Topics

sticky Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 post your picture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iexos-100 #astrophotography

Chris Tardif

Great....Here is my North America nebula....I am still trying to figure out Field of View... your Z61 is 360 * 1.6 for the APSC sensor effective FL of 576?

Canon T5i – unmodified.

ISO 800 – 30X 180sec

Canon 400mm Prime lens effective focal length of 640mm

Autoguided

This picture has the dubious distinction of being the first photo that turned out where I (mostly) hit what I was aiming at.   The FOV was a surprise....I am starting to think 400mm is the exact wrong FL.  Too short for galaxies (opinions welcome) and too long for these nebulae. 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: June 5, 2019 8:38 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 post yourpicture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iexos-100

I should add that the reduced is a 1/1 flattener

Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 4:42 AM
To:
MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 post yourpicture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iexos-100

@jim did you use a reducer?

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Heckt <drstrangelv60@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:04:21 AM
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Astrophotography done with the iEXOS-100 post your picture and details lets show what this mount can do. #iexos-100

"North American Nebula"
Shot under Seattle Bortle 8 skies
7, 90 sec exposures unguided
10 Darks, Flats and Bias.
ISO 1600 Canon Full Spectrum Mod
L-Pro Filter used
Williams Z-61 Scope
Mount iEXOS-100 
Stacked and processed in APP and final work in PS 2019
by
Jim Heckt

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 09:01 AM, Chris Tardif wrote:
Great....Here is my North America nebula....I am still trying to figure out Field of View..

You can calculate your field of view based on some of your systems specs.  If you know your camera's ccd pixel size, and resolution, and your focal length, then you can calculate the FOV directly:

Plate Scale (arc-sec/pixel) = Pixel size (microns) x 206.265 / Focal Length
FOV (degrees) = Number of pixels x Plate Scale / 3600 

So for your camera - Canon Rebel T5i the pixel size based on the information I could find on your sensor is 4.3 microns, the resolution is 5184 x 3456 pixels (I assume you are using full resolution) and your FL is 400 mm

Plate Scale = 4.3 x 206.265 / 400
                   = 2.217 arc-sec/pixel

FOV (long side)   = 5184 x 2.217 / 3600
                            = 3.192 degrees
FOV (short side) = 3456 x 2.217 / 3600
                           = 2.128 degrees

FOV = 3.20 x 2.13 degrees

If you don't know your focal length or anything else about your image, you can submit your full-size image to nova.astrometry.net and it will do a plate solve to tell you the center coordinates (RA,DEC) of your image, the FL and FOV.
I submitted your image and here are the results

http://nova.astrometry.net/user_images/2870467#original

The pixel scale for the image you attached is larger because you reduced the full-size image down by a factor of about 4.7x The FOV is very close to what the calculation shows above.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jim Heckt

I keep hoping to see other port shots here, alas....well here's another of mine. #iEXOS-100 mount

This mount is the little engine that can!

24 105 sec exposures unguided, 10 Flats, Darks and Bias Williams Z61 scope with flattener 

Canon T6i Full Spectrum Mod Filter L-Pro ISO 1600 shot under Seattle skies the Wizard Nebula

Stacked and processing APP and PS 2019 Cropped

Chris Tardif

Very nice....I’ve been thinking about switching to a small scope from my camera lens and the Z61 is on the list.  You like it I presume?  Any feedback on it?

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Heckt <drstrangelv60@...>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 9:01:39 PM

I keep hoping to see other port shots here, alas....well here's another of mine. #iEXOS-100 mount

This mount is the little engine that can!

24 105 sec exposures unguided, 10 Flats, Darks and Bias Williams Z61 scope with flattener 

Canon T6i Full Spectrum Mod Filter L-Pro ISO 1600 shot under Seattle skies the Wizard Nebula

Stacked and processing APP and PS 2019 Cropped

Jim Johnston

I have posted my success thus far taking pics with this mount here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/643240-now-available-our-new-explore-scientific-iexos-100-pmc-eight-399/ 
--

Explore Scientific ED127, SkyWatcher ED80, Astro-tech AT60ED

Samyang 135mm & 14mm Lens

ZWO ASI 224MC, ZWO ASI 1600MM-C, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, ZWO ASI 120mm Mini, ZWO ASI 294MC Pro

iOptron CEM60, iOptron Tri-Pier, Explore Scientific iEXOS 100 Mount, Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro

Chris Tardif

One more for the little mount!

81 X 3 minute exposures...punching way above it weight....literally....The tracking was excellent even if my camera is noisy and post-processing is anemic.

Chris

Mount: Explore Scientific: IEXOS-100

Scopes: Explore Scientific 102mm FCD-100, Canon 400mm lens

Cameras:  Canon T3i(mod), T5i (stock), Altair GPCAM2-130-mono

Software: ASCOM, PHD, ATP, Starrynight, Stellarium, OneDrive, SharpCap
Computer:  Intel NUC and an ugly thing I built myself.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jim Johnston <jtjohnston25@...>
Sent: June 18, 2019 8:16 AM

I have posted my success thus far taking pics with this mount here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/643240-now-available-our-new-explore-scientific-iexos-100-pmc-eight-399/ 
--

Explore Scientific ED127, SkyWatcher ED80, Astro-tech AT60ED

Samyang 135mm & 14mm Lens

ZWO ASI 224MC, ZWO ASI 1600MM-C, ZWO ASI183MM Pro, ZWO ASI 120mm Mini, ZWO ASI 294MC Pro

iOptron CEM60, iOptron Tri-Pier, Explore Scientific iEXOS 100 Mount, Skywatcher Star Adventurer Pro

Harry

Hi Chris, What a great shot. If I can ask a couple of questions to clarify.

