Topics

Actual serial port speed?

r_hoskin@...

Jerry,

My Parallax USB-to-Serial adapter shows up as COM3.  I happened to look at the port's properties in in Device Manager and thought it was interesting that the port settings show up as 9600,8,1,None.  Just wondering what speed the connected scope is actually running at?

With ASCOM connected to the PMC-8 and 115,200 selected in your driver, the port's settings in DM remain at 9600.  I've also noticed that it can take a couple of tries to get the new ASCOM driver to actually connect.  First (and rarely, second) try often returns a 'not ready', and after that it works.

Just for fun, I powered everything down, bumped the Device Manager port config to 115,200, started up and found no change in connection behavior.  Would have been nice to have smoothed that initial 'not ready' out, but hardly as showstopper.

Anyway, back to the question at hand.  With Device Manager continuing to report 9600, and the driver configured at 115,200... Which speed is actually in use for the conversation between the devices?

Thanks!

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

The PMC-Eight communicates at 115,200 Baud. The setting in the device manager is just a default value that the driver starts up with when it is loaded up in Windows. FYI, the wireless connection is at 115,200 Baud also.

This value really shouldn't be changed, in fact I don't think I have tried it at any other Baud rate, it may break it.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.