Com Port

When Explore Scientific decided to embrace the “Open Source” concept, it spawned this “Open Minds” forum. It’s a Good Thing!

We need to be willing to do a bit of experimenting to realize the full potential of our gear; and for a lot of us, that’s a significant part of the fun. We have plenty of mentors here to keep us on track. I’m pleased to have found this company and this group.

Chuck Lewis

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don Bradford
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2021 10:09 AM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Com Port

I understand.  I have found that hands-on tweaking is essential to any astronomy adventure. But it’s easy to be unnecessarily intimidated by the complexity of a device like the EXOS2-PMCEIGHT.

-Don

On Sep 12, 2021, at 8:59 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don.

Just to follow up.  When I said “cut the cord” I meant to try and learn the ins and outs without going physically to explore scientific.

Just wanted to clarify this in case readers thought I meant to cut an actual serial cord or something.

Don Bradford
Explore Scientific AR102mm, f/6.5
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Explore Scientific 12" Truss Tube dob

--
Scope: Explore Scientific AR-102, Astro-Tech AD72ED, Nikon kit lenses
Mounts: Exos2GT-PMC8, Homebrew barndoor tracker

Don Bradford

I understand.  I have found that hands-on tweaking is essential to any astronomy adventure. But it’s easy to be unnecessarily intimidated by the complexity of a device like the EXOS2-PMCEIGHT.
-Don

On Sep 12, 2021, at 8:59 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don.

Just to follow up.  When I said “cut the cord” I meant to try and learn the ins and outs without going physically to explore scientific.

Just wanted to clarify this in case readers thought I meant to cut an actual serial cord or something.

Don Bradford
Explore Scientific AR102mm, f/6.5
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Explore Scientific 12" Truss Tube dob

Wes Mcdonald

Don.

Just to follow up.  When I said “cut the cord” I meant to try and learn the ins and outs without going physically to explore scientific.

Just wanted to clarify this in case readers thought I meant to cut an actual serial cord or something.

Don

It’s good to align the pulley.  The small pulley has a keeper in both ends and this pretty much keeps the belt in place.   What you have to watch for is if you move the large pulley out too much it will scrape the plastic screw boss that holds the shell.  This causes guiding errors.  By sliding the small pulley onto the motor shaft more you can optimize things relative to the spacing in that tight enclosure.it also has two set screws with the same hex wrench size  I think .  I filed the boss a bit to make a tad more room.

Also you should review bob’s paper for comments about getting the motor shaft parallel to the worm shaft.  If they are cocked the belt will walk and rub excessively in the small pulley keeper, which also causes guiding errors.

The belt always walks on my mount anyhow, I can never get it not to.

Sounds like you are getting things going.  I would try to cut the cord with driving to ES if you can. Self sufficiency is a good thing.  Learn the ins and outs, they will serve you well in situations where you cannot go get help.

Don Bradford

Wes: I removed the plastic housing and the large clogged “pulley” was indeed loose. And I slipped it out a bit to match up with the belt, and tightened the two very small Allen screws. Also very small Phillips screws holding the housing. All works well now, I think.
-Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 3:35 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Wes:  I notice that the belt is not 100% on the large cogged pulley.  I'm thinking some adjustment might be needed in addition to tightening the set screws.  I'm also thinking I would save some time by just making another trip to Springdale for some ES help.  Comments?
Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 2:52 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Thanks.  That sounds like the problem. I’ll look fir the paper.

On Sep 11, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

If the motor is turning and the belt is turning then the large pulley on the worm gear is loose.  It is held onto the shaft by two set screws.   You will have to remove the plastic housing to get to them.   Don’t lose the screws.

Bottom part of the housing is held onto the top half by four screws set into holes in the top plastic housing half, these are small Phillips head screws.     The top plastic housing half is held onto the mount by the four silver screws which take a hex wrench to unscrew.  This allows removal of the clam shell.  Note the db9 cannot be removed from the bottom half owing to the manner they installed it.  So secure the clam shell with a strain relief to prevent damage to the motor wires.

I believe the removal process will be detailed in bob hoskins paper re hypertuning.   It can be found in the files section of mounts or main subgroups on the forum.

[...]

Wes:  Sorry for the piecemeal emails.  But, on the Windows/Parallels issue, I did not notice the IP "sniping" once I got it home.  With the manual IP setting, it seemed to consistently appear to be connected to the correct IP, but ExploreStars was not doing anything.  I gave up.
-Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 1:37 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

What we saw in the zoom is that apparently windows and the mac on parallels both connect to the pmc8. This was leaving the windows version connected to the wrong port. The rn131 only will connect and exchange data on .11.   Windows was getting .12.    I believe we established that the Mac was sniping the .11.  Must be something with parallels.

