Additional counterweight mass #EXOS2 #guiding

I'm pretty happy with my guiding overall, but that doesn't stop me from wondering if it's possible to do better, particularly given my often-iffy seeing.

I finally have some clear sky tonight, so I decided to see what would happen if I stacked TWO counterweights ( 5kg + 2Kg ) on the weight bar.  This is not about balancing aggressively East-heavy - I've been doing that for a long time, and it's been helpful.

This is about putting more mass closer to the RA axis, while still balancing aggressively East-heavy. And yes, there's a bit of space between the two weights.  One up at the top, and the other one adjusted for bias.

This is one sample session only, but I think  that I'm seeing more consistent RMS numbers that are less reactive to bumpy patches of seeing, so overall improved.

The usual discussions (CloudyNights, etc.) on more weight closer to the RA often focus on reducing counterweight bar oscillations.  Perhaps that's so, but one thing I think I'm seeing is a calmer DEC, and I wonder if increased inertia from the second counterweight isn't a factor in that.

FWIW...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

BobH

Bob - that's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. But with my rig, I'm naturally doing what I think you're describing - putting my counterweight load very close to the axis (previously 1 finger down from the shroud, now 2 fingers due to the heavier saddle) That would be very "stiff" in a mechanical sense. I've been recently shooting exclusively into the west. I will watch that closely, for when I shift back to east-side targets, that weight would be dropping way farther down the bar to maintain the same relative balance - so definitely an opportunity for more flexure. Clearly I was wrong, its now a 28-dimension optimization challenge!

It'll be awhile, but I'll let you know what, if anything, I find.
--
Cheers, Bob
(A recently retired CTO, returning to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus...)

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Optics: RedCat-51; 1980's Celestron C-11; Meade AR5; Various DSLR lenses
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
         Home-built Workstation, Win10Pro (remote control, processing); Galaxy S6 Tablet
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6
Wish-list: 5-inch class APO; Losmandy/PMC8 G-11; RASA-11?
Favorites: Vast glowing clouds of gas and dust

Wes Mcdonald

HT
Why would more mass in ra axis dampen out dec?

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

James Ball

Maybe for the same reason as RA improvement.  When twisting the Dec, you have less bar between the bearings and the mass so the bar is more resistant to flexure from the torque of rotating it?  Like twisting a towel to remove water, the longer the towel is between your hands, the easier it is to twist it.
--
James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky

What James said, but also...the bar swings with the RA, but it rotates with the DEC, and I added mass to it.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2022, at 06:41, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
HT
Why would more mass in ra axis dampen out dec?

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Dennis Vijlbrief

Hi,

maybe this an interesting doc related to this discussion: https://www.astro-physics.info/tech_support/accessories/mounting_acc/balance-to-optimize-guiding.pdf

--
Clear skies

Dennis
———————

Mount: exos-2 pmc8
Telescope: skywatcher 150P
Camera: Nikon D5500
Software: APT, NINA, Gimp, PS Align Pro, Windows11
Guiding: ZWO mini 120, svbony sv165, phd2, no ST4
Filters: Astronomik Ha 12nm, Optolong L-Extreme

Wes Mcdonald

Right.  But for dec what we add is rotational inertial.  Beautiful.  So it might help.  Interval etc is a question mark but at least there is an idea.  Might make it a little slower to deviate in dec from a breeze.  I have wondered (once upon a time) if an offset weight at right angle to the weight bar might not help the dec.  that is in fact what a camera heavy rig does but the torque changes with dec angle.   What we need is a constant dec torque which would be weight at right angles to the dovetail bar.  Interesting. In the exos2 this is what the dec motor provides.   Hmmm.

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

Clear skies tonight, so I'm out for a second try with the extra weight on the bar (5kg + 2kg).

Pretty much the same experience as before, but with the added joy of worse - and quite variable - seeing, this time.

Still, PHD2 seems calmer with the extra weight, and while there's no getting away from a bit of bouncing around when the seeing runs away on me, the mount seems to settle down pretty quickly as it passes.

FWIW...

Pic attached.

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Micheal

Robert

  I added more wt to my mount also. Which improved my guiding alot. I used al longer guide time 2.0 sec. I'm pleased with how the addition wt helps the Dec recovery and not so eriatic. attached is a shot of my guiding from last night.

