Lost control of declination with new firmware #UniversalFirmware

Jennifer Shelly

Wes:

The log file ending in 077210 was indeed using the new ASCOM driver and apparently the new FW.
CM v1.0.4 did not install the old FW (I think I recall reading that it was saving to ROM and not EEPROM, so that explains that).

Before I realized the new FW was still installed...I uninstalled the new driver and installed the old driver and the same behavior exists.
Unresponsive/delay time is around 53 seconds with the old driver and new FW.  Log file ending in 154200.

Here is the kicker....I COULD NOT REPLICATE the behavior using the old FW and the old ASCOM driver. Very interesting.
Log file attached ending in 043460.

As a sanity check...I powered off the iExos-100, turned it back on, opened CM 1.0.3, and verified the FW was still the old FW.
Did the same for the ASCOM driver.  Screen shots attached.

Hopefully all of my blunders will help to get to the bottom of this once and for all. ;(
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Jennifer Shelly

Here it is
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Jennifer Shelly

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 09:01 PM, Luiz Sanches wrote:
Luiz seemed to experience this problem with the old firmware, trying to get him to clarify.  If so this is puzzling even more.
I just confirmed this behavior exists on the old FW for iExos-100 version 1A01C_10B_5.eeprom.
The average non-responsive/delay was 47 seconds.  Log file attached.

--

To clarify this is the install package I used https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/files/PMC-Eight%2020A01%20Firmware%20Installation%20Kit%202021-04-24.zip
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Jennifer Shelly

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 08:39 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Jennifer:

Did you load the very latest firmware put out there?

Also your video would not load, said it was a private video.  But I can see from your logs the DEC axis is not responding to the slew commands sometimes.  The axis receives the command, and the command response from the mount is correct but the motor counts are not incrementing.  This is indeed the same issue I saw in Luiz's log file (I was examining your POTH only file).  Something is amiss.

There was a known bug in the dec motor driver which the last updated release fixed.  But honestly it doesn't look like this when one views the log.  This might be something else.

I know you have a G11.  Are you seeing this in the G11?  I have not, nor did I note it in the EXOS2.  But then again I use computer control and no keypad pressing other than to check for binding after balancing the G11.  PRobably never use it on the Exos2.

Luiz seemed to experience this problem with the old firmware, trying to get him to clarify.  If so this is puzzling even more.

Wes.

 Wes:

Try the video again.  I just published for the public.
Yes, I installed the latest firmware published which I believe was dated 04/24/2021.
I have not been able to use my G-11 due to to neck injury, so unfortunately I cannot provide input there.
Back to the iExos-100, another issue not shown on the video is that sometimes after I unpark, select a target in Stellarium, press the space bar to center and lock, press Cntrl + 1 to slew nothing happens.

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

The version you mentioned is the latest.   I believe your posts where this was happening date back to the old 9t17 firmware which the new releases replace.

Please see previous post by me requesting full run down on your issue.

Trying to get to the bottom of this.

Luiz Sanches

Luiz seemed to experience this problem with the old firmware, trying to get him to clarify.  If so this is puzzling even more.
What is the  last firmware? I am using 2021.04.13

Wes Mcdonald

[...]

Log files attached.  The larger file is with all of my software connected.  The smaller file is just POTH connected.  Hopefully this will provide some insight.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Jennifer Shelly

Wes/Jerry:

It seems I still have the same problem that Luiz has that I thought I resolved.  I created a 20 min video of the behavior of my iExos-100 mount after the FW update and driver update.  Unfortunately, I did not have "trace" enabled on the Misc tab of the ASCOM driver.  I will go through the steps again and upload a log file.

The link to the YouTube video is https://youtu.be/fhBOTnRAcSw.  At the end of the video I do open up the UFCT and show the splash info for the FW, open the ASCOM driver and show the settings and version, open Stellarium Telescope Control and Remote Sync settings, StellariumScope settings, and NINA telescope settings.  Sorry if that was overkill, but maybe you will see something simple that could possibly solve this issue.

Below is a summary I included in the YouTube description of the issue and software I am using.

