Help pls, Guiding cables, Do i need to connect the ST4 cable to laptop and mount? #tracking

Euan Milne

Folks,

Getting my head around the guiding setup. Cable wise, I have a USB cable from Laptop to Mount, usb Cable from Laptop to Guide Camera, Do I need to use the ST4 cable between the camera and the mount or the laptop and mount or something else?

Some resources say no and other say yes.

 I plan on using ATP / Stellarium / Phd2 and ASCOM. I have all the software talking to each other.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 09:12 AM, Euan Milne wrote:
Some resources say no and other say yes.
Hi Euan,

There are two ways to connect your mount to your guiding system via the universally used PHD2 Guiding software. You can use the legacy ST4 connector on the mount with an ST4 cable to your camera. This is called "On camera" in PHD2. OR, you can eliminate the use of another cable by using the PulseGuiding API in ASCOM by selecting ASCOM in PHD2 for the auto guiding connection. PHD2 makes use of the USB connection you have to your mount already to send pulses to your mount.

The ASCOM PulseGuide function is the best way to go. No need to use the legacy ST4 connector anymore.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data