Telling Explorestars to use firmware is how the Explorestars can set the correct motor counts .

As for Explorestars stopping. This might happen with the asi air depending on how it is driving the firmware.   The firmware cooperates with ascom and Explorestars well, but I don’t know how the asi air might differ from ascom.

One thing you can try when Explorestars refuses to do anything is toggling the T and P button/indicator.  Under certain combinations of being driven by the serial port (in this case the asi air) and WiFi from Explorestars, the firmware will lock out Explorestars.  The underlying theory of operation is that the ascom driver on serial has control dominance over Explorestars.  If you switch the Explorestars from T to P to T it from P to T this will, if the serial port is not being driven hard by commands, unlock Explorestars.  I don’t know if the lock out conditions that toggle clears is what you are seeing but it might be.  Let us all know what you find.

Don Bradford
Explore Scientific AR102mm, f/6.5
EXOS2/PMC-Eight
ASIAIR Pro
ZWO ASI294MM Pro
Explore Scientific 12" Truss Tube dob

Don Bradford

Wes:  Toggling the T and P makes sense, as I did notice that both the ASIAIR and ExploreStars are trying to track.  I will try that with more attention to your suggestion.  HOWEVER, I now have a more serious problem!  I was doing all the experimenting with no telescope on the mount, and it seemed smooth as I would give it a "Go To" and then stop it (whether I was using ASIAIR or ExploreStars).  Then at one point I decided to let it go all the way to the "target" and I noticed that the Dec motor kept running but it stopped rotating, as if it got hung up.  I didn't notice anything that could have stopped the rotation, but I then decided to put the telescope on and balance it.  I also took the little "window cover" on the gears for the Dec mechanism off, and tried again.  It seems permanently slipping.  The motor runs and the belt turns, but the mount doesn't move.  Ouch!!  Tell me there is a good reason for this and it can be easily fixed!
[...]

Wes:  Forgot one fix:  To get the iPhone to connect to ASIAIR Pro, I had to disable "cellular data".  I will probably be using my iPad Mini for separate operations of either WiFi or ASI Air.
Don

On Sep 11, 2021, at 1:18 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Wes:  Finally got the PMC Eight configured, and working with both ASIAIR Pro (via serial port) and PMC Eight via WiFi (ExploreStars in iPAD Mini).
To  install the new firmware (with the Configuration Manager) with Windows 10 (on Mac with Parallels 17), we had to use a new RS232 cable (the one for ASIAIR had to have the DTR signal inverted), and install the Com driver.  After firmware update, in the ExploreStars App I switched from "ignore FW" to "Use FW", and that seemed to allow things to work, although so many things were changing at that point, I can't be sure. I can now operate the mount with ASIAIR alternating with WiFi on iPad Mini.  However, periodically the WiFi process quits (even though the connection to the correct IP address looks correct).  The ASIAIR seems to be solid in its operation.  I was never able to get the PMC Eight to work in WiFi with the Windows 10/Parallels 17 combination.  Tried every option we could think of including the manual IP address "work around" suggested for Windows 10.  I will continue to work on this, but it is a low priority, since now I have two alternatives to make the mount work without using Windows on my Mac.
Don

On Sep 8, 2021, at 6:36 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don

Read my long note.  You do. It have to connect cm via the connection tab to load software.

[...]

Brand new mount (EXOS2).  I don't plan to use Poth or serial control from Windows 10, only WiFi with ExploreStars.  Only need serial from Windows to upgrade firmware.  Don't know what version of firmware came with PMCEight.  Picked it up a few weeks ago.  I have an email to kent Marts to see if the paperwork shows.  I should be able to control the mount with ASIAIR Pro (through serial port) concurrently with WiFi (either iPad or Windows), right?  In any event, with the current firmware (which I don't think I have yet), it should be easier to start with either ASIAIR or WiFi/ExploreStars.  Right now (with my current version of firmware), the PMC-Eight seems to have trouble getting to the right connection.  But more to the current point:  As I have discussed, I can't get Windows 10 to do anything with the PMCEight.  If I can get the Windows 10/WiFi to connect for purposes of getting the CM to connect to serial to load firmware, I will be OK and can re-invert the DTR if I have to.  Then either buy another cable, or invert it again for ASIAIR use.

