Pulseguide settings & errors

Sean

First night out this summer and I encountered a set of new problems.

1.) First issue I encountered is in PHD2 I repeatedly see pop up "Pulseguide command to mount has failed". Now running the latest v2.6.10.

My current Pulse Guiding settings for the driver are RA rate .40, DEC rate .40, and min pulse time 1.0. Before going out this year I did update firmware & driver, I assume whatever I had set last year was erased. I do seem to remember changing these settings per post here that I can not find. Should these be changed, if so to what?

Part of the night (west side) I was getting best guiding stats I had seen ever. When going to target eastward, not so much (I know I do have some balance issues to work out). One common thing through out the night is I would see the error popping up "Pulseguide command to mount has failed". PHD2 settings? Mount driver settings?

3.) Second issue is one that has plagued me since the beginning. I start the night after getting a good to excellent polar alignment via Sharpcap. I then slew to a target to sync in Cartes du Ciel (happens as well in Stellarium). When I go to the target I will be way off. I now use N.I.N.A. to plate solve to get me to the correct coordinates. When I move to another target it will again be way off. There are times though I can remember going directly to the first target of the night and getting it close to spot on. What causes this behavior?

--
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED80

Sebastian

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Good day,

I can provide some insight on item (3):

Reasons this may occur:

1.      Make sure your mount is aimed true North.

2.      Your mount needs to be level.  You should check all corners of the tripod legs:

The center after doing each corner of the tray.

Verifying tray and top mount are identical

Determining bubble level accuracy

3.      Making sure your imaging scope is balanced on both the RA/ DEC axis.

4.      Regarding SharpCap and its accuracy.   SharpCap accuracy can be

improved by aligning your iEXOS-100 tunnel/ guidescope/ and your telescope.

Make sure all three scopes are looking at the same object centered.  This can be verified

during the day by selecting a fixed object approximately a quarter-mile away.

This should eliminate or greatly reduce most pointing errors.

5.      Once you have things figured out, try and setup in the same location, so you will

not have to repeat steps 1 and 2.

6.      There are no home position marks on the iEXOS-100 mount, so you will have to

make your own.  Most people use painters tape.  I use taped on numbers.

As for me, I can’t see Polaris due to numerous obstructions.  I level/ fully extend the tripod

legs of my mount and aim towards True North and go on my way.

.

.JR

[...]

Unfortunately this may not be the problem. I just downloaded this week the latest firmware, and sure enough it was version 20A01.03 that got flashed (I double checked regardless and it is ES20A01.03 Release 2021.05.20).

So either this firmware & driver still has the issue, or I have encountered a new problem,

--
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED80
Msc
: ZWO 60mm guide, ZWO ASI120MM, ZWO ASIAIR
Software: Backyard Nikon

Jennifer Shelly

Edited

Sean:

Please refer to this post by Jerry Hubble. https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/10150

I encourage you to use FW 20A01.01 and the ASCOM driver dated 04/10/2021.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA400, Askar FRA600, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C, QHY183M
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance / L-Extreme, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD, Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso 2, QHY CFW3-S, Optolong 1.25” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Sean

I started from scratch, and did flash back to 20A01.01 and installed driver per Jerry's post in the universal kit which I confirmed was release 2021 04 10, so hopefully all should be good now.

Couple final question before I go out tonight, should I adjust my pulse guiding settings in the driver? Currently at 40ms.

Finally I see in my PHD2 logs the following: Backlash comp = disabled, pulse = 20 ms.  Is this anything I need to worry about?

--
Mounts: iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED80
Cameras:  Nikon D5600 (H-Alpha modified), Nikon D5300
Msc
: ZWO 60mm guide, ZWO ASI120MM, ZWO ASIAIR
Software: Backyard Nikon

Wes Mcdonald

Sean

The backlash off is appropriate if you have not measured backlash using the guiding assistant.    It can probably be off just fine.

40ms minimum
Guide pulse is likely to be fine.  I set mine to 20 which is about as short a pulse as the driver can give.  But phd figures out the pulse width needed anyhow.  It is seldom less than 40ms if the sidereal rate fraction is .4 (40 in the hmi of the driver setting page).

.01 firmware has a bug in it that may or may not cause you trouble. But for now it seems to be the one that works the best per Jennifer’s note.

Good luck.

Sean

So I have FW 20A01.01 and the ASCOM driver dated 04/10/2021, opened PHD2 to play around with drift align (no view of Polaris when at home), and I continue to have the same error.

Also encountered a strange error this week. Mount is just setup at home and had it connected when working on new camera. Through ASCOM hub I have no problems slewing North or South, but if I do East or West the moment I stop slewing it will take some time before I can slew again. I press the button, the screen will show "Slewing" but the mount does not move. I wait a minute and I can then slew again East/West.

Possibly related, or new issue?

--

On Sat, Jul 10, 2021 at 02:31 AM, Sean wrote:
So I have FW 20A01.01 and the ASCOM driver dated 04/10/2021
Hi Sean,

You should be using firmware 20A01.02, or .03 as supplied in the current installation kit. The ASCOM driver should be as you have 2021.4.10 D release.
Here is the link to the current installation kit dated 2021.07.01

https://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/PMC-Eight%2020A01%20Firmware%20Installation%20Kit%202021-07-01.zip

jrh at explorescientific.com