Amazon Fire OS issues with Goto DB

Jake Carroll

Has anyone been able to get a Fire OS tablet to work successfully? I keep getting the error shown attached when launching the app. I have installed the files to the external microsd card, verified permissions, etc. I have also tried installing the app from the Amazon store and installing via the direct link for android version. Nothing I have tried works.
This is on a brand new Amazon Fire 8HD plus running the latest Fire OS. I installed the files onto the external microSD card using a macbook pro running Windows 10 via bootcamp. I don’t see a way to rearrange the sequence of the files on the root folder of the SD card, no matter what order I add them in the Images folder appears first, sql file second. That may just be my list view is alphabetical of course. But I have tried copying them in order and that didn’t make a difference.
Appreciate any help or guidance so I can start using my mount.

Jake Carroll

here is a higher quality image of the error

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

It looks like the database isnt being loaded in the picture files.

here is a step by step guide that should help.

Installation: (to install updates, start with step 5)

  1. Download the Database and Images: ExploreStars.zip 90 MB (DB 2.3[85643])
  2. Unzip and install the files to your MicroSD card. The resulting file structure should look like this:
  3. Install the MicroSD card in your Android tablet
  4. Under Settings/APPS/ExploreStars grant Permissions for External Storage and Location.
  5. Using a web browser on your Android, navigate to this webpage and download the APK file: ES_Android.1.16.zip 16 MB (8/5/2019 v.1.3.19217.453 DB 2.3[85643]
  6. Once the file is downloaded, open the file/install the App
  7. The first time you run the App, you will need to initialize the settings:
    1. Open the Settings screen from the Menu
    2. Tap Load GPS Coordinates
    3. To make sure that the correct Mount info is loaded, select a Scope Type DIFFERENT from your actual mount
    4. Tap the Home button to load the settings.
    5. Return to the Settings screen, select the correct Scope Type from the list, and tap the Home button again to save the settings.
    6. Close the App
  8. Connect to the PMC-Eight network and restart ExploreStars
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Tyler Bowman - Explore Scientific Customer Service

also what version of ANDROID are you running.
--

1458310636860_logo.png

Tyler Bowman - Customer Service

Office   +1(866) 252-3811 Ext: 516

Fax        +1(479) 717-2898

Harry

Hi Jake, Yes, I was able to use my Fire HD tablet very successfully with ExploreStars. It is a little finicky to set up, but when completed, worked well. I also am a Mac User. I also loaded ExploreStars on my iPad, and this works even better, as the entire database/files all load together from the App Store. However, I have since converted my mount using a serial connection, and no longer use ExploreStars or the Fire Tablet. I see Tyler has sent you some great info to get you going.

Regards, Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight
Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Affinity Photo, SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500 (UV/IR Mod)
Misc: ES USB Power Bank

Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

Jake Carroll

I have tried following the step-by-step instructions for Android, with no luck. Including the step of going to the download link and installing the android app after installing the files on the external card (including granting it permissions before launching)

My fire hd 8 plus tablet is running Fire OS 7.3.1.8

On Apr 12, 2021, at 1:38 PM, Harry via groups.io <flykai1@...> wrote:

[...]

After more futzing around with it, I did finally manage to get it to work. It required first formatting the card from the fire tablet, ejecting it, then adding the files from my laptop running windows.