Topics

Retro-fit kit?

Ian Taylor

Hello - is it possible to buy a retro-fit kit so I can install the PMC-Eight system myself on an existing Losmandy G11 mount that I own (it is a Digital Drive version).
I have recently serviced the mount (regreased it, installed new worm block bearings, installing a new high precision worm and making sure everything is aligned) and now the periodic error is around +/-5", without PEC.

It is difficult to find a price for the kit only - or are they some mechanical changes made to the mount itself too (I imagine the motors would be different but they are easy to change).

Thanks

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 08:49 AM, <robert.ian.taylor@...> wrote:
Hello - is it possible to buy a retro-fit kit so I can install the PMC-Eight system myself on an existing Losmandy G11 mount that I own (it is a Digital Drive version).
I have recently serviced the mount (regreased it, installed new worm block bearings, installing a new high precision worm and making sure everything is aligned) and now the periodic error is around +/-5", without PEC.

It is difficult to find a price for the kit only - or are they some mechanical changes made to the mount itself too (I imagine the motors would be different but they are easy to change).

Thanks
Hi Robert, thanks for your interest in the PMC-Eight G11 upgrade. We offer an upgrade kit that not only installs the PMC-Eight motor drive system but also includes some upgrades to the G11; Also in order to be able to guarantee performance the price includes doing the upgrade at our location in Arkansas. We don't offer the upgrade as a DIY kit. Here is the link to the product on our website:

Explore Scientific / Losmandy G-11 UPGRADE with Explore Scientific PMC — Explore Scientific LLC (explorescientificusa.com)

Thanks again for your interest.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Ian Taylor

Thanks for the reply. I am based in the UK and it would be prohibitively expensive to send it to the US. If you had a retro-fit kit that people could install themselves I’m sure you would sell a lot more units. Many G11 owners in Europe do their own servicing on their mounts (again because very few will send these back to Losmandy) and would potentially be capable of installing this upgrade.

On Sat, Jan 30, 2021 at 12:16 PM, <robert.ian.taylor@...> wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am based in the UK and it would be prohibitively expensive to send it to the US. If you had a retro-fit kit that people could install themselves I’m sure you would sell a lot more units. Many G11 owners in Europe do their own servicing on their mounts (again because very few will send these back to Losmandy) and would potentially be capable of installing this upgrade.
Hi Robert,

I fully understand the need for a DIY upgrade kit but unfortunately we need to be able to guarantee that there isn't something that is hidden to the user that might cause the system to fail even with a proper installation This is why we have the need for our checkout process and installation at our site. We may be able to work with our sister company Bresser Germany to install the kit and verify proper operation for you, it would be much easier to ship your mount to Germany for a retrofit. Let me know if you are interested in that path.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data