device hub and then configure cartes du ciel to work with the ascom device hub. I am told that if ascom is on a laptop, most games controllers and some joysticks can be used rather than using the device hub control in ascom. I am expecting delivery of one and will be happy to report if it works. It does seem to be more comfortable if you can look through the scope whilst holding a controlling device and with keys, one doesn't have to take one's eyes away from the finderscope for fine adjustment.

Otherise, I have used explorstars and a 10" tablet but, whilst initially thinking this was awkward, I started to use a high pedestal table immediately next to the mount on which I could place the tablet. It has to be high enough for you not to have stoop to see it and close enough for you not to have to walk away from the mount. I think a games controller will be better, but if not, a high pedestal table is very comfortable.

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz

Eqmod won’t work.

If you are running ascom on a pc you can control the mount with your cell phone using sky safari pro.  If you search the forum for my posts on sky safari you can find how.  Also I gave a video presentation on the open goto web cast on week 10-20 or somewhere around there.

You load WiFiScope which is an app you can google, onto your PC.  Load SkySafari Pro on your phone.  The instructions for WiFiScope tell you how to connect everything.  What happens is the phone connected to your home wifi.  The PC connects to your home wifi.  The PC is connected to the PMC8 via serial/ascom.  Skysafari is set up to send data to wifiscope over the home internet.  Wifiscope catches commands sent from Skysafari and forwards them to the ascom hub.  The trick is to set SkySafari to the Meade Classic as a scope.  It sends Meade commands to wifiscope which translates them into Ascom calls to poth.

This all works great.  Skysafari can then be used as a hand controller.  It has Up, down, left, right buttons.  It also has a planetarium and goto buttons.  it has a scope position display, and it can overlay your camera field of view.

It's great.

Now if you are in the field you need to have a wifi network router to make this work.  I use an old wifi router I had laying around.  It puts up a little network to which all my stuff joins.  Whole thing runs on battery.  No sweat.

Wes.

Yorksman

If you use a PC you can use SkySafari on your phone.

But there is another option.  ASCOMPAD is an application that allows you to use a hand controller.  You can search the forum for messages about it.  It works pretty well.  I got it going but don't use it in favor of skysafari on the phone.  Many others have, complete with bluetooth version of the controller I believe.  Perhaps they can chime in to help you get setup.

Wes.

If you want to use a gamepad with the ASCOM driver, use ASCOMPAD. People get confused because this is an EQMOD project but ASCOMPAD works with any ASCOM mount. If you search this forum for ASCOMPAD you should find several messages about it and other members that use ASCOMPAD with their gamepad controller will chime in also.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Luiz Sanches

Thank you Jerry, thats what I was looking for. I searshed for a tutorial in the forum and could use the Joystick. But, only works with the POTH? I prefer Device Hub. With it, the NESW dont worked, only with POTH. I configured the Preset Slew Rate in setup. Maybe I need a diferente preset expecific for Device Hub, or, simply dont work?

Yorksman and Wes, thank you.