Topics

Alternate Download Location for Explore Stars

Steve Siedentop

Hi Jerry -

Question regarding Explore Stars....

Is there a place where I can download the application, outside of the Windows App Store?

When attempting to import the Celestial Database, I found that I'm unable to do so because the application is trying to write to the application container (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\) rather than a user mapped location (C:\My Docuemnts\Explore Stars\<yada, yada, yada> for example) and Microsoft seems to have this locked down nearly air tight as far as I can tell.

I spent quite a bit of time sifting through how to circumvent the permissions on the application container to no avail.

Thoughts?

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

To add more info to this, I have the Images folder, as well as the ExploreStars.txt, ExploreStars-Bright.txt, ExploreStars-Stars.txt files copied to the Pictures folder.

I tried installing this on my Compute Stick which runs Windows 10 Professional as well as my desktop which runs Windows 10 Professional as well.  Both have the Spring Creator's Update installed, but not the Fall Creator's update.

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

I also tried to install on a Surface Pro 4 with the Fall Creator's update installed and was unable to import the celestial database.

Question:

I don't have the PMC-8 yet and am doing test installs on my devices.  Does the app require connectivity to the PMC-8 in order to import the celestial database?

-Steve

David Pickett

At 19:26 02-11-17, sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I also tried to install on a Surface Pro 4 with the Fall Creator's update installed and was unable to import the celestial database.

Question:

I don't have the PMC-8 yet and am doing test installs on my devices. Does the app require connectivity to the PMC-8 in order to import the celestial database?

-Steve
If you dont have a PMC-Eight connected, all you get from ExploreStars is "Please Wait".

David

David Pickett

At 19:26 02-11-17, sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I also tried to install on a Surface Pro 4 with the Fall Creator's update installed and was unable to import the celestial database.

I notice that there are now links on the US Explore Scientific site http://www.explorestars.com/. E.g. www.explorestars.com/download/ExploreStarsComplete.zip

David

W. Christopher Moses

Hmmm... I'm running a SurfacePro 4 with the latest GA update and have not noticed this issue. I'll try a few things and see if I can replicate it.

Do you happen to know if you have "Developer Mode" features enabled?

Steve Siedentop

I got it figured out.  It was an issue on my end.  On my desktop, I had the Pictures folder mapped to a drive other than C:, which the application doesn't seem to like. My guess is that it's hardcoded to read c:\users\\pictures.

On my SurfacePro and Compute Stick, I was following instructions on a video that Scott and Greg made that weren't quite right.  After some experimenting, I found that I need to drop the ExploreStars folder in the Pictures folder rather than the Images folder and the three text files into the Pictures folder.

One thing I did notice that needs some UI polish is that the "Please Wait" screen stays up even after the database has been imported.  The form doesn't update until the application connects to the PMC-8.  Not a big deal, but a status bar would add a nice level of polish to the application.

-Steve

-Steve