Topics

Any interest in a 3d mouse for mount control?

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
I just got a 3D mouse:
https://www.3dconnexion.com/spacemouse_wireless/en/
as a present.

It seems to me that this might be an easy way of controlling the PMC-8 mounts without touching a pad or computer.
Let me know if you are interested.  If enough people are interested, I will write a driver.

Thanks,
Chris.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6

Jennifer Shelly

Interesting.  What is the cost of the mouse?
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

Pedro Jr., Donald

I found a price list through the link. The price varies depending on the package or model that you select. The price list contains two models under $150.  I did not check to see if the prices were in Canadian $ or American $.

Mike Leemhuis

Jeremy Parker

Hi Chris,

I'd definitely be interested in this concept. It would be great if it could somehow access POTH, so that it could be used alongside my current software setup. I always liked the ExploreStars motion controls, with the variable speed and ramping up/down when starting and stopping movements, but I don't really use ExploreStars anymore. POTH motion control is tiny on the screen just clunks on/off at whatever speed you select. If you were able to emulate smooth scope control from a physical device like the 3D mouse, that would be fantastic!

As an aside, I may be trying to set up my rig for visual use by using SGP to run plate-solving on my guidescope, and slew and center on targets, just like I was imaging but using my diagonal/eyepieces on the main scope. All my imaging targets are already loaded in SGP, so it would be nice to tour them visually sometimes. So having a 3D mouse control would give me a physical hand controller-like experience if I wanted to move the scope around while viewing. Anyway, sounds like a great idea to me.

Regards,
Jeremy

--
Jeremy Parker - North/West of Boston, MA
Scope:

W. Christopher Moses

Cool.  It sounds like there is interest.  I have a few things to do first, but I'll try to get to it in the next few weeks.
Thanks for your feedback.

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6
Cameras:  2x ZWO ASI1600MM-P, Nikon D5100, ZWO ASI 120
Msc: IF ONAG, Moonlight Nightcrawler, ZWO EFW
Software: PixInsights, TheSkyX Pro

Frank Bastian

Looks intriguing and I’d be game if it works. Would seem to offer much easier control at the eyepiece.
I assume it would be the wireless version, which looks to be $140 now on Amazon.
Frank

On Aug 8, 2019, at 12:31 AM, W. Christopher Moses via Groups.Io <chris_moses@...> wrote:

Hi,
I just got a 3D mouse:
https://www.3dconnexion.com/spacemouse_wireless/en/
as a present.

It seems to me that this might be an easy way of controlling the PMC-8 mounts without touching a pad or computer.
Let me know if you are interested.  If enough people are interested, I will write a driver.

Thanks,
Chris.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Losmandy AZ8
Scopes: Tak FSQ 106 EDX4, AT 115, WO Star 71, Mallincam RC6
Cameras:  2x ZWO ASI1600MM-P, Nikon D5100, ZWO ASI 120
Msc: IF ONAG, Moonlight Nightcrawler, ZWO EFW
Software: PixInsights, TheSkyX Pro

W. Christopher Moses

Well, I got the 3-d mouse and played with it.  It is ALMOST really cool.
It is heavy, well built, cool-looking and has 6 degrees of freedom.  Unfortunately, the knob only rotates about 1/2 inch in each direction.  This makes it really hard to be precise.
Frankly, I think it would be a PITA to actually use.

So much for that.  To bad.  It is almost perfect.

I'm going to start a new thread about writing a better driver for XBox controllers.  Please check out that thread and let me know what you think.