Micheal

Mount: IExos-100 and EXOS2GT both running PMC-Eight version 20A01.
Scope: iOptron Photron 150mm RC OTA w/ focuser, Svbony 503 80mm f7 w/ Orion 0.8 field flattener and focuser
Scope: Celestron 150mm C6n f7 w/motor focuser controlled w/ FCUSB Motor Controller
Guide scope: Svbony 50 mm on 80mm Scope
Guide scope: Svbony 60 mm guide Scope on 150 mm Scopes
Cameras: Canon T7, ZWO 224, ZWO 120mm, ZWO 120 MC
Filter: 2" Optolong L-eNhance

Clear skies tonight, so I'm out for a second try with the extra weight on the bar (5kg + 2kg).

Pretty much the same experience as before, but with the added joy of worse - and quite variable - seeing, this time.

Still, PHD2 seems calmer with the extra weight, and while there's no getting away from a bit of bouncing around when the seeing runs away on me, the mount seems to settle down pretty quickly as it passes.

FWIW...

Pic attached.

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Devesh Pande

Can you guys share a picture of where and how you added the weights?

I am guiding currently with and my RMS is varying between 0.8-1.5". Imaging with a 60 mm refractor. Pic for reference to see the position of CW.

--
EXOS 2 PMC 8
Aperture 60mm EDR

Devesh,

Look back up this thread - I posted one earlier.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2022, at 01:04, Devesh Pande wrote:
Can you guys share a picture of where and how you added the weights?

I am guiding currently with and my RMS is varying between 0.8-1.5". Imaging with a 60 mm refractor. Pic for reference to see the position of CW.

--
EXOS 2 PMC 8
Aperture 60mm EDR
Apertura 1X field flattner
ZWO ASI Air
ZWO ASI472MC
ASI 183MC pro
Celestron C8
Optolong Lpro
Optolong Lextreme
Bortle 7

Attachments:
  • Screenshot_20220427-235634_ASIAIR.jpg

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Micheal

Devesh

   Picture of my new weight locations

Michealweight
        locations

On 4/28/2022 12:04 AM, Devesh Pande wrote:
Can you guys share a picture of where and how you added the weights?
I am guiding currently with and my RMS is varying between 0.8-1.5". Imaging with a 60 mm refractor. Pic for reference to see the position of CW.

--
EXOS 2 PMC 8
Aperture 60mm EDR
Apertura 1X field flattner
ZWO ASI Air
ZWO ASI472MC
ASI 183MC pro
Celestron C8
Optolong Lpro
Optolong Lextreme
Bortle 7

All,

We've had a few good nights here, and I continue to have lower and calmer RMS in variable seeing, when using additional weights: one at the top of the bar, and the lower one adjusting balance.

I see that Micheal tried this and was happy with it as well.  Just wondered who else had actually tried it, and was seeing improved results.

I'm considering a minor revision to the tuning doc, to add this as a recommendation, and a link to that very nice Astro-Physics balancing doc that Dennis provided.  It's both brief, and specific on the moment arm effects of more weight, higher on the bar.

But before I do that, though, I think I'd like to get a little more feedback from people who have actually tried it, and particularly around whether they, too, are seeing DEC oscillations calm down a bit as well.

Thoughts?

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Dennis Vijlbrief

Hi,

I’ve only been able to try it twice but I definitely see improvement in guiding with this setup.

cheers
--
Clear skies

Dennis
———————

Mount: exos-2 pmc8
Telescope: skywatcher 150P
Camera: Nikon D5500
Software: APT, NINA, Gimp, PS Align Pro, Windows11
Guiding: ZWO mini 120, svbony sv165, phd2, no ST4
Filters: Astronomik Ha 12nm, Optolong L-Extreme

Interesting how things line up sometimes.  :-)

Someone started a thread on counterweight positioning, on CloudyNights.
Usually, these things devolve into vague mentions of "oscillations", and facts and calculations are in short supply.
Not this time.  Fairly substantive discussion.  And yes, the PMC8 support forum got few electrons in the process.

