Topics

ASCOM Serial Connection Errors #ASCOM

Darryl Ellis

Hi All,

I asked this under the new Configuration Manager Post by W. Christopher, but I think this is outside of that subject.   His new Configuration Manager works well, but perhaps I am having a problem with the actual ASCOM Driver.

I have no problem working with the ASCOM driver via wifi, but because I intend to do some imaging, I want to also use it via serial connection.  By the way, I believe I am using the latest driver, ES PMC8 20190107Any CPU.

I uploaded some screenshots to the files section in an album I created called "Screenshots of Error Messages..."

The ASCOM Diagnostics Device Chooser appears to allow me to connect via serial connection, but does not communicate the mount position.  Also, when I attempt to use ASCOMPAD via the POTH Motion Control module I get  the error message that the 'Error connecting to Telescope Message - 80040402 ASCOM. Utilities timed out waiting on received data".

I checked that the driver for my Startech FTDI cable is working properly in the Device Manager.  I did have to change the baud rate from 9600 to the 115200 bps required by the ES PMC8 ASCOM Any CPU driver.

Please feel free to advise of any changes you deem necessary to get my serial connection working.

Thanks in advance.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,

Wes Mcdonald

Darryl

I think you need to verify your serial line works with the PMC8.  Do this

1.  Use the configuration manager to switch the PMC8 to serial.  First connect via wifi.  Bring up the conf mgr.  Then verify you are connected via wifi.  Then tell it to switch.  I believe it will switch but not sure.  If it won't then we try something else

2.  Get parallax serial terminal.

3.  With the serial line connected to the PC and the PMC8 spin up the device manager.  See what comm port the serial converter is.

4. Set the parallax terminal to that comm port.  Verify the baud rate.

5.  Reboot the PMC8.  See if you get a splash screen.  If you don't then the serial connection is not working.

Let's try this much and see where to go then

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Darryl,

What Wes said, but...

Did you keep attempting to connect after getting that message?  If so, what happened?

I see the sequence below Every Single Time I connect, and it's been reported by others from time to time, as well.  The stumbles are annoying, but they're basically click-through and I'm in.

Attempt #1: Error Connecting msg
Attempt #2: No message, but no success, either
Attempt #3: Connection sucessful

My guess (and that's all it is), from some connect-disconnect-connect cycles that I've run, is that the first bump or two probably has more to do with the FTDI driver becoming active and making COM ports available, than with ASCOM or the PMC8 driver.

FWIW...

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT

Darryl Ellis

Thanks Wes and Bob.  I'm at work and won't be able to try your suggestions until Thursday, but I definitely will and report back.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Hi Wes,

I did as you said, but I did not get a splash screen.

However, on the configuration manager I recorded the following:

20       Received: *HELLO*
19       Sending via TCP: ESX!
18       Received:
17       Sending via Serial: ESX!
16       Sending via UDP: ESX!...Error: ESX!
15       Sending via UDP: ESX!
14       Sending via UDP: ESGp0!...Error: ESGp0!
13       Sending via UDP: ESGp0!
12       Received: *HELLO*
11       Sending via TCP: ESGp0!
10       Received:
9       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
8       Received: *HELLO*
7       Sending via TCP: ESGp0!
6       Received: *HELLO*
5       Sending via TCP: ESX!
4       Received: *HELLO*
3       Sending via TCP: ESGp0!
2       Received:
1       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
0       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.

It appears to communicate via the TCP protocol but not the UDP.  The serial protocol acts like it is communicating but does not give the same response as under the TCP.

What do you think?
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Wes Mcdonald

Darryl:

The serial connection is not working, that is clear.  Don't sweat the UDP-TCP difference just yet.

1.  Did you set the Config manager to the proper mount type?
2.  Did you choose the comm port -- actually try pushing the find button for the app to identify the port on which your mount is.  If it fails the usb-serial is not working or not well enough anyway
3.  If the app finds the serial port, set the app port ot he proper comm port.  then press the top right do it button to connect.  Then try the button to connect to serial.  If it does then you are good..  If it fails then the serial port is not working.