No telescope was used. Just camera and lens?
No auto guiding. Just the iExos 100 tracking?
Thanks,  Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8,
Oberwerk 5000 Tripod, Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Chris Tardif

I used my 3 day old Explore Scientific 102mm FCD-100....guided.

Chris

Mount: Explore Scientific: IEXOS-100

Scopes: Explore Scientific 102mm FCD-100, Canon 400mm lens

Cameras:  Canon T3i(mod), T5i (stock), Altair GPCAM2-130-mono

Software: ASCOM, PHD, ATP, Starrynight, Stellarium, OneDrive, SharpCap
Computer:  Intel NUC and an ugly thing I built myself.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Harry via Groups.Io <flykai1@...>
Sent: July 4, 2019 11:58 AM

Hi Chris, What a great shot. If I can ask a couple of questions to clarify.

No telescope was used. Just camera and lens?
No auto guiding. Just the iExos 100 tracking?
Thanks,  Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8,
Oberwerk 5000 Tripod, Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Wes Mcdonald

Jordan, Wow!  Nice.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
PMC-8, ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Paul Jenkins <urbanastronomer60@...>

Nice photo
I just got the Iexos -100. What do you mean by sub -optimal guiding 
Paul

On 7 Jul 2019, at 18:10, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Jordan, Wow!  Nice.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

Jordan Lowry

My total RMS error in PHD 2 is usually around 2 - 2.5 arc seconds, ideally it would be around or under 1, but it works well enough for the exposures I can get away with because of light pollution. 
Jordan

--
Mount: Explore Scientific iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight
Main Scope: Orion ST80
Imaging Camera: Canon 1000D Modified
Guide Scope: MEOPTEX 50mm guide scope
Guide Camera: QHY5R-II-C Guide Camera

Wes Mcdonald

Jordan:

You might want to read through this (unless you are a pro and it sure looks like you are) https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/31941122#3826

Seems to me that for the focal length of that ST80 and the pixel size of your guide camera, you are getting about all you can get.

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

Jordan Lowry

Thanks Wes,

I didn't think about the pixel size of my guide camera. A new guide camera is on my wishlist, as it can be difficult getting a polar alignment in SharpCap with the huge pixels, even at 200mm, and the 5R-II-C is very noisy and not very sensitive.  

Either way, I'm still happy with the performance all things considered. I'm quite impressed with the little ST80.

Jordan.

--

Wes Mcdonald

Jordan

I just ran across this thread again and noticed you are using sharpcap on our guide camera.  Can you use it with your main scope and camera?

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

Jordan Lowry

Wes, 

I haven’t really tried the QHY with my main scope, the only time i did I had trouble finding focus. Since I use a DSLR as my main cam I can’t use that with sharpcap. I’ve gotten the settings in SharpCap dialed in enough to where i can polar align in about 20 minutes, going through the routine twice. I use 5.6 - 6 second exposures at about 88 gain and it seems to work good enough, it only uses around 7 stars typically. I found it’s crucial to use dark frames or else it picks up too much noise. 

Jordan

On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 12:24 PM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
Jordan

I just ran across this thread again and noticed you are using sharpcap on our guide camera.  Can you use it with your main scope and camera?

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

--

Jordan,

FWIW, I start my Sharpcap PA process from the rotated-90 position and finish with the scope upright in the home position.  So the alignment finishes with the weight distribution hopefully closer to where the scope will be when it's in use.  In a perfect world... :-)

I used to do back-to-back PA's as well, but between some stabilization work on my tripod, and this process, I'm back down to one.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

star_gazer_sam <stargazer890@...>

Hi Folks,
    I also found that using sharpcap with my regular autoguider and guide scope was the best way to get polar alignment.  The only issue with the EX0S-100, is that for the azimuth, you need to loosen the bottom bolt and rotate the entire mount head to make adjustments, and there is no way to make small precise movements.  That is something else that I hope Explore Scientific is considering as an improvement.

Regards,
 Dominic

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2019 12:24 PM

Jordan

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC

W.F.

Hello together,
at the 9th of august i have take this picture with my iEXOS 100.
I just put it in the North direction an did a 2 star allignment.
My Camera is a Canon 1000D, i used a Tamron Tele 28 to 200mm ( the piture is by 200mm ).
For my first test is take 59 pictures by 15 seconds and 20 darks.
I guess when i take also flats the pitucture will become better.
Anyway i learn by doing.
Clear Skies and greetings Wolfgang.

Wes Mcdonald

Wolfgang

Nice!  If you could just move your black level up a bit a lot of the background noise would disappear.  

What iso did you shoot?

How was your go-to

How often did you recenter?

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

W.F.

Hi Wes,
sorry i forgot to tell, the ISO was 1600.
I used Explorestars for go-to and i did not recenter.
Well the work with the picture software i also have to learn better.
I use free software for that.
Using an equatorial mount and go-to is brand new for me.
Before i used an table tripot, if you know the old Bausch & Lomb 4000 from the 80´s. It is similar to the Meade 1000.
Not easy to find an object with that.
Allways was the table in the way, special by objects in the zenit.
Greetings Wolfgang.