Guess I need to get on with that update to the balancing section in the tuning doc.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/824098-counterweight-how-would-you-position-them/

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM 6.3, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

BobH

Let me know if I can help in any way, such as running controlled experiments for you, or helping with the doc. It is definitely a black-art at the present.

I've taken to responding to every newcomer who starts off with "and my mount is is perfect balance..." that what they need is to be "in prefect imbalance". I suspect some of them know that, and that's what they meant - but I'd bet most don't. Our hobby does a great dis-service when so many YouTube tutorials for beginners start with "get you mount in perfect balance..." Often said by folks running EQ8-RPro or Paramount mounts, with high-resolution optical encoders! I'm pretty sure if I had a $10-20K mount, my thoughts on balance would be different Emoji

When playing with my mount, and reverse-engineering what I had actually done (as opposed to what I thought I was doing, but obscured by excessive RA friction when un-clutched), was that when I was close to true balance, I'd get too many random large excursions - what I'd expect if there were very large random wind-gusts, except without the wind wind. And at perfect balance, it was easy to produce un-damped oscillations when guiding. These excursions looked like they were bouncing between the end-points of backlash, but that's just an estimate. Similar to uncorrected Periodic Error for these mounts, but far more chaotic. Based on several book-discussions, I did some comparisons between west and east heavy, and for me, found west was definitely better than nothing, basically "average", but that east was a sweet spot, what I'd consider "way above expectations". Perhaps average for a mount costing 2-3 times as much, but awfully exceptional for a quality budget mount. I've tried to optimize a few other things, it isn't just balance - but so far, correct imbalance seems to at least be a necessary, though not sufficient condition to at least get a peek behind the pearly-gates, a glance at the better performance realms.

Cheers, Bob

On Monday, May 16, 2022, 01:53:24 PM PDT, Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...> wrote:

[...]

Ok, Thanks!

Yep. Even with a great mesh adjustment, we will still have backlash in our gears, due to fixed clearance and factory tolerances.  Perfect balance leaves axes open to wobbling, and weight bias helps mitigate that.

Quite a lot, apparently.  What I didn't expect was how much difference the placement of that weight bias could make!

Well, one thing that would be good to work out, is the good-enough limits on being west-heavy post-flip.  You found that at the resolution you were using, you were able to absorb the increase in RMS without degrading your images.  That will have limits, but for imagers working within those limits, not having to touch the mount at a flip would be pretty nice.  I guess it would come down to your imaging resolution in arc-secs, vs degree of RMS change post-flip, but I'm not sure how best to relate the two.

On Mon, May 16, 2022, at 17:24, BobH via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it hits deeper waters pretty quick. I'm lucky: at my scale, with such a wide field, I can tolerate fairly "meh" average RMS and still have perfect exposures. When I'm working from home, running remotely from my bedroom, I have my astro-laptop delivering copies of the images to my main computer in real time, as they come off the camera. Lately, I've taken to firing up my image processing software on my bedroom workstation at session start (PI these days), as part of my standard at-home workflow. I pre-open two processes, Debayer and Photometric Color Calibration. As images come in to the workstation, I open every nth sub, Debayer it (translate it to RGB color), give it a quick stretch (make the image visible), and color match it (balance the colors, eliminates most weird sky coloration.) I'll reduce each processed image window so I can show lots of frames side-by-side on the monitor, position them all to the same spot, magnified enough that I can just see individual pixels. So any really important defects become immediately visible.

Now I can watch through the night - is seeing going bad? Clouds? Neighbor's floodlight aimed straight down my scope? Guiding amiss? I've also got the laptop's screen visible, so if something goes strange on the PHD2 guiding graph, I'll check that image out as soon as it is done. Many of the guiding flaws that "ruin" the average RMS on the graph actually have no impact at all on an image. For example, a typical problem might be a 4-6" instant shift in RA, fully corrected by a single guide pulse 1/2 second later. Large enough to "see" in theory, but far too short to leave enough misplaced photons on the sensor to register. And when I'm shooting with a narrow-band filter, it takes awhile to collect enough photons to see - so a quick correction renders many excursions to faint to see. On the other hand, if the mount goes on walkabout, that usually prints on the sensor.

As you noted, everyone's particular imaging scale, filter choice, target brightness et al make a huge difference as to what is really required from our mounts, at the moments that count.

Let's have some fun!