The bottom status line of the app show you the connection status of serial and TCP.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Darryl Ellis

Copy Wes.  I'll give that a shot this afternoon .

I already ordered another different cable just in case. The one I have now requires I use a female to male adapter as I didn't pay attention to that requirement when I ordered it. Not sure if that's an issue or not.

Question for you regarding your signature, are you using the listed telescopes with the pmc8 exos2 or the losmandy mount?

Thanks,

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Okay, now nothing is working
How do I reset the PMC8 back to the way I received it?
At least it connected via wifi then, lol.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser, Astro Tech RC 6, QHY 5 II Guide Camera and 30mm Guidescope
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Darryl Ellis

Can anyone make any sense of this:

71       Received: *HELLO*
70       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
69       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESY!
68       Sending via TCP: ESY!
67       Received:
66       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
65       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESY!
64       Sending via Serial: ESY!
63       Received:
62       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
61       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
60       Sending via Serial: ESX!
59       Received: *HELLO*
58       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
57       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESX!
56       Sending via TCP: ESX!
55       Received: *HELLO*
54       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
53       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESX!
52       Sending via TCP: ESX!
51       Received:
50       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
49       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
48       Sending via Serial: ESX!
47       Received:
46       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
45       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
44       Sending via Serial: ESX!
43       Received:
42       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
41       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESY!
40       Sending via Serial: ESY!
39       Received:
38       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
37       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESGp0!
36       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
35       Received:
34       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
33       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESY!
32       Sending via Serial: ESY!
31       Received:
30       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
29       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
28       Sending via Serial: ESX!
27       Received:
26       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
25       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
24       Sending via Serial: ESX!
23       ComManager:     Start Sending UDP Message: ESGp0!...Error: ESGp0!
22       ComManager:     Start Sending UDP Message: ESGp0!
21       Sending via UDP: ESGp0!
20       Received: *HELLO*
19       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
18       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESY!
17       Sending via TCP: ESY!
16       Received: *HELLO*
15       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
14       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESGp0!
13       Sending via TCP: ESGp0!
12       Received: *HELLO*
11       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
10       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESY!
9       Sending via TCP: ESY!
8       Received:
7       ComManager:     Serial Returned:
6       ComManager:     Start Sending Serial Message: ESX!
5       Sending via Serial: ESX!
4       Received: *HELLO*
3       ComManager:     TCP Response: *HELLO*
2       ComManager:     Start Sending TCP Message: ESX!
1       Sending via TCP: ESX!
0       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.

Unfortunately, in order to get things back to a working state, I hit the factory reset button on the control module.  Then I saw Jerry's response to another group member that that is a no no.  Then I read AN002.

Any suggestions?

Darryl

--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Astro Tech RC 6, Orion Starshoot II Pro Imager,
QHY 5 II Guide Camera and 30mm Guidescope,
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars,
20/20 or better vision in both eyes due to recent cataract surgery!!!
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Hi Darryl,
Unless you sent a "factory RESET" command, then it is still fine. At the "Hello" prompt you can send "###" and it should come back "Diagnostic Mode Disabled". From the commands above it looks like you are manually sending sequences to go from serial to wifi and back, and from tcp to udp without being connected via the serial and/or wifi port. Based on the fact that you only get a "Hello" response when on wifi and tcp, that is what the box is configured for. You should select tcp and make sure you are connected via wifi and send an "ESY!" after you see the "Hello" to put it in udp mode. After you do that, then you should be able to connect to it with ExploreStars.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Hi Darryl

The button you hit on the box next to the power connector is just a controller reset (reboot) button. It basically restarts the controller without restarting the wifi module. To restart the wifi module along with the controller you disconnect and reconnect the power.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Darryl Ellis

Thanks for responding Jerry.

Funny,  "###" did not come back "Diagnostic Mode Disabled".

However, I just got a DTech usb to serial cable with a FTDI  chip that worked immediately after hooking everything up.  It works perfectly.

Thanks for everything and for all the help provided by everyone on the forum.

This is what I needed to move forward with my AP plans for this mount..

