Pulse guiding settings. #EXOS2 #ASCOM

Thanks, Jennifer!

Yes, yes it is an adventure, and this is just a simple F5!  I did have a small dob, a couple of decades ago, but this is a different world.

There was some clear sky here a few weeks ago, just enough to give me an idea of how much trouble I was in.  :-))

Collimation, plus coma corrector spacing, plus an edge that needed masking, etc...  I did get Menard's book, and have made enough progress indoors that I'm ready for another outdoor session, if the skies here ever clear.

- Bob

On Mon, May 3, 2021, at 09:25, Jennifer Shelly via groups.io wrote:
Bob:

Will this be your first Newtonian?  If so, you have a new adventure to embark on....collimation which can be challenging at times.  I highly recommend reading anything written by Vic Menard who is the king of collimating Newtonians.  Cat’s Eye collimation tools are a good investment as well.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Jennifer Shelly

[...]

Bob

It’s gonna be great. In the end it’s only gonna have more sail area to deal with.  The rest is incidental to the mounts performance in my view

Wes,

Thanks!  No, the FL is almost the same, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My venerable SV 102EDT is 621mm (without reducer), and the 130P-DS is 650mm, with a 1.0 coma corrector, so almost the same on that score.  I may pick up a bit of resolution, but that's all.

I know... why change if the FL is the same and the resolution will be close?  Color.  The EDT's color correction is excellent for a non-APO, but it ain't an APO, and when I bought it an L-Extreme for nebula work, that was that.  Time for better color convergence.  :-))

The folks on the other side of the pond are pretty fond of the 130P-DS for imaging, and even with a good coma corrector, it's still much less expensive than a good APO, so I shipped one in, and here I am, and we'll see how this works out.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Wes Mcdonald

Bob
What is new is that the dec surf is actually real now.  But i am not sure phd actually can use different values.  Suggest you stick with same values

In my view the delta mass will have minimal effect on the performance.  Could be wrong but you will l ow pretty soon.

Focal length difference and plate scale delta most important.  The exos 2 as you k ow is gonna guide as it does.  This may not be adequate if your fl got longer

Jerry and Wes,

Just wondering if you have any advice re: the driver's Pulse Guiding tab, post-upgrade.
I had been getting along pretty well with 75/75/75 (RA SRF/ DEC SRF / Min Pulse), prior to the upgrade, and with my venerable 102EDT.

But two things have changed:
- Firmware and driver enhancements
- My scope.  I am in the process of setting up a SW 130P-DS newtonian for imaging.  The new scope is only about 24" long, similar to the 102, but it sits higher and heavier.  The refractor checked in at about 13.5 lb all dressed, and the newt will probably end up over 15 lbs by the time I'm done tinkering with it.  So more mass, more moment arm, but still very luggable.

I haven't reviewed my pulse guiding settings in what must be nearly a couple of years, and this seems like a good time to revisit.  Clear skies have been very scarce here, haven't been able to get out, beyond the little I was able to manage for the beta, so for now this is an 'indoor' inquiry.  :-))

Thoughts?

- Bob