Topics

A housing for the Parallax USB to Serial adapter

r_hoskin@...

The Parallax USB-to-Serial adapter  ->  https://www.parallax.com/product/28031

works fine with my PMC-8, but its packaging continued to bother me. I wanted thumbscrew attachment to the PMC-8, and a bit more protection/strain relief for the board.

So... I purchased a VGA-to-RJ45 adapter like this, thinking its case should have sufficient room for the little Parallax board, with a small enough footprint to fit on the PMC-8:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005JRD68C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It did. I popped the original wiring/connectors out of the VGA to RJ45, cleaned out internal plastic that would obstruct the Parallax board (dremel, file), and snapped it in.  Fits.  A little crude, but at least I feel better!  I've not glued the board into the housing.  Tempted, but I've advised myself to quit while I'm ahead :-)

- Bob

Michael Fulbright

Nice find!  I found some on ebay for next to nothing (2 for $1.49).  Saves me from making a 3D printed box...

Michael Fulbright