Darryl

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Astro Tech RC 6, Orion Starshoot II Pro Imager,
QHY 5 II Guide Camera and 30mm Guidescope,
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars,
20/20 or better vision in both eyes due to recent cataract surgery!!!
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Wes Mcdonald

Darryl

Good.  Always the danged converter

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Darryl Ellis

Yep, you were right.  The shame of it is that the Startech which did not work cost more than the Dtech that did work.  And, the Dtech cable is longer and of higher quality though like you pointed out, the male/female converter was probably the culprit.

Thanks for your help and for taking the time to delve into my connection issues.  It was very much appreciated.

Darryl
--

DHEllis59, Dover, DE
Astro Tech RC 6, Orion Starshoot II Pro Imager,
QHY 5 II Guide Camera and 30mm Guidescope,
Orion ST120mm With Electronic AccuFocuser,
Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight
Celestron Luminous 31mm, Meade MWA 10mm, and 5mm EPs
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars,
20/20 or better vision in both eyes due to recent cataract surgery!!!
"The LORD by wisdom founded the earth, By understanding He established the heavens" - Proverbs 3:19

Dan Kahraman

I am getting the same message. When I did an ASCOM diagnostics I get the error message access to COM port 3 is denied. Doesn't say why. But now I know why there is no connection. I don't understand why the commands sent via the serial port are being received.

I notice the baud rate is greyed out. I think going into properties of the device and setting the baud rate to the right amount (112,500) may resolve that problem.

Dan Kahraman

Dan Kahraman

The 112,500 baud rate is still greyed out in the PMC8 utility for the EXOS2 mount selection. I am going to reboot the computer to see if the changes have taken effect.

If not I will try another DB9 to USB cable.

Dan Kahraman

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 09:29 AM, Dan Kahraman wrote:
I am getting the same message. When I did an ASCOM diagnostics I get the error message access to COM port 3 is denied. Doesn't say why. But now I know why there is no connection. I don't understand why the commands sent via the serial port are being received.

I notice the baud rate is greyed out. I think going into properties of the device and setting the baud rate to the right amount (112,500) may resolve that problem.

Dan Kahraman
Hi Dan,

When you open up the Device Manager, do you see Com Port 3? If you do see the com port, there is no need to set the baud rate in the USB com port settings as the program sets the baud rate correctly. Also how do you know the commands sent to the serial port are being received? Are you using a DB9 Serial to USB adapter that uses an FTDI chip set?

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dan Kahraman

ASCOM Diagnostics message after rebooting:

No longer being denied access to COM3 but timed out waiting for data. Still no cigar but suggestive of further modifications in the device/cable settings. I have no idea what those should be.

Dan Kahraman

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 09:33, Dan Kahraman via Groups.Io <dkahra213=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
The 112,500 baud rate is still greyed out in the PMC8 utility for the EXOS2 mount selection. I am going to reboot the computer to see if the changes have taken effect.

If not I will try another DB9 to USB cable.

Dan Kahraman

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 09:29, Dan Kahraman via Groups.Io <dkahra213=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am getting the same message. When I did an ASCOM diagnostics I get the error message access to COM port 3 is denied. Doesn't say why. But now I know why there is no connection. I don't understand why the commands sent via the serial port are being received.

I notice the baud rate is greyed out. I think going into properties of the device and setting the baud rate to the right amount (112,500) may resolve that problem.

Dan Kahraman

Dan Kahraman

Hi Jerry:

You have thrown a few question that I can answer and one that I can't:

For the ones I cannot answer:
COM3 shows up immediately under COM Port but I also get the error message "Mount does not appear to be connected"

The DB9 to USB cable is FTDI enabled, written on the plug. I installed the drivers..so ??

Dan Kahraman

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Dan

The device manager needs the laptop to be connected to the PMC 8 wifi initially.  It just seems to work that way.

1.  Plug everything up
2.  Clean boot PMC8
3,. Connect laptop to PMC wifi
4.  Boot configuration Manager
5.  Set exos2 or whatever in basics tab
6.  Refresh comm port via refresh button
7. Select comm port in drop box
8.  Press top right do it button to find current connection....probably TCP
9.  Press change to serial button.

Do what you wanted to do.