How to get Iexos 100 to work with Stellarium #iEXOS-100

Bear40

I connected to wifi and the ascom driver is working.  I can't figure out to how to get stellarium to work with the mount selected ASCOM and the PMC-eight driver and turned on the remote control. .  I can get it to connect but then it sends me and error that the mount is parked.  On the ascom panel the mount is unparked.  I found an post on the explorer scientific sigh that sent me to Stellariumscope program but that site says I should not need it.  I downloaded it but it could not run as it is 32 bit program and sent me an error message.  An advice would be helpful.  Thanks in advance.
--
Bear40 New to astronomy

James

Are you using POTH or the newer ASCOM remote?

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT, iEXOS-100, Celestron AVX
Scope: Explore Scientific AR102, AR152, FirstLight 152mm Mak-Cassegrain, William Optics SpaceCat 51, Sky-Watcher Evostar ED APO 72mm

Patrick Maher

Make sure you have the latest version of Stellarium.  Make sure you have the latest version of ASCOM Platform.  Make sure you change your mount configuration to Serial and that you have the appropriate cable connected.

While downloading and installing the latest ASCOM Platform, check the boxes to also install POTH.  If I remember correctly, Device Hub still does not work correctly with our mounts but I could be wrong on this.  They may have fixed the issue by now.  Honestly, I haven't checked in a few months.  I do know, however, that POTH does work.

One other thing.  If the only software you will be using is Stellarium, then you can connect directly to Stellarium directly (no POTH, no Device Hub) by selecting ASCOM as how to connect in Stellarium.

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Yorksman

I can connect my iexos-100 to Device Hub with Ascom 6.5 but when I try to connect Stellarium through device hub, it connects but doesn't slew. I have been told that it is a bug in the newest version of Stellarium when using the newsest version of the Ascom Platform. I can imagine this being true because if I use Cartes du Ciel, it all works perfectly. Although the new version of Stellarium says that you don't need Stellariumscope, I too was told that it would work. I tried it and it did. So, there are two work arounds, either use Cartes du Ciel or add in Stellariumscope and you get the same sort of thing. In the meantime, the simplicity of Explorestars is growing on me.

Wes Mcdonald

Bear

Stellarium has been reported to have an issue with the ascom 6.5.  Sounds like you should stick with 6.4 or maybe 6.5 but using Poth.   Works fine with 6.4

Bear40

On Sat, Jan 23, 2021 at 03:25 PM, James wrote:

Mounts: Explore Scientific EXOS II GT, iEXOS-100, Celestron AVX
I am using the newer ASCOM Hub

--
Bear40 New to astronomy

Bear40

I can get Cartes du Ciel to work a PHD 2 works as I am setting up to guide my mount.  I will look for the older ASCOM on their site.  I did not see a POTH option when I downloaded it. Thanks for all the suggestions   I have been using Stellarium with my dob and a push to setup so was hoping to use it but Cartes du Ciel looks like a good option.
--
Bear40 New to astronomy

Yorksman

Glad you got it working with CdC. Not as pretty as Stellarium but it does the same job. POTH was in Ascom Platform 6.4. In Ascom Platform 6.5 it was replaced by Device Hub.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 05:01 AM, Yorksman wrote:
Glad you got it working with CdC. Not as pretty as Stellarium but it does the same job. POTH was in Ascom Platform 6.4. In Ascom Platform 6.5 it was replaced by Device Hub.
POTH is available to select when installing ASCOM Platform 6.5 you have to manually select it prior to running the installation. You can always run the installation program again to install it later if you didn't do it the first time.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Patrick Maher

You can install POTH when installing ASCOM 6.5.  You won't find it anywhere else.  You just need to select the option to install it within the installer.  POTH works just fine with the current version of Stellarium.  Just run the installer again from your downloads and be careful to choose POTH as one of the installed utilities.

I can't remember for sure at the moment because it has been a few months since the clouds rolled in where I am located (plus it is too cold out there for me to be lingering with a telescope) but I seem to remember that my iEXOS-100 worked just fine by also connecting Stellarium directly to the mount (no POTH, no Device Hub) by choosing "ASCOM Telescope" in Stellarium.  Of course, if you want to run multiple programs using the same PMC-8 driver, then you will need to use a hub...  either POTH or Device Hub.

Patrick
--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Patrick Maher

Haha...   Jerry and I were responding at the same time so, sorry for the duplication of info!

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Yorksman

Oh thanks for that. I had looked for it on the Ascom site. I'll give that a try.

Yorksman

Thanks. Not a problem.