How do I install the latest firmware? iEXOS-100 #iEXOS-100 #FIRMWARE #ConfigManager

Euan Milne

Edited

Folks,
Yesterday my new IEXOS-100 arrived, got if fully assemebled, installed explorestars app on my win laptop and on my Amazon tablet (which crashed often).

Now I am attempting to flash to the latest firmware (have read various threads on the forum on how to do this but very confused and dont want to brick anything)

I am running the PMC-Eigh config manager on my win10 laptop, which is connected to the mount via usb-a socket on the laptop to the mini-usb socket on the mount, the utitlity does not seem to recognise this connection.
I have also downloaded the various firmwares , but it is not clear to me which one i should be using ( i assumed that they would have been versioned).

Any help appreciated.

Hildo

Hi Euan,

The firmware is universal now. 20A01.02 is the one you want

Yesterday my new IEXOS-100 arrived, got if fully assemebled, installed explorestars app on my win laptop and on my Amazon tablet (which crashed often).

Now I am attempting to flash to the latest firmware (have read various threads on the forum on how to do this but very confused and dont want to brick anything)

I am running the PMC-Eigh config manager on my win10 laptop, which is connected to the mount via usb-a socket on the laptop to the mini-usb socket on the mount, the utitlity does not seem to recognise this connection.
I have also downloaded the various firmwares , but it is not clear to me which one i should be using ( i assumed that they would have been versioned).

Any help appreciated.

Euan Milne

Excellent, thanks Hildo for letting me know.

Is it possible to flash the firm ware using wifi or must it be from a wired connection?

Wes Mcdonald

Euan

You
Must load via serial Port

Make sure you load an ftdi usb to serial driver . You can find one at the parallax web site.

Also get the universal firmware configuration (UFCT) tool and use it to configure your firmware after you load it with the configuration manager.

If you download the universal firmware kit which is linked on the Es website it will ha e the UFCT and instructions.

Euan Milne

Updated,

As per above,

Make sure laptop is plugged into mains, and the mount has a good power supply (wall plug).

Download and install the serial to usb drivers. from https://ftdichip.com/drivers/ ( as I am using a Win10 PC I used  the window drivers).
Download and intsall the PMC-Eight Config utility https://explorescientific.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system.  I had to right click on the link and do a "save link as..."
Run the PMC-Eight config utility, click on firmware tab and the download.
At the time of writing 25May2021 , the latest firmware is  "20A01.02"
Connect PC to Mount using the a usb cable. USB Type A (laptop side) to USB Mini on the mount side.
Turn on the mount,
Connect to the mounts wifi, "PMC-Eight -125C" with the password "PMC-Eight". (Use windows wifi selecton)
Within the PMC-Eight utility, select tab "Connection" , set the mount type and click refresh.
Set Com Port to COM6 (this may differe between PC's)
Click "Do It" next to Find Current Connection
On Firmware tab select the latest firmware, and click "Flash Selected"
Click okay,
The log will be displayed in the output window..
And thats it :)

28       Received: ESGvES20A01.02 Release 2021.05.16: ES1A01CB20A01, ESP8266, DST4!
27       Sending via Serial: ESGv!
26       Received: ESGp0000000!
25       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
24       EVT:503-Checking COM3.
EVT:504-Scanned COM3.
EVT:503-Checking COM6.
EVT:505-Propeller chip version 1 found on COM6.
EVT:506-Loading RAM
EVT:507-Verifying RAM
EVT:508-Programming EEPROM
EVT:509-Verifying EEPROM
INF:451-Success.

23       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\Euan\Documents\PMC8Firmware\20A01.02.eeprom"
22       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
21       Attempting to upload ROM: 20A01.02.eeprom
20       Mount appears to be connected on Serial
19       EVT:503-Checking COM3.
EVT:504-Scanned COM3.
EVT:503-Checking COM6.
EVT:505-Propeller chip version 1 found on COM6.
EVT:506-Loading RAM
EVT:507-Verifying RAM
EVT:508-Programming EEPROM
EVT:509-Verifying EEPROM
INF:451-Success.

18       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\Euan\Documents\PMC8Firmware\20A01.02.eeprom"
17       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
16       Attempting to upload ROM: 20A01.02.eeprom
15       Com Port: COM6
14       Firmware sucessfully unzipped
13       Unzipping firmware file.
12       Firmware files successfully downloaded to C:\Users\Euan\Documents\PMC8Firmware\Firmware.zip
11       Downloading firmware
10       Error opening Readme.txt file
9       Received:
8       Sending via Serial: ESGv!
7       Received:
6       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
5       ERROR!!  The firmware files could not be downloaded.  Please check your internet connection and try again
4       Downloading firmware
3       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
2       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
1       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
0       Com Port: COM6

Thanks to Hildo and Wes.

Wes Mcdonald

Euan

Great

Now configure your firmware with the UFCT.  Very important.

Euan Milne

Hmm now you have lsot me...

Is "UFCT"  the "PMC-Eight Confiuration Manager", from https://explorescientific.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system?

And what do I need to configure?

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1

Wes Mcdonald

Euan

Go here and load the kit.

You already have the firmware loaded.   I. The kit you have the UFCT and instructions.

Matt

Euan,
Out of interest where did you get your FTDI chipped USB cable? I can't find one anywhere!

Matt
--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm

m4ttnova .

I purchased my ftdi chips etc for my exos 2 pmc8 from the ftdi website.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021, 16:34 Matt via groups.io, <matthewneal=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
Euan,
Out of interest where did you get your FTDI chipped USB cable? I can't find one anywhere!

Matt
--
Mounts: I EXOS 100 PMC8, iOptron Sky Guider Pro
Telescopes: Horizon 72ED Doublet, Horizon 50mm Guidescope, SAMYANG 135mm ƒ2, Samyang 14mm ƒ2.8, Sigma 150-600mm
Cameras: ZWO ASI533 Pro, ZWO ASI120MM-s, Nikon Z6
Accessories: ZWO ASIAIR Pro
Software:
Processing Software:
AstroPixelProcessor, Pixinsight

Chris Hanson

I ordered mine from Amazon

Wes Mcdonald

This one is great.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 11:34 AM, Matt wrote:
Out of interest where did you get your FTDI chipped USB cable? I can't find one anywhere!
Hi Matt, the iEXOS 100 does not require an FTDI Adapter cable, on a Type A to mini Type B DATA Cable, not the generic power cable version.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data