Topics

Exos II Mount cannot connect after running pmc8.exe #EXOS2

Harry J Jr

I have been using my Exos II mount with Explore Stars on the Ipad with no issues; recently acquired a new windows laptop and started the process for switching to serial mode for use with the ASIAIR pro. I read the Windows 10 issue, which I had, so I used the BAT file uploaded by Wes McDonald to switch the PC to a Static IP. Subsequently ran windows version of Explore Stars successfully, prior to starting the switch to using the serial port on PMC8. After connecting USB to serial FDTI cable to mount and running the PMC8 utility my mount will no longer connect. Initially the PMC8 utility indicated the mount was connected via com0; but when I ran test it said there was no connection; note that no serial ports show up in the settings screen. Although the PMC8 wifi is still active and I can connect to PMC-eight wifi on my PC or the Ipad, Explore stars will no longer connect with the mount in Windows or IOS. Please advise, thanks, Harry

Harry J Jr

Problem solved! After reviewing a similar issue on a previous post, I followed guidance from Wes, loaded ftdi driver on windows 10 PC, connected mount and pc, booted pmc8, connected pmc8 wifi, used CM to confirm connection to serial, updated pmc8 firmware, inverted FTDI chip (all on windows laptop), connected serial/usb cable to PMC8 and asiair pro, connected to ES exos2 mount in asiair app on iPad, synch to mount and confirmed that I could slew the mount from within asiair app; whew! Now maybe I’ll get this new system under some clear skies on the eastern shore of MD.

Dino Monaco

Great job in getting the PMC8 to work w the ASIAR Pro. I’m waiting for my EXOS2 mount and plan to do the exact set up.
Hopefully I’ll be able to follow these instructions and make it easy peesy when it’s my turn.
Question: while I’m waiting for the mount to arrive, what are all the apps &/or softwares that I need to download in my laptop.

Regards,

Dino

--
Dino Monaco

Harry

👍👍
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight
Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Affinity Photo, Lightroom,  SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500
Misc: ES USB Power Bank, Rigel QuikFinder, 0.8x Focal Reducer
Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

Harry J Jr

Hi Dino, I used the Exos II on an IPad so my first version of Explore Stars was the IOS version; if using a PC then you can download the Windows version and the corresponding database. ExploreStars is only used with a WiFi connection to PMC8; but in my mind it was a good starting point to get to know the mount. The ASIAIR didn’t even exist when I got started. Of course to switch to serial mode you will need an FDTI usb/serial cable, and a windows PC to run the ES configuration manager (CM). CM is available at ES website. For the process to use the exos II with asiair there is a PDF guidance document in the files section at this web site (attached) however using that with the recommended software to switch to serial on the PMC8 caused me issues, so I used the CM instead, after installing the windows driver from parallax for the FDTI serial cable (following guidance from Wes). Then you will need another windows program to invert the FDTI serial cable RS232 signal, which is mentioned in the guidance document I previously referenced (attached). Also you may need to update pmc8 firmware, which is done through the CM. In any event I suggest using ExploreStars over the PMC8 wifi with your new mount initially for some visual observing just to get started. There is an asiair pro users group on Facebook that I suggest you join once you start using the asiair, which I soon hope to use on a regular basis! Good luck, just stick with it! Harry

Dino Monaco

Thanks for the attachment  Harry. Much appreciated

On Jan 28, 2021, at 4:51 PM, Harry J Jr <hjpayne48@...> wrote:

[...]
<iExos-100 EXOS2 G11 PMC-Eight and AsiAir - Getting Started Guide - September 12, 2020.pdf>

--
Dino Monaco

Wes Mcdonald

Dino

Also there are many who are using the asi air.  They post and reply on the applications subgroup.  So if you get stuck with the asi air post there.  Those guys know what to do.  The rest of us maybe not so much... and that is where posts for non pmc8 should go anyhow.

Of course you can post questions about the pmc8 on any of the other subgroups.

Also if you want to load new firmware you don’t have to switch the pmc8 to serial.  But you do need the ftdi usb to serial and the driver.  Then you c an just use the CM directly to load firmware and go from there.