On Sep 8, 2021, at 4:55 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don:

1.  You may control the mount via Windows wifi OR ipad wifi.  You cannot do both.
2. In parallels, you are just running windows.  Thus you select the serial port via the comm port selection in the ascom driver.  You are setting up the Driver as serial are you not?  It is one of the setup pages (main one I think) that happens when you open the settings for the driver from poth.
3.  You can use the windows device manager to find the usb to serial converter.

I verified the PMC8 will boot and run with the DTR line inverted.  So that is good.  I am not sure you can run the CM to load firmware with it that way, but you might be able to.  I have no way to try it.

What version of firmware are you running?  How old is your mount and have you ever upgraded it?

Wes.

Don:

1.  You may control the mount via Windows wifi OR ipad wifi.  You cannot do both.
2. In parallels, you are just running windows.  Thus you select the serial port via the comm port selection in the ascom driver.  You are setting up the Driver as serial are you not?  It is one of the setup pages (main one I think) that happens when you open the settings for the driver from poth.
3.  You can use the windows device manager to find the usb to serial converter.

I verified the PMC8 will boot and run with the DTR line inverted.  So that is good.  I am not sure you can run the CM to load firmware with it that way, but you might be able to.  I have no way to try it.

What version of firmware are you running?  How old is your mount and have you ever upgraded it?

Wes.

Don Bradford

Also, the missing ExploreStars App data is in the Windows version. iPad control works fine, and I guess has the full data base.

On Sep 8, 2021, at 3:52 PM, Don Bradford via groups.io <don.bradford1@...> wrote:

Wes:  The CM error messages are that I have to first establish WiFi connection with the PMCEIGHT.  Also, I was able to control the mount through the PMCEIGHT with my iPad even with the serial cable (with inverted DTR) plugged in (both ends). So if WiFi connection is required, how do I phrase the question to Parallels?  How do I describe the PMCEIGHT insofar as WiFi connection is concerned?  Is it like a separate computer or some other type device?  Also, to my earlier question: should my Windows 10/Parallels (once it is fixed) be able to control the mount by WiFi through PMCEIGHT and ExploreStars App?
Don

On Sep 8, 2021, at 1:13 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don:

When you invert the DTR line on your chip set, I believe the cable will hold the PMC8 reset.  If you are trying to use wifi when the cable is attached to the PMC8, independent as to wheter it is also plugged into the PC I think the PMC8 is held reset.  With this condition, the CM will not see the PMC8 serial.

Another possibility for the CM to not see the serial connetion is that the PC is not connected to the PMC8 wifi.  Dpn't ask me why it has to be but it almost always needs to be for the CM to find the serial port.

BUT, you need not have the CM connected via serial (ie go through the connection tab) to load firmware.  Just get your PC onto your home network so you can get at the new code.  It is best to load the install pack from the web site.  This has all the files you need to upgrade the firmware.  Then you use the CM advanced tab to browse to the new firmware you got with the install pack and tell it to load.  Now the thing is, the CM might not do it because of the inverted DTR line, you will have to see.  If the PMC8 is held reset, loading will not occure.  If the the DTR line is upside down from what the loader expects, even if the PMC8 is not held reset, I expect the loader will not work.

You might want to buy another usb-serial cable and not invert the DTR line.

What firmware are you running at this time?

As for explorestars telling you that the data fies are not found (in the ipad, correct?) I can't say.  If you load the app from the Apple store it all comes in.  Perhaps look at the setup page in the ipad explorestars and see where it thinks the data files are located.  If that adress is not where they are then I guess yo could try to change it.  I would probably just remove the app first though and reload it from the apple store.

One final thing is Parallels might not be giving you full access to the computer IO ports.  I have heard of such problems, but cannot specifically comment.  I can tell you I use a bootcamped mac mini to control my mount just fine.

Wes.

Don Bradford

[...]

Sorry Wes, I didn’t see your most recent lengthy email. I will digest and try to figure next step. Thanks.

[...]

To back up and simplify troubleshooting, do I have to be able to connect WiFi from Windows 10 in order to update the firmware?  If so, then I should be able to connect WiFi without regard to any serial cable. I can connect to the PMCEIGHT with my iPad just fine (after I reset if necessary to get connected). It’s possible I connected to WiFi from Windows 10 but was unable to verify it because my ExploreStars App didn’t install properly. (Remember I said the data was indicated to be missing).  Which end is the best to troubleshoot first, serial with a reprogrammed cable or WiFi issues?

On Sep 8, 2021, at 2:17 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Don:

I did not mean to imply you had disabled your wifi.  You cannot disable your wifi.
Wes.