Exos-100 Behavior with new FW & ASCOM driver
N & S directions no problem
E & W directions work at first then unresponsive/delayed

Software used:
ASCOM Platform 6.5 SP 1
POTH hub
Stellarium Scope
Stellarium 0.21.0
PHD 2.69dev4
NINA 1.11 nightly #076
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Liuz:

We need to rewind and start over.  Your thread listing is very long, and discusses disconnect.  This discussion began long before the latest update firmware.  This is worth noting.  Unless the present issues are different from those you linked to, one can surmise the issue lies somewhere in your particular situation/hardware (computer, cables, PMC8).  If the problem has persisted from the old firmware then you must have a hardware problem (my guess would be a cable).

Please add a signature to your account so we can see your equipment types.

1.  What is your PMC8 mount, an iexos 100 or an exos2?  The tread implies an iexos.

2.  If the issues in the thread are different than yours, please restate the exact issue.

Wes.

Andreas

Jennifer Shelly

Luiz:

That is exactly what I experienced and I did not have an ST-4 cable plugged in.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Luiz Sanches

When this log was made, what app were you using to control the mount, and what hub did you use?
I ws using POTH, as you recomend (but the old problem that I mentioned in the post https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/iexos_100_disconecting_from/78243484?p=Created,,,20,1,20,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,20,78243484&jump=1 never was fixed in POTH or Device Hub, even with the upgrade, only on Generic Hub this mentioned problem dont appear, reason why I all days use Generic Hub)
By any chance do you have your guide camera connected to the mount via the ST4 cable? If this is the case then that is what is causing the problem. The camera signal is being interpreted by the PMC-Eight as driving your mount West and canceling out the motion to the East.
I will try this in the next observing night.
Do you have your Sidereal Rate Fraction (SRF) set to 100 in the ASCOM driver also by any chance?
I never change.

Luiz Sanches

When this log was made, what app were you using to control the mount, and what hub did you use?
For control RA and DEC, APT and Cartes Du Ciel or few times, Device Hub. (I prefer Generic Hub than POTH or Device Hub, and, with the new Upgrade, the arrows of Cartes Du Ciel don't work with Device Hub )
Was "continuous track with loss of comms" turned on?
Yes
Do you have an ST4 cable from your guide camera plugged in?
No, I use PHD 2 with a computer.

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Interesting.  When this log was made, what app were you using to control the mount, and what hub did you use?  Was "continuous track with loss of comms" turned on?  You did not lose comms though.  I honestly don't know what could cause this.
Hi Luiz,

Wes has caught me up on your interesting problem. We have been discussing different failure modes that could cause the motor not to move even when issuing the ESTr commands as shown in the log. We came to the conclusion that your problem was impacting the motor driver portion of the firmware and is independent of the command. The driver not only handles changes to motor speed from commands, but also handles changes that come in via the legacy ST4 port which is via the PMC-Eight hardware. By any chance do you have your guide camera connected to the mount via the ST4 cable? If this is the case then that is what is causing the problem. The camera signal is being interpreted by the PMC-Eight as driving your mount West and canceling out the motion to the East. Do you have your Sidereal Rate Fraction (SRF) set to 100 in the ASCOM driver also by any chance?

We will have to go back and consider other failures if you are not using the ST4 cable between your camera and the PMC-Eight.

Thanks, looking forward to your reply.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Luiz:

Jerry and I have discussed this.  We believe your ST4 port  is a possible reason for this lack of response in the RA axis.  Is your Sidereal rate fraction set to 1 in the driver?  Do you have an ST4 cable from your guide camera plugged in?  In any event, please use the UFCT to disable ST4 guiding and see if the issue goes away.

Wes.

Luiz:

Well the log is helpful.  It does appear that the mount began refusing to track upon command at 10:38:13 and continued to refuse until 10:38:49.  That is a 36 second drop out.  The log indicates the tracking rate command being issued over and over again , the pmc8 responding with the correct response, but the reported position of the mount in RA was not changing.  As for the DEC axis, it seems it responded correctly at all times.  This is from analysis of the log you pointed out had the problem at 10:43.   Interesting.  When this log was made, what app were you using to control the mount, and what hub did you use?  Was "continuous track with loss of comms" turned on?  You did not lose comms though.  I honestly don't know what could cause this.

Luiz Sanches

The Log when the problem happened is ASCOM.ES_PMC8.1031.363060 at 10:43

Luiz Sanches

And the Logs