when you're not lookin at the stars..

Robert

That'll hold!

James Ball

It is for sure :)  That deck is about 5 feet above the ground there, the reason for the wedge to prevent any shifting of the pier, which I am going to upgrade to a 6x6 once lumber prices come back down.  I have finally installed the railing, but you know, priorities dictated the pier must come first!
--
James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky

Robert

Edited

Nice deck. ingenuity at its finest! Working with wood is a whole 'nother subject :-).

James Ball

oops that photo doesn't have the ETX.
--
James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: Meade ETX90RA(deforked now) Sky Watcher 150MCT
Camera: ZWO ASI 120MC-S
Software: Explore Stars Android, ASCOM, Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, AS!3, SharpCap, RegiStax6.

James Ball

Looks much better than the wooden pier I made for my iEXOS-100 a few years ago.

It is isolated from the deck by lifting the square frame around the post that fills the void to prevent the post from bending when not in use.  So far it works really well even when I have the SW150MCT on the mount for planetary imaging.  The one in the photo is the ETX90.

--
James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: Meade ETX90RA(deforked now) Sky Watcher 150MCT
Camera: ZWO ASI 120MC-S
Software: Explore Stars Android, ASCOM, Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, AS!3, SharpCap, RegiStax6.

Cesar Brollo

Awesome idea!

El mié, 16 jun 2021 a las 8:18, myron_wasiuta via groups.io (<myrnteryx4=aol.com@groups.io>) escribió:
Nice idea Robert! I too modified my Exos-2 mount to fit on a tiny pier which allows the mount and scope to fit into a small enclosure allowing remote imaging. Here are a few pics of that project. Eventually when complete the enclosure will have a roof that van be remotely opened and closed allowing complete remote control of the station. We will be using this at MSRO as a science telescope with photometry and spectroscopy capabilities.

Robert

what a neat idea! I bet that will work really well.

myron_wasiuta

Nice idea Robert! I too modified my Exos-2 mount to fit on a tiny pier which allows the mount and scope to fit into a small enclosure allowing remote imaging. Here are a few pics of that project. Eventually when complete the enclosure will have a roof that van be remotely opened and closed allowing complete remote control of the station. We will be using this at MSRO as a science telescope with photometry and spectroscopy capabilities.

Robert

I have had the privilege of using both the iexos-100 and exos 2 mounts with their included tripods. while tripods can provide a sturdy base and reliability, the repeated setting up and taking down is time consuming. so after some clouds rolled in i decided to get busy. having some tools at my disposal meant I was able to get this done pretty quickly. some square tubing, sheet metal,'welding, shop equipment, and cad drawing later, I came up with this: exos2 pier

iexos 100 pier:
I look forward to a bolt upgrade on the azimuth adjuster for the custom iexos100 setup. maybe hurricane knobs.
also, some clear skies been raining for a week!