Fitting a losmandy dovetail to exos-2 gt #EXOS2

Ram Bache

Hi Friends
looking for help on what is the cheapest and best option to use exos-2 mount to enable mounting an OTA with losmandy dovetail plate.

thank you
Ram

Wes Mcdonald

Ram:

Well, you could bolt a vixen dovetail to the Losmandy dovetail, that would be the cheapest.

I replaced the EXOS2  puck with one made by ADM for (I think) a CG5 that fits nicely and has mounting holes that accept a Losmandy sized saddle.  But that whole rig will cost you lots of money.

If the losmandy bar is replaceable on your scope you can also buy a Vixen and just replace it.

Wes.

Ram Bache

Wes
Thank you. I will take the cheaper route as you suggested
Regards
Ram

On Oct 11, 2021, at 12:19, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Ram:

Well, you could bolt a vixen dovetail to the Losmandy dovetail, that would be the cheapest.

I replaced the EXOS2  puck with one made by ADM for (I think) a CG5 that fits nicely and has mounting holes that accept a Losmandy sized saddle.  But that whole rig will cost you lots of money.

If the losmandy bar is replaceable on your scope you can also buy a Vixen and just replace it.

Wes.

Jennifer Shelly

Ram:

The cheapest option is to replace the Losmandy dovetail on the scope with a long Vixen dovetail.

The next mid-range price option is and ADM D to V converter that fits into your existing Vixen saddle that coverts Vixen to Losmandy.

The most expensive option is to replace the Vixen assembly on the mount with an ADM DV assembly which would give you access to both Vixen and Losmandy connections.  This option is requires some technical skill because you have to remove the DEC motor along with the Vixen assembly. The ADM replacement does require drilling or filing to widen the slot to remount the DEC motor in order to use the existing bolts.

I chose the last option because I personally do not trust saddle connections that use screws for a large scope.
It is all a matter of preference.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA400, Askar FRA600, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C, QHY183M
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance / L-Extreme, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD, Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso 2, QHY CFW3-S, Optolong 1.25” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Ram Bache

Jennifer
Thank you for the three options and the recommendation as well
I am going to take the option 1 for now until I get some experience.
